Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ohio Breakwater lights #60245 08/18/10 12:28 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I plan to visit Lorain, Cleveland, Fairport, Ashtabula and Conneaut this weekend. Most of these are at the end of breakwaters that you can walk out. The breakwaters look VERY long. Question: Since I probably can't manage to walk out all of them due to time and old legs nono , which are easier to walk? ...or which will I be glad that I did? Has anyone walked out these breakwaters?
I will be traveling with 2 non-lighthouse people, so I am not sure just how far we can get...might get to PA!

Laura
Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60246 08/18/10 01:17 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
You cannot reach Ashtabula or Cleveland lights on their breakwaters since the breakwaters are not connected to the land. There is also a break in the walk out to Conneaut. Fairport Harbor can be done, but be very careful. The riprap is not level and the walking can be tricky. I couldn't see were Lorain reached the shore. The easiest to reach, if you go that far west, is Huron Harbor light. A wide concreate breakwater for most of the way to the light.

If you have the time while in Cleveland, take the Goodtime III cruise. It goes right past both breakwater lights and you'll get good views, weather permitting.

If your companions or you are interested in them, Ashtabula County has 17 covered bridges.

Robert

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60247 08/18/10 01:17 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I will start with Ashtabula Harbor Lighthouse it is a very log and dangerous breakwater to walk and it doesn't go all the way, it is best seen by boat. You can get a very long distance view from above, from the Ashtabula Marine Museum on the hill over looking it.

Fairport is a great place to stop as you have basically 3 lights there. Instead of walking the breakwater, when we were last there I just walked out the the pier for a small marina there and got shots of both the Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse and the cigar shaped, Fairport Harbor West Pier Light. The Grand River Lighthouse which is overlooking the Harbor has a great museum if you get to it during the hours that they are open.. I would make this your main goal..

Lorain is easy to get (long lens) shots of from shore from a little park; you can walk out to it, but if I remember it is a very long walk. It has been a while since we visited it with our club on a boat (Toledo) and bus trip put together by Dave.

I have not made it to Cleveland Light yet but I believe it is best viewed by boat.. Conneaut is another we haven't made it to yet as the last two times we drove by the area it was pouring..

Trip home from Seaway has some images from land, I didn't walk any breakwaters for them..

It looks like Robert and I tied posting and he posted in front..

Just West of Lorain in Vermillion there is a replica light and a very nice Museum, the Inland Seas Maritime Museum..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60248 08/18/10 10:43 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thank you both, that was a great help. The boat trip in Cleveland sounds like a very good idea and I think my husband and his sister would both enjoy that. The two little lighthouses on the Cleveland breakwaters look so intriguing, and it would be great to get a good view of them. I think we can do that and still get to Fairport Harbor while it is open on Saturday. Sounds like I should save any walking out breakwaters for Fairport also. Here's hoping the weather cooperates.

Laura
Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60249 08/19/10 01:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Robert is correct about the Goodtime III . It does give you a nice view of the lights, but it is also an interesting and very informative cruise on the history and goings on in Cleveland. It amazed me to see the freighters that are moored on the river - you have to wonder how they get to where they are. It was an enjoyable cruise, worth the bucks.

And, Paul is correct about the Old Fairport Main - it is a great museum. Most definitely should be on your schedule to visit if at all possible.

And while you are along the coast, don't forget the great Inland Seas Museum om Vermillion.

Don't know how far you plan to travel or if you have already been to Marblehead. If not, well worth the visit. Wonderful setting and always good for pictures. If you do head that way, you may need to go thru Port Clinton - if you do, the Garden at the Lighthouse is a pleasant place to dine.

Well, cancel the Garden at the Lighthouse - going back to read the review I linked to, seems it was burned down and the owner was arrested for arson. Real shame, It was a great place - think it was the original keeper's quarters or the site of the light? Paul might be able to remember - we had dinner there with Stephen (Jakers) many years ago.

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60250 08/19/10 01:37 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60251 08/19/10 02:04 AM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dave, I was in Port Clinton and Marblehead in April with my son and two of the grandkids.

I think their favorite part was climbing all over the rock ledges around Marblehead lighthouse. My granddaughter found a perfect seashell, fossilized into the ledge. She kept trying to pick it up.

Sounds like I missed out on the restaurant. They were really great reviews! We ate somewhere along the peninsula, it was forgettable. The museum at Vermillion looks very good, but I really just have Saturday and a little of Sunday. I have to get my sister-in-law home to Cleveland, and then us back to WV. Always too much to see, too little time.

I just read your second link. That man was in some serious financial trouble. Ohio hasn't been doing well. I'm from Dayton and I can't believe what some parts of it look like now.

Laura
Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60252 08/19/10 02:49 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks for the info. Esther and I will be in Cleveland in September- the main reasons are music related. We'll be going to the R&RHOF and to a Jackson Browne concert.

I hope to get some lighthousing in while there as well. The Goodtime III boat trip looks interesting. We have seen some of the area LHs on a visit to the area while my brother lived there in 2003.

Here's one of the interesting things I found near the Old Fairfiled LH-

We didn't stop, though.

Dennis

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60253 08/19/10 07:23 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Good thing you didn't stop, Dennis they don't even know how to spell Harbour Lights!! They might have tried new math on your bill...

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60254 08/20/10 12:02 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
Good thing you didn't stop, Dennis they don't even know how to spell Harbour Lights!! They might have tried new math on your bill...
Paul,

I knew somebody would point that out- again. smile

Dennis

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60255 08/22/10 02:43 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just a little info about the Inland Seas Museum in Vermillion. It will be closing later this year and relocating to Toledo for I believe a 2012 re-opening downtown along the Maumee River.

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60256 08/22/10 03:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
That's quite a move, which will include some real heavy lifting. Thanks for the heads up..

I found an article about it from last year..

Move to Toledo

Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60257 08/22/10 05:14 PM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm assuming the lighthouse will move too???

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: Ohio Breakwater lights #60258 08/22/10 06:09 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Never assume, having said that... The Vermillion Lighthouse is a replica light so only they would know for sure but..

Quote:
The replica, built by the Great Lakes Historical Society using $55,000 in public contributions, was installed outside the society's maritime museum at the foot of Main Street
It was built by them..

The original Vermillion Lighthouse ended up here

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,381 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users