Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bill was a hit at the NELL event #38231 06/07/00 03:34 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
NELL had its spring Outing in Groton, CT, this June 3-4 weekend. Mother nature cooperated by giving us two fantastic days of sun and blue sky between two bouts of rain and a June nor'easter storm. The wind kicked up the waves for the 5 hour cruise on the Long Island Sound; but members were having such a good time photographing the lighthouses, that they didn't much notice any rough water.

Our evening event featured a signing with Bill. After dinner he entertained us with an hour's talk about how the Harbour Lights company began and how it has helped spur general interest in lighthouses which in turn creates an interest in our country's history.

The evening's activities continued as Bill conducted a door prize drawing and handed out many exciting HL sculptures.

On Sunday the members visited Stonington Lighthouse which was the second HL membership piece. It is not a tall light, but did service in the most important mid 1800's port between New York and Boston. The second floor museum contains a 5th order Fresnel lens, which the Coast Guard is demanding be protected with an outer acrylic shield. Our club has raised some money to donate towards this project.

Following this tour, we visited the USS Nautilus Submarine museum, which was most interesting. This was the first atomic sub and the first to go completely under the Arctic ice pack.

Our club does not meet in summer, so the next regular event will be the annual fall meeting and Outing. Interested New England collectors should watch our website for information on dates as they become known.
www.lighthouse.cc/nelighthouselovers

Barbara Hupp, President
NELL

------------------
ladylightkeeper

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 06-07-2000).]

ladylightkeeper
Re: Bill was a hit at the NELL event #38232 06/07/00 07:48 AM
HCarpenter Offline
Barbara, Stonington Harbor was actually the 1996 Collectors Society Redemption Piece which was the second. Point Fermin was the first in 1995.

Re: Bill was a hit at the NELL event #38233 06/12/00 02:08 PM
CarolZ Offline
I was at the NELL event and went on the tour of Stonington Harbor. My husband and I had a great time!!
But my question is this, does anyone know where I can get the 1996 Redemption piece? It was a beautiful light and I would love to add it to my collection.

Re: Bill was a hit at the NELL event #38234 06/12/00 06:01 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Carol: I have tried to e-mail you to answer your question personally, but you have no e-mail address listed under your profile (click onto that eyeglass icon). I think you would get more answers and help from HL forum posters, if you would revise your profile to include that info.

If you will e-mail me back so that I can write to you, I will try to help you with that piece.

Barbara - President of NELL

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,596 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users