Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63464 06/26/01 11:58 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
From shore to shore, I'll see some more!----Lighthouses that is.

The school bell rings at 2pm on Tuesday, July 3rd and I am off to points West and East. Thanks to President Bush, the American flight leaves at 4:55 from TPA. I'll be in San Diego before they welcome in the 4th of July and already look forward to the parade in Coronado. A visit to the HL home office on Thursday, just before flying off to Seattle, will be a great treat. Once in WA we are seeing as many lights as possible. Some will be new to me, but my cousin, who will be traveling with me, has not seen any.
We will do two flyovers...one on the 6th that will put Flattery, Destruction, and New Dungeness in my camera lens. If you are in the area, we have one more seat in the plane. Let me know. Someone I spoke to today said they are expecting very low tides on the days I am to be in the area and perhaps I will be able to walk out.
On the 7th, we will be driving from Port Townsend up to Anacortes to do another fly over of the islands you have to have a boat to get to. Sunday we are going to pay Darlene a visit at Mukilteo and see a couple of lights in the Seattle area before going back to San Diego. Monday we are driving up to Los Angeles to climb Pt. Vicente. Hopefully, we will be able to take a boat out to Los Angeles Harbor, but will have to wait and see.

I'll be in the Nashville area from July 10th- 14th to spend some quality time with a dear college friend and her family.

On the 14th, I fly to Baltimore to meet my Mother and Aunt and we begin to see the Chesapeake area again. My mother does so enjoy all the area and we go almost every summer. This year, I have made many plans and phone calls and am determined to see Fishing Battery(south of Havre de Grace.) Turkey Point is one I have missed, but will see this time, and then on to Tilghman Island for a great boat trip that will take me as far north as Poole's Island. Hopefully, Sean and Ken will be able to meet me for this trip. To end the trip, the last two days while we are in Smithville, I intend on seeing as many of the VA lights, that are in the water, as possible. One flyover and some other boat rides should just about get me get caught up.

So, Dave, I'll have to take another suitcase along with the "Barbie" one. Gonna be gone too long.

If you have any tips just email me.
Derith

PS I will return to Tampa on the 19th. On the 21st, I will go to Hillsboro Inlet with the FLS and get to climb it and then on the 22nd we are going to charter a boat out to Fowey Rocks. With that accomplishment, I will have photographed all of the FL lighthouses!!!

Sorry for rambling on......

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 06-26-2001).]

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63465 06/27/01 12:42 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Will Ken be bringing his suitcase also?

Wow, that's some itinerary Derith, sounds grand! Where's HL going to send you that you haven't already been???

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63466 06/27/01 02:11 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Wow, that's some itinerary Derith, sounds grand! Where's HL going to send you that you haven't already been???

Iceland

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63467 06/27/01 01:18 PM
CarolZ Offline
Nana,
What a great trip you have planned!!! And you say I get to go to all the good places?
You have photographed all of the FL lighthouses? We would like to see all the ones out in the ocean around the Keys from Miami to Key West. Do you know of any planes or boats for hire that will allow us to see all in 1 day? We may be heading down there in the winter (like all snowbirds) HAVE FUN!!!

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63468 06/27/01 01:38 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
For Derith's photos of the offshore FL Key lights, visit her Gallery:

www.harbourlights.com/galleries/derith_bennett.htm

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63469 06/28/01 12:06 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Derith,

It sound like a real great trip you have planned. If I can be of any help with any of the chesapeake lights, feel free to email me.

Just so you know, be prepared to walk 3 miles or so roundtrip to Turkey Point. It can be quite a hike depending on what the weather is like.

I will actually be seeing Pooles Island this August on another of the Chesapeake Chapters cruises. So let me know what your trip was like when you get back.

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63470 06/28/01 12:20 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks Bryan....

Regarding Cape Charles, I spoke to someone today in the town of Cape Charles who told me there are charter boats that go out of Oyster, VA and that is a lot closer than Virginia Beach....I'm calling them tomorrow.

A great surprise came in the form of a phone call out of the blue tonight. Sometime ago, I had contacted a lady about her photos of Fishing Battery that I saw on the net. A friend of hers who has a boat called to say she would be happy to take us out to the island and dock so I could take pictures. It is all coming together.
Derith

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63471 07/03/01 02:13 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The plane leaves at 4:55pm today....I'll be on my way! Will experience Wacko withdrawal but will try to let the lighthouses I see make up for not being on the forum....
Derith

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63472 07/05/01 07:31 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have managed to jump off and on a few times. But, the first real item on my list was to go to the Harbour Lights home office in El Cajon. That was accomplished this morning.

It was so lovely to see Kim again and to catch up. (No secrets tho') I have really missed her at some of the Regionals.

Meeting Zina, in the flesh, was one of my big goals and I got to do that today. Sweet, sweet Zina, how we all love your personality and that laugh of yours...highly contagious!

It was great to see Maureen, Michelle and Harry again after just being with them in Chicago. East and West aren't that far apart afterall. Nancy is still on the Greece trip and Bill flew out this morning for MN.

All in all, it felt like I was visiting my favorite relatives, which the Harbour Lights family feels like to all of us. Thanks Ya'll!!!

In a few hours my cousin and I will be flying to Seattle..Can't wait! More later.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 07-05-2001).]

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63473 07/06/01 01:25 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Nana:
... and Bill flew out this morning for MN.

Did Bill make his own travel arrangements again? He is suposed to be in Marshall, MI for a Friday afternoon signing event. Will be kind of a long drive from MN.

(or does Derith need remediation in officially sanctioned state abbreviations?)

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 07-05-2001).]

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63474 07/10/01 02:09 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Don't know where he was going but I was told he had flown out to Minnesota. So, do I need remediation? If they said Michigan..I need a hearing aide! Want to start a fund for me, Dave? I've spent all my money on this trip I'm taking.
Derith

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63475 07/10/01 12:27 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Broke already and you're only part way thru the trip! How has the lighthousing been so far? Have you had pretty days so you will have those classic blue sky lighthouse pics?

I will start a fund for you. People can mail their donations to me, and I will hold them for when you decide to actually come visit the area with the greatest number of lighthouses, the Great Lakes!

Dave

p.s. On your check, please be sure to note that it is for the "Derith Relief Fund"

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63476 07/10/01 01:04 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Actually, that supreme weatherman has provided the MOST beautiful weather some of these areas have seen in a while. Washington by air was absolutely breathtaking. Yesterday when we were at Vincente the sky was picture perfect. I'll tell you all about the trip when I am in Clarksville, TN for the next few days.

The SWA jet leaves San Diego this morning at 10:05. Next stop, Nashville, TN.

I am having a great trip...thank all of you whose prayers are with me.

Now, about those checks you are sending to Dave!

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 07-10-2001).]

Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63477 07/11/01 06:54 PM
P
Pam Baggett Offline
P
Derrith,
I expect to see you while you are in Clarksville, Please make plans to come by Camera World Wed, the 11th after 4:30 - Fri, the 13th after 4:30 or Sat the 14 from 10-5. That is my schedule there. I am also off at 3:30 Thurs from my main job and have the entire evening to get together for a while.
I would love to see you!!! We have lots to talk about.
Pam

Pam B.
Re: From shore to shore, I'll see some more! #63478 07/14/01 10:16 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Getting ready to begin the last leg of my trip today. Plane leaves Nashville at 1:05 and arrives Baltimore at 3:45. My Mother and aunt will be waiting for me and off we'll go to Havre de Grace for the night.

Great trip so far.

Derith

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,821 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users