Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62685 07/28/04 05:32 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Continued from Pt 2
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000837

We took a little bit of time getting out to thomas Point. I was a bit surprised when we got there, though.

I always had the impression that it was further off shore than it actually is. I always got the impression that it couldn't be viewed from land but it seemed to me that it could be seen from some points on land.

Here's some photos of Thomas Point-

Here again you can see that it also needs some loving care- which it will be getting soon. Shirin is already volunteering in another thread to work on it and nobody's even asked her yet. laugh

Here's a shot that Esther took of me in front of the lighthouse-

Here's one last shot just before we left for the trip back-

I took a couple of pictures as we motored our way back to the dock. the first one is the dome of the Cathedral on the Naval Academy grounds-

This last shot is of the Maryland Capitol Building-

We walked around the streets of Annapolis for a bit until it started to rain. luckily we had toured many of the sights the last time we were in annpolis- including the Naval Academy and the Capitol Building.

We went to see a movie that night. We saw The Notebook- a definite "chick" flick. I had one guy say to me as he went by to get to his seat- "Great at least here's one other guy here" .

I enjoyed the movie and I think there was even a fleeting glimpse of a Lighthouse in it. I can't be sure because it was only a split second shot.

I know it was filmed partially in south Carolina so it's possible.

The weekend was great except for the weather which actually could have been worse.

Dennis

Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62686 07/28/04 06:59 PM
Shirin Offline
Well Dennis, it was like being home going through all of your photos. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us.

As for Thomas Point, I was supposed to be out there next weekend but the work trip was cancelled. I'm now crossing my fingers that the September trip is a go. This makes 2 cancelled work trips for Thomas Point so does that mean the third one's the charm?

Shirin
Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62687 07/28/04 07:12 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Sure, that's sounds right to me. laugh

I'm sorry I misunderstood your other post. I didn't think they had started work details- I just figured you were volunteering before the fact.

Dennis

Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62688 07/28/04 08:33 PM
eskilady Offline
Dennis -

I do love looking at the pictures that you take!! I got almost identical pictures of the Chesapeak and Seven Foot Knoll - you could have been using my pictures!! I loved the pictures of the other lights, especially Thomas Point. I have never been to that one. You said that the Sandy Point needed some work but the gulls didn't seem to mind. I loved the bright red colors on the lighthouses. Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62689 07/28/04 11:34 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing your trip, Dennis. Glad you finally got to see these lights. Crummy as it was, you still had a nicer day than we did 3 years ago!

Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62690 07/29/04 12:31 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Dave,

I had seen Sandy Point and Baltimore on my last trip to Annapolis in 2001.

I added Seven Foot Knoll and Thomas Point this trip. I had actually forgotten that we had toured the Chesapeake many years ago.

We just had gray and drizzle on the water, no real rain.

Dennis

Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62691 07/29/04 12:55 AM
Larry Offline
I really need to take that cruise one day. I've only ever seen Sandy Point, Baltimore & Thomas Point from land.

Sorry about the weather. It's pretty much sucked here all summer.

Thanks for taking us along.

Have you ever been inside the cathederal at the Academy? WOW! I have pictures somewhere on my hard drive. Someday I may find them.

Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62692 07/29/04 05:03 PM
Too Many Stairs Offline
http://www.chesapeakelights.com/tours.htm

These guys run a ten trip light tour I did two weeks ago. Hit a lot of lights otherwise I couldn't've hit from land.

Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Photographer
Save The Bay
-Aaron
Re: Trip To Annapolis, MD Pt3 #62693 07/31/04 07:34 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Aaaron,

I saw that one but the early time and starting from Tilgman Island made it a bit tough from Annapolis.

I'm not sure Esther would have liked the all day cruise, though.

Dennis

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,480 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users