Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Antigua #64861 02/12/10 05:29 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Our tour in Antigua was a helicopter tour of Montserrat. We saw some new pyroclastic flow -

the edge of it where it met the ocean turned the ocean to steam, and buildings that were in the way were burning, sending up plumes of smoke.

The only thing we saw there that was in the least like a lighthouse was abandoned sugar mills in the Exclusion Zone

But I did take a photo of something that may be a lighthouse from the ship when it was docked in Antigua

I think this is the Sandy Island lighthouse.

When I looked at the Lighthouse Directory, I found that I had another photo from a previous trip that was lighthouse related. That was a photo of the Black Swan which was a lightship, and has been converted to give tourists a Pirate Ship experience.

This black with white trim ship was (before it was converted to a faux pirate ship) originally named Rana and berthed at Hadsund, Denmark. Unfortunately, I was just taking photos of the harbor in general so it isn't that good a photo of the ship.

There is also another lighthouse in St. John's, but I didn't see it.

Re: Antigua #64862 04/13/10 02:06 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I decided to organize my photos of Antigua and came upon this one

Well -- what is that? It looks like a lighthouse doesn't it?

This is the same picture cropped

So what do you do in a case like that? I go to the Lighthouse Directory

That tells me that the St. John's Light was built in 1905 and was intended as a lighthouse, but never activated.

Quote:
This light was apparently built as part of a project to develop a large sugar refinery near St. John's. It was intended as the rear light of a range, but it proved to be in the wrong position for that purpose, and it was never commissioned. Located behind Island Motors, an auto dealership on Independence Street, on a hill several blocks behind the waterfront of St. John's

Re: Antigua #64863 04/13/10 08:44 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Very interesting, thank you for sharing!

smile Bob

Re: Antigua #64864 04/13/10 11:24 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, It looks like they built the light too far from the shore to be of any use. That and more housing between it and the shore really nixed it need!

Great pics !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Antigua #64865 04/13/10 01:09 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, John and I took a walk while we were in St. John's to check out the lighthouse. It's pretty much just a rusty looking shell in not a very nice area.

My non-lighthouse friends thought I was a bit "wacko" for taking them along to see this lighthouse. confused

Re: Antigua #64866 04/13/10 01:24 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:

My non-lighthouse friends thought I was a bit "wacko" for taking them along to see this lighthouse. confused

[/QB]
biglaugh waytogo
No Lorie, just one of us.

Good job Rosalie, look what you've uncovered for us.

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 846 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users