Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52172 03/07/99 04:14 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Working mostly behind the scenes, Sean Thompson has been coordinating the "Retired@Retail" service at www.HarbourLights.com and before there was a HarbourLights.com, for the LighthouseKeepers.com site.

I see by the 3/4/99 R@R update, that since August 11, the service has provided info to individual collectors on where over 900 Harbour Lights could be found at retail.

Of course the information comes from other collectors, but it's all coordinated by Sean on a volunteer basis.

Sean's 'payoff' is the satisfaction of helping collectors find a hard-to-locate limited edition Harbour Lights.

Have YOU been helped by "Retired@Retail"? Here's a chance to say "Thanks" and "Well Done" to Sean.

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52173 03/07/99 09:58 AM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks Sean for the great work you do with the Retired@Retail service. We have used it several times and have had great success. Sean has gone out of his way at times to help us find that certain piece.

We will continue to update you with retired pieces we find and hope that other collectors will get involved with this great service. Thanks again!

Tom & Diane

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52174 03/07/99 10:24 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Many of my 176 HL collection have come through Retired@Retail. In away R@R is like the old Ivory Soap ad that read "99 44/100% pure". I say this because if R@R said it was at a certain location, "99 44/100% sure" it was still there. (I believe all the older collectors will remember that ad.)

Obviously, most of the HL Wacko Group enjoy their computers but how many of us would be able to sacrifice the amount of time necessary to take care of the many requests from fellow collectors. I attended a Rotary Club function last night where my daughter-in-law, Michelle, was honored as "Educator of the Year". The motto of the Rotary is "Service before thyself." If Harbour Lights had such a distinguished award, Sean Thompson would definitely be worthy of it.

A "Tip of the Captain's Cover (hat)" goes out to Sean for all his efforts on behalf of HL Collectors everywhere except for Fred. I say this because Fred never had to use R@R for his collection because he has got them all right from the start (lucky guy!).

Two thumbs up on this "win-win" service!

That's the word from the East Coast where we are covered in a winter-white blanket at 20 degrees. * < ^ > *

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52175 03/07/99 01:01 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Although I personally haven't used R@R very often, I am happy it is available to the collectors who are able to utilize it to find pieces they need. When I did use it, I could not have been more pleased with the service I received.

So to Sean, Thank you very much for your time and effort. It is a valuable service you provide to collectors everywhere!

Way to go Sean!!!

-Todd

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52176 03/07/99 04:08 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I want to thank Sean for providing a place that I could send my lists of what's able yet at retail. My wife and I went to over 250 stores the first year we started collecting HL. I kept lists, before Sean even had started the R@R and traded the info with others that were looking also.
Once the R@R got under way it gave me another excuse to go to more stores while looking for that Mulkilteo or that Graves variation. It also provided an opening, when the clerk or owner would ask what I was doing. Upon telling them that there was a service (R@R) that would help match them up with customers wanting lighthouses they still had on the shelves, they would often go and check their stock in the storeroom just in case something didn't make it out to the shelves. So did it not only make my wife and I feel good sharing with other collectors (as a few collectors on AOL had helped us when we started), but we found a few gems along the way and got us out of the house.
So thanks again Sean for your work at R@R. I feel it helps collectors looking, dealers selling, collectors providing info and most of all Harbour Lights lighthouses retiring.

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52177 03/07/99 05:51 PM
P
pepper17 Offline
P
Last winter we used R@R a great deal. We were able to pick up many pieces at retail that were long gone in our area. Sean was always very helpful and we appreciate all of his hard work and time commitment. Thanks again Sean and we will try to return the favor by sending you info on pieces we find. Bear(Art and Brenda)

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52178 03/07/99 07:58 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Hey Beav,

As any board moderator will tell you, it can at times be a very time consuming job (unless you are a St. John who has a direct connection somewhere). You not only moderate the board, you also take on the task of pleading for tips and coordinating the inputs from a variety of buyers and sellers, keeping everything up to date. Let me add my thanks.

Sorry Bob, I did use the service once when a friend of mine, not on the internet needed a piece.
Needless to say Sean came thru. I also E-mailed him back the acknowledgement of the fact that it had been ordered and what was left in stock. Have all of you done that? It sure helps him when you do. Might even improve that 99 and 44/100's % ratio

The Ancient Mariner (who is still unpredictable on occasion).

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52179 03/07/99 11:10 PM
G
Gayle M Offline
G
I started collecting Harbour Lights In December 1997 after buying one as a gift for a relative. I caught the flame you might say.
I had to work hard to get the 1997 lights I wanted plus the Oregon and Washington lights that had been retired. Sean's Retired at Retail was a big help in helping me reach that goal. I am very grateful.
Gayle

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52180 03/08/99 12:38 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
When I caught the wacko germ and found St. John's website, R@R helped me with those elusive 5500's and still helps me play catch up. Many thanks to Sean, and it was a great pleasure to meet both you and Liz at the reunion.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52181 03/08/99 01:36 AM
Art Offline
I have used R@R a few times, and really appreciate the service and the effort expended by Sean. All has already been well said above, so I'll just add my own

"Thank you, Sean!"

-Art [Let the investigation toward cannonization begin... We might just have our second saint of the internet in our virtual midst!]

-Art
Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52182 03/08/99 11:35 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Well said, Sean! Keep up the great work! Retired@ Retail is a wonderful advantage to those new collectors trying to play "catch-up" in the wonderful world of Harbour Light collecting.

That's the word from the East Coast where it's sunny & bright but very cold (10 degrees). <> <>

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52183 03/08/99 11:46 AM
R
Richard W Offline
R
Sean, Here's one more thank you from Tennessee. I've used R@R several times both for myself & fellow (non-internet) collectors. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Again Sean !!!

Richard Weaver
One of the Smokey Mtn. Flame Keepers

[This message has been edited by rew99 (edited 03-08-99).]

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52184 03/08/99 02:10 PM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
Thanks Sean, have used this service more than once.

Bob
Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52185 03/08/99 11:41 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Once again, Sean, thanks.

Just don't let the beaver eat your notes. After all, they are just processed wood.

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52186 03/09/99 01:02 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Sean, for a great service!

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52187 03/09/99 11:45 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Beav,
I just want to add my thanks for R@R. This service was instrumental when I first started collecting. It would be the first place I went to when I turned on my pc.

It's a valuable resource and barometer to the new collector
Thanks again SeAn DiEgO, and friends.

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-09-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52188 03/10/99 02:36 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
As with all the others, many thanks for all your efforts. R@R helped me get the first retired piece I went after (Michigan City, my home state's only HL).

Is it possible the beaver killed the monitor, much as it engineered Bob Younger's demise, because you were spending too much time helping the rest of us??

Dave

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52189 03/11/99 02:40 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Sean,

I'm sure you know what an invaluable service you provide. However, it's only right to let you know how much you are appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

Polly

[This message has been edited by Polly (edited 03-10-99).]

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52190 03/28/99 03:33 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
As Sean retires from his R@R duties, let me bring this topic back to the top and say once more, Thanks for all that work Sean. We did appreciate it.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Retired@Retail - THANKS Sean!!! #52191 03/28/99 03:54 PM
S
sidd Offline
S
I want to add my personal thanks to the Beav for all the long hours and hard work. When the bug first bit me, I was on the web trying to find my lights until I was brave enough to register for the forum, talk with other members and start using the site. This was blessing to me considering the only HL dealer within miles is a Boyd's Bear person (so you can imagine how much HL info they could provide). R@R found lights for me plus found one of my dealers that has been a great resourse for lights and info. We talk via telephone at least 2x a week and she is 5 states away.
Again, THANK YOU SEAN! People like you make this a great group to be with.

And for Sean and other cruise directors, if you ever need any help, let me know. For sometimes the load gets overbearing and we forget to ask those around us for help. We are all here for each other.

------------------
Sidd

[This message has been edited by sidd (edited 03-28-99).]

Sidd

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DANIEL), 1,345 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users