Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hello from across the Pond #4668 10/20/09 04:54 PM
P
Peter J Hill Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am just becoming accustomed to having so much time on my hands, I was made redundant for the Northern Lighthouse Board back in 1992 but until recently when bad health intervened, I've always kept myself busy working. In the last 18 months I have written my memoirs and just recently composed some poetry about lighthouses and lightkeeping. I am spurred on by disappointment to make sure that for as long as I am able I will bring the work of Lighthouse Keepers to the fore, whether its by getting my book and poetry published or joining websites like your own with like minded people. My disappointment comes from my former employers; The Northern Lighthouse Board. Recently I along with 4 former colleagues were invited to the opening of a new lighthouse museum at the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse (that is Scotlands most southerly point)our being there was most significant in that myself and Ron Ireland were the last two Keepers at the Mull before she was automated. The Board has a journal printed biannually and the opening got a mention but the former keepers not so much as a word, it seems as though the only entries keepers get nowadays is in the obituary columns, I hope that it is not the case stateside. If it is then I am right to plug the cause before there are no keepers left in the world to tell the tale and we are all consigned to the pages of the history books.

Re: Hello from across the Pond #4669 10/20/09 06:28 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Peter,
Welcome to the Forums.
We hold lightkeepers and thier stories in high esteem here. Please let us in on some of your knowledge, we're glad to welcome you as a new member.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Hello from across the Pond #4670 10/20/09 08:20 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ditto what LI Bob said--a most hearty welcome and my hope to hear of all your experiences.

Sandy

Re: Hello from across the Pond #4671 10/20/09 08:26 PM
P
Peter J Hill Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks to you all for the welcome , I'm not sure where to start without rewriting my entire memoirs, at the last count it ran to 197 pages and 130,911 words. I don't think there are that many masochists about so the best thing for me to do is give you a brief history, for those partial to a bit of torture
you can hear some of my poetry on youtube.com/pjhill038; I have written a poem about all the lighthouses I served at and one about the Commissioners and how the Northern Lighthouse Board came about. I have also written one called the Lighthouse Keeper...a day in the life. I think it says quite a lot about the Mull of Galloway and a typical day for a Keeper. I am proud of that one because it all could have happened yesterday instead of twenty five years ago. I began my career as a Supernumerary Keeper ( the translation of Supernumerary more or less means extra or spare ) until you are appointed assistant that is what you are... A spare Man... travelling from lighthouse to lighthouse learning your trade, as a matter of interest for the members you might be able to read the first three chapters of my book ...Star of the Four Kingdoms...on the website Authors Register where I am listed. In those chapters you will get the gist of why I became a Keeper and it will give you a bit about my background. Now putting the glove on my hand, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up with in order to see what you've all been up to. My knowledge of the lighthouses in the States is sketchy to say the least, but from what I can see there is as much variation in structure and materials as the character of the lights themselves, what will be most interesting is to hear from you keepers if we share similar experiences.

Re: Hello from across the Pond #4672 10/20/09 08:53 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Welcome to the Forums Peter. I look forward to more of your insights in the life of a lightkeeper.

Re: Hello from across the Pond #4673 10/21/09 11:26 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome Peter, based on your background, I look forward to your posts.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,979
Posts184,641
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, fiksegts), 1,408 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users