Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NEW Lights GUIDE #3887 01/14/01 12:34 PM
M
mci1231 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK......we need to convince someone to write a new guide for Harbour Lights collectors. I keep waiting for the Rutherfords to produce theirs but that looks like it's not going to happen so.......Let's hear the nominations.

Or let's hear the qualifications....I can help with the guide layout/printing but not the content. Maybe we can tackle this project if we get the right folks together.

[This message has been edited by mci1231 (edited 01-15-2001).]

Re: NEW Lights GUIDE #3888 01/14/01 12:46 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
The best qualified business to do it would be Harbour Lights. I think since there seems to be little movement in recent retirements on the secondary market that there wouldn't be much money to be had in this kind of venture. We can already name the valuable Harbour Lights in a short list, Cape Hatteras 1, Coquille, some variations, some of the original 17 (not all) and the Southern Belles. Maybe I'm a sceptic but I just think we are on the downside of the Harbour Lights values on the Secondary Market.

imho

Re: NEW Lights GUIDE #3889 01/14/01 01:08 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think that the work that Art and Orv have done helps to set current price points for many retired HL's. In addition to John's work, Paul's pictures, and Tim's research and evaluation, you would have a pretty solid book right here if someone put it all together.
Jim
Johnson

Re: NEW Lights GUIDE #3890 01/14/01 05:34 PM
RFoster Offline
..........and some of the profits from such a venture could go toward lighthouse restoration. I can think of no better qualified people than the ones you just mentioned Jim. Please, I would like to be the first to reserve a subscription.

"Keeping The Flame in New England"
Ron

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 01-14-2001).]

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: NEW Lights GUIDE #3891 01/15/01 08:34 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Excellent suggestion all. Investing in these collection is for the long haul. What I mean to say is 10 years is a very short time for value to increase. My grand children will be the ones to really gain from this adventure of mine and I will only get to sit here and look and study and imagine and dream about those days when lighthouses ruled our coast. You know, value doesn't bother me so badly when I look at my collection in this light. How about you folks. Am I missing the boat here.
Anyway, a true value of today's worth would benefit all, even those of us who dream. Keep me posted on this venture.

Moby

Ps: Anyone want to incorporate a spell check in this forum for idiots like myself who have difficulty spelling when I get excited expressing myself while typing rapidly before my mind's thought is lost. It will get more apparent as I age.

Moby
Re: NEW Lights GUIDE #3892 01/15/01 09:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I do agree that a HL Guide would be a handy thing to have for any collector, new or old. I keep the "Greenbook Guide" right next to my computer. I often refer to it when browsing through eBay looking at the HLs on auction. It's a very useful tool when it comes to learning more about HLs. Hopefully, Greenbook will publish an updated version that will cover all HL products through the present.

A revised Rutherford Guide? Obviously, they have dropped out of sight so I don't think they will be doing it. Maybe it's time for the Youngers to commission someone to put such a book together. I know they are extremely busy people but such a guide would definitely benefit all HL collectors and Younger & Associates.

I would like the book to contain a history of the Youngers' efforts to bring attention to the plight of many lights around the country and the world. It would be great to have photos of the manufacturing process and the artists in action. Each HL produced from HL 101 to the latest model would have a separate page with photos of the actual light, the HL model, and a history of that light. A retail price when new, the amount manufactured, the amount sold, and the current secondary market worth would also be nice. Photos from the first two reunions and maybe the third. Photos of some of our serious collectors and those folks who have had a major influence on all us collectors with their dedication to the product, like John Chidester and Paul Brady.

Any serious HL collector feels like they are a member of the HL Family. The new guide should express this so that future serious collectors will be well aware of the enjoyment of joining this circle of friends.

That's the word from the East Coast!

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 01-15-2001).]

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,338 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users