Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63156 09/03/02 10:59 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

We start off the day with a return swing by Coquille lighthouse as we prepare to leave Bandon OR.

Of course our good friend, the fog, comes back in --which happens about every hour or so....wait an hour and it goes away, wait another and it comes back in.

When we arrived at Cape Blanco, something is missing--the lighthouse! We can't see the next hill. We decided to make the hike down that hill and up the next hill, thru the fog, just in case...

The trip was well worthwhile since Cape Blanco was in bright sunshine with no fog when we got there. Plus, we had it all to ourselves! No more Labor Day crowds.

There is one thing to note--someone said it is the windiest place on the coast....and it surely seemed like it. It is in a beautiful location and comes complete with a Fresnel Lens.

One of the delicate wild flowers along the path on the way back to the car from Cape Blanco

If you look REAL close, in the upper left hand corner of this image, you will see something sticking up out of the water which happens to be Cape St. George Lighthouse, over 5 miles away.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63157 09/03/02 11:01 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

By driving down the coast from Cape St George, we were able to get an early look at Battery Point Lighthouse, which as we find out can be seen from many places along the coast at Crescent Point, CA.

I thought I'd show the back side of the lighthouse for all of you who have purchased a recently released HL version so you can compare it to the real thing.

Sue's favorite sky (She calls this a "God Sky") appears as we prepare to leave the lighthouse to check in at the motel and then eat supper.

Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63158 09/04/02 01:48 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

After supper, we raced back to Battery Point to beat the setting sun

It is the "God sky" again, with the sunset. This image was shot only about 100 yards away from the spot where I shot the other sunset image, a minute or so before. It really pays to "move your feet"!

Missiona: West Regional Day 5

Mission: West Regional day 7

Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63159 09/04/02 02:14 AM
Art Offline
I love that last shot at sunset, Paul. And I'm sure glad that you were able to find Cape Blanco in that fog. You'd think that if there was one thing that wouldn't get lost in a fog, it would be a lighthouse. You'd be wrong. If you've ever seen Cape Blanco fog, you'd understand.

I like your shots of the flora, but I hear the Humane Society is pressing for equal time for West Coast fauna. Any good Sasquatch shots?

Back to the ether from whence I came...

-Art
Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63160 09/04/02 07:07 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Wow....

Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63161 09/04/02 08:17 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Once again, thanks for sharing those great pics. The "God Sky" pics were extremely interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a cloud pattern like that. I guess it comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

Nice job, Paul!

smile Bob smile

Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63162 09/04/02 10:10 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Art:
I love that last shot at sunset, Paul. And I'm sure glad that you were able to find Cape Blanco in that fog. Any good Sasquatch shots?

Back to the ether from whence I came...
I agree with Art!

PS - Hey, Joannie! I hope Geri and Basil are following this?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63163 09/04/02 11:56 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

Great shots once again. Keep the pictures coming, I feel like I'm taking a West Coast tour of lighthouses.

Bob, we had a "God sky" just like it Sunday evening at sunset. Sharon and I were out for a walk locally, and I kicked myself for not having brought my camera. A real nice sunset, no lighthouse to put into the picture but a nice "God sky".

Can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't put up a lighthouse here in Bellingham or North Attleboro for that matter.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Mission: West Regional Day 6 #63164 09/05/02 08:15 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Bert, ... We once had a lighthouse in North Attleboro. When I was a kid, there was a lighthouse right at the intersection of Rtes 1, 120, & 1A. Right next to the intersection there was a service station named "Lighthouse Texaco". They had a rather large model of a lighthouse right near the tip of the delta at the intersection.

Lighthouse Texaco was eventually replaced by a Howard Johnsons, which was eventually replaced by CVS Pharmacy.

So now you know the rest of the story...

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,296 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users