I found a new lighthouse book at the Point Bonita visitor center that I hadn't seen before. It is a real good one , definatley a keeper.

It is titled
"Calofirnia Light Stations and other aids to navigation c.1950" by Jan Mattson and John Twohy.

John Twohy and George Mattson (Jan Mattson's father) decided to do a lighthouse photography book back in 1949-1950 but circumstances in their lives and the Koren War left the project incomplete. George passed away in 1991. Jan(George's son) and John, after 50 years, finally completed the project. The 1950's photos were all still in good shape and have made a one of a kind book that is outstanding. It has some of the best pictures of California's then active lightstations I have ever seen.

It includes Lights that are now gone like Ballast Point, San Diego; Point Arguello and Miles Rock, It has a great shot of Piedras Blancas with its lantern room intact and others with all of the buildings still there like LA harbour with a balcony that only existed for a short time and some attached support buildings that are no longer there. Point Hueneme with all of the keepers buildings still intact and Anacapa Island while it was a complete active station.

It also has some great archive photos of Old Point Hueneme which looked a lot like Point Fermin, and a picture of Point Montara sitting on the dock at Yerba Buena Island when it was being assembled before paint..

There are also photos of the lightship San Francisco on its station and the lightship Relief at dock in Yerba Buena. There is a photo record of George Mattsons ride along on the Light Tender Willow as it serviced the San Francisco, and the Farallon Light Station and the changing out of a light bouy at Noonday Rock.

Some real awsome stuff guys. I highly recomend it!

Dale