Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56710 05/22/07 01:57 AM
R
Rumor Wrangler Offline OP
OP Offline
R
No, lighted Harbour Lights aren't going away, but the power cords will be disappearing. At least that's the rumor d'jour.

Plug in transformers for new lighted pieces will be 'optional' @ $5 each instead of included in the box at no additional cost. Transformers for existing lighted GLOWs will go 'optional' if and when HL reorders.

Is it a global warming issue? Lower carbon-footprint? Cost saving measure? Way to keep GLOW costs down? Or is it just an acknowledgment that few collectors ever plug their GLOWs into the wall?

Will there be a secondary market for those little used transformers?

Is there a hybrid solution on the horizon? Think hamster wheels generating power for all the lights in your curio! Talk amongst yourselves.

Remember the words of Ripley "Believe it or NOT!
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56711 05/22/07 10:36 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about getting rid of the "feet" on the Glows & Christmas editions as well !!!

I prefer the felt on the bottom. Is the "feet" only needed for ventilation?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56712 05/22/07 07:27 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
AMEN! Get rid of the feet. The "lighted" idea is kinda neat, but the little feet stink!! (No pun intended)

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56713 05/22/07 09:43 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I don't know what y'all are complaining about. I've pulled the feet off of all of mine and the lights seem to work just fine. The transformers are all in the box.

I'm happy and the sculptures don't seem to mind one little ole bit.

bobo

Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56714 05/22/07 10:14 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm with you Bobo, all my transformers are in their boxes. However, I did not remove any of the feet.

Melody
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56715 05/22/07 11:19 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mel,

Just be careful if you remove the feet. A couple of the pieces will tend to limp for awhile.

bobo

Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56716 05/23/07 10:12 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ott:
Mel,

Just be careful if you remove the feet. A couple of the pieces will tend to limp for awhile.

bobo
biglaugh biglaugh biglaugh

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56717 05/23/07 02:48 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I've never used the lighted feature on any of my HL's. I would prefer they just do away with that feature and return to non-lighted pieces.

smile Bob smile

Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56718 06/18/07 12:13 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks like this is no longer a rumor.

Interesting that a couple of the new GLOW's are up to $85 even without the plugs included.

Stan M
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56719 06/18/07 12:26 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If the price of new GLOWS remain at $85 or even higher, then perhaps GLOWs may disappear as well.... (at least from my "Wish list")

For $85 I will buy the LE version of the light... especially if those darn feet continue to be used on the GLOWs. I think a "Limited Edtion" version is worth $85 before a GLOW version.

If manufacture costs and raw material costs continue to climb with the global situation and demand for oil and the economic impact of raw building materials needed by the ever growing country of CHINA, HLs will soon have to seek other manufacturing ways or new technology to incorporate into their GLOWs that will make them still economical and desirable by the average HL collector.

What's next? .... a $100 Glow! Will you pay that much for one? confused (Think about it)

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56720 06/18/07 01:51 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm not crazy about the lights myself but some people think they are neat. I have a few, but like others, I left the transformers in the box. First, it takes a lot of plugs unless your area is gang pluged. Second, the transformers take up space as well. I have one plugged in to show off the feature, Minots Ledge "I love you", and I turn it on for visiters the first time they see my Harbour Lights collection. They are impressed with the lighted feature but I've not had anyone come back and ask for a relighting. I can see peoples dislike of the "feet" but I leave mine alone to presurve originality of the piece. I do howver, try to keep them seprate like on different shelves so they don't stand out so much from the non-footed pieces. They being more unnoticably different, I don't have to explain why the "little feet". I guess if this were a voting situation, I would vote for no more feet. But generally, If I like the piece, the feet would not stop be from buying it.

Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56721 06/19/07 12:11 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree that the little feet should be "amputated". They do not blend in with the LEs, so I have them on seperate shelves. I don't like being able to see under the piece.
I don't use the transformers when I do light them.

Debbie
Re: Pulling the plug on lighted pieces? #56722 06/19/07 12:50 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would rather they go back to the way they originally made the GLOWs. For me they don't have to light up. So then they wouldn't need the feet, battery's, plugs, etc.

Should bring down the cost.

I'm sure someone on the CF knows the story about why the change to them lighting was made in the first place.

Stan M

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users