Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64483 06/22/00 12:34 PM
akmn Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well Mindy and I have finally decided when and where to take the summer vacation. But we need some suggestions and tips from you seasoned lighthousers. We live in Minnesota and would like to take an expedition from Duluth-thru Northern Wisconsin-Into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan-to the lower peninsula down the western side of Michigan. We have 11 full days to do this in and would like to know the lighthouses we can see, the ones we should skip and any travel tips or warnings you might have that could save us some time and or money (GAS PRICES!!!) Thanks in Advance for the help...we leave July 21 and are due back on July 31. Thanks again, Adam and Mindy in Minnesota.

Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64484 06/22/00 01:23 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just speaking for the lighthouses I have visited, here are a few that are a must:

Old Mackinac Point - Hey, you have to come across the bridge anyway. It is right there and is a fantastic lighthouse.

Grand Traverse- The museum is worth stopping for alone. Throw in the lighthouse and well... It is a bit out of the way however, being in the Leelanau Peninsula about 40 miles north of Traverse City.

If you follow the coast down the western side of Michigan, there really aren't any not worth stopping at.

How can you pass up Pt. Betsie, Big Sable, Little Sable, ect, ect....

If you have access to Michigan Lighthouses by Penrose, check it out. It will be a big help in planning your trip, as well as giving pretty good directions on how to access the lights.

My copy is getting pretty worn after visiting many western Michigan lighthouses the last few years. From north to south the following are all recommended:

Old Mackinaw
Old Mission Point
Grand Traverse
Point Betsie
Frankfort North Breakwater
Manistee North Pierhead
Big Sable Point
Ludington North Pierhead
Little Sable Point

Those are the ones I have visited. There are many more I have missed on that side of the state that are worthy as well. I will defer those to someone who has visited them.

If you have a day to kill, the ferry ride to South Manitou Island is a good trip. It will take you past North Manitou Light and to South Manitou Island where you can climb the South Manitou tower.

I don't know if my ramblings helped, but good luck on your trip.

-Todd

Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64485 06/22/00 09:32 PM
Brent Offline
I agree with Todd....if you can get your hands on a copy of the book, "Michigan Lighthouses" by Penrose it'll be a great help to you.....its a classic. While I'm at it...as you are driving through the Upper Peninsula don't forget to check out "Point Iroquois" and "Whitefish Point". Good Luck with your lighthouse-hunting!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64486 06/23/00 01:30 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
From Duluth going East:
On Lake Superior:
Superior, WI - Wisconsin Point is easy to drive to.

Apostle Islands, WI - There are several boat cruises to various islands. There is a shuttle to Raspberry Island or to Sand Island. Sand Island is a 1 1/2 mile hike to the lighthouse. At Raspberry Island the boat docks close to the lighthouse. At this lighthouse the tourguides are dressed in period custumes. The multi-island cruise goes past and close to several islands but does not dock. On this cruise I saw Raspberry Island lighthouse and Devils Island lighthouse. Be sure to reserve cruise tickets ahead of time to ensure getting tickets.

Keweenaw Penisula, Michigan -
Sand Hills Lighthouse is now a bed & breakfast and the grounds are open to the public. Eagle Harbor - open for tours, museums on grounds, lovely view. Copper Harbor - view from the mainland or take boat tour to the island and museum. There are more lighthouses on this peninsula, these are the most visited.

Marquette, Michigan - Harbor Light(red building)grounds are now open to the public and there is also a museum nearby. Presque Isle Harbor breakwater is in a lovely park full of deer and raccoons that are not afraid to be viewed. 23 miles North of Marquette is Big Bay Point. This is also a bed & breakfast and is open for tours at special times two days a week. If you are not there at a tour time, you may still walk to the light and on the grounds for pictures.

Munising, Michigan - Munising Front and Rear range lights. Grand Island East Channel Light can be viewed across the lake or on the Pictured Rocks boat cruise.

Au Sable Point, MI is a bit off the beaten track on a dirt road and then 1 1/2 mile hike. Crisp Point, MI is even more off the beaten track on a rough dirt road that one may need a vehicle that can handle that type of road. The road has been upgraded lately. If you don't have the time or like dirt roads, skip these.

Whitefish Point is a must see. The road is paved. The museums here are very good.

Point Iroquois, MI is another must see. It is open to the public and you can climb the tower.

Upper Peninsula on Lake Michigan:
It doesn't sound like you will be driving along the U.P. on Lake Michigan, but I will mention these: Escanaba - Sand Point Lighthouse and museum. This is open to the public and you can climb the tower. Manistique East Breakwater- cannot miss this red pier light as one drives on the hwy through town.

Seul Choix Point - Wonderfully restored, museums, open to the public, can climb the tower. Picturesque, lighthouse birdhouse. This light is near Gulliver, Michgan. Some people do drive from the Mackinac bridge area to see this light.

If you have questions or need directions for any of these, let me know. There are several good Great Lakes lighthouse books with pictures and directions.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64487 06/23/00 01:37 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I agree with Todd on the lighthouses he mentioned along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.
To his list I would add White River Lighthouse (open to the public, museum, can climb the tower), Grand Haven, Holland Harbor, South Haven, St Joseph Pier, Old Michigan City (house open to public, museum), and Michigan City East Pier.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64488 06/23/00 02:23 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Adam,
As Todd has already mentioned, buy Penrose's book - Travelers Guide to 116 Michigan Lighthouses. For this trip you should also buy Traveler's Guide to 116 Western Great Lakes Lighthouses. (And, yes, there is one for the Eastern GL). These books are $15 a pop and worth 10 times that in having all the directions in one place. In only a very few cases have the directions not been logical, easy to follow and dead on accurate. Check bookstores in your area, look in the travel section. HL does also have the books available, but you might want to see if they are the most current. These books pretty much cover every light along the way, in a logical sequence from one place looping all the way around the area they cover.

Now, for my 2 cents worth of suggestions. On the UP, DO NOT skip Seul Choix, Point Iriquois and Whitefish Point. All 3 of these could be done in one day, with an included stop at the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie (most interesting). I loved Raspberry Island in the Apostles, but if you want to take a cruise call ahead. Search Lighthouse Digests web site for recent stories on this area - there should be several.

In my opinion, Au Sable is well worth all the hassle to get to it. And believe me, we endured a major hassle to get there. The roads (and I use that term loosley) are very, very washboarded. I wish I had been driving my Jeep. We were pulling our full size pop-up camper and had to stop several times to re-attach the bicycles to the normally very secure carrying rack. But, the beauty of the light station and the lake and the area in general was well worth it. Painted Rocks is a great area.

You must stop in Mackinaw and go out to visit Mackinac Island. Wall to wall people, too many bicycles, but a wonderful day.

All the lights on the west coast of MI are worth visiting. Start at the top and keep going till you run out of time. Don't skip one, 'cause you will late wish you hadn't - you can always come back and pick up where you left off.

Anyone who has visited this area could go on and on and make a case as to why you should visit each and every one of the lights. That is one of the great things about Michigan- don't have to go too far along any shoreline before you find a lighthouse! Ain't life great?!?

Have a great trip.

Dave

Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64489 06/23/00 09:46 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Regarding the dirt roads: Yes they can be very difficult depending on recent rains and washouts. My point is that you need to be aware that traveling on many of the U.P's. dirt roads can take much more time than one may have planned for. The dirt roads to Au Sable are very long especially if you are only traveling at a speed of 25 miles or less per hour. This can eat up a great deal of time. Your vehicle also has to be one that can handle this type of thing. Then there once you get to the parking area, there is a 1 1/2 mile hike to Au Sable. Bring the bug repellant! (mosquitoes and black flies).

The last time I went here, I drove the paved roads to Grand Marais and then took the dirt road from there to the Log slide overlook. Here one can see the great sand dunes and Au Sable at the end of the peninsula. Some people hike from here, but I continued further along the dirt road to the other parking lot, where the hike is shorter.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64490 06/23/00 09:57 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Other good books for photos, directions and reference:

Western Great Lakes Lighthouses - Michigan and Superior by Bruce Roberts and Ray Jones

Lighthouses of Michigan by John Penrod

Hunts' Guide to Michigan's Upper Peninsula by Mary and Don Hunt

Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme Mapping (Detailed Maps of the Entire State) This is very useful in the U.P.

Great Lakes Lighthouses American & Canadian (A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses American & Canadian) by Wes Oleszewski

I also recommend Penrose's books: A Traveler's Guide to 116 Michigan Lighthouses; and A Traveler's Guide to 116 Western Great Lakes Lighthouses.

Lake Superior Magazine's Annual Travel Issue includes a map of the Lake Superior area, places to eat and stay, and lists numerous sites of interest and tips on traveling. Barnes and Noble is one bookstore that does carry this magazine and the Annual Travel Issue.

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Murphy (edited 06-23-2000).]

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Lighthousing Suggestions NEEDED!!!! #64491 06/23/00 10:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There has been lots of great tips so far, I would suggest if you have a bike rack for your car, bikes will come in handy at a few places, Big Sable has about a 1 1/2 mile road back to the lighthouse (each way - employee cars only), Holland has a very limited schedule when they will let cars go back to the lighthouse but they will let you bike in anytime, and you can bring bikes to Mackinaw Island on the ferry for a small charge (like 4-5 dollars) or you can rent bikes on the island too.
And Yes Whitefish Point IS a must

P.S. And don't forget to send all 600 plus other Lighthouse lovers a postcard from the trip

Also: When you get to your first start park in Michigan I suggust you buy the annual pass, It is $20.00 and it will get you in to all the state parks for the rest of the year.
My annual pass pays for its self in one trip to Michigan

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 06-23-2000).]

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,287 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users