Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Point Bonita #61656 07/14/04 01:37 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We weren't able to join Derith's group on 7/3 when they visited Point Bonita; we were on our way back from Yosemite that afternoon. So . . . I went over on 7/5, the day after the regional. The weather wasn't great for photography (though very San Francisco), and climbing the tower wasn't an option, but it was a fun trip anyway. Like East Quoddy, on a much smaller scale, getting there is half the fun . . .

After crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and following the road toward Pt. Bonita, my first view of the light was from an old artillery battery up the road.

After driving back to the parking area for the light, I observed the approach from the top of the hill.

Down the hill (blacktop, easy hike) to the path over the wood bridge,

And on to the tunnel entrance.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel! wink

Then more wood bridges (this is looking back toward the tunnel after passing through).

Re: Point Bonita #61657 07/14/04 01:54 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Finally, you get to the entrance to the suspension bridge.

The sign says "Five person Limit on Bridge."

Once you're across, it's kind of tight quarters for photos, but you get a good look at the magnificent second order Fresnel lens.

The best views are from the other side of the suspension bridge.

I overheard a guy saying "Why don't they just paint the roof white!"

On the way back, I stopped at the foot of the San Francisco side of the Golden Gate Bridge, whose towers were still lost in the fog.

I also grabbed a shot of the light at Fort Point. The fort is only open weekends due to the construction work overhead.

If Harbor Lights ever makes a Point Bonita LE, it's GOT to have the suspension bridge, or it's a waste of time. They did a great job on Golden Gate Bridge, the small bridge at Point Bonita shouldn't be too great a challenge.

I hope Derith's group had better weather, and hopefully someone from that group will post some photos too. But I really liked the mood of the foggy day - kind of what lighthouses are about.

Bruce

Re: Point Bonita #61658 07/14/04 08:55 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures and I really liked the tour. That's a great way to get the feeling that your there too. Thanks!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Point Bonita #61659 07/14/04 07:24 PM
kikigl Offline
Hi Bruce!

Your pictures of Point Bonita are fabulous!!
I was there last year with Derith and the Tampa Bay Harbour Lights Collector's Club and got some great pictures also, but not as many as you did.
I love what you did on the way to the light. It was almost like being there again! I wish I had
thought to take more pictures on the way to the light.
Derith did a SUPER job of organizing our trip last year!

Kay
Re: Point Bonita #61660 07/14/04 11:11 PM
RFoster Offline
Bruce,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful pictures with all of us. MJ and I also took the west coast trip with Derith and your images bring back some great memories. I would love to pay this part of the country another visit and stay for several weeks. Keep up the great work capturing great images.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,173 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users