cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Jersey Lighthouses #35336 04/15/99 02:39 PM
Lighthousedude Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello out there!!

I live on Long Island and I've visited almost all of the lights we have (more than once and I never get tired of them).

I am thinking of visiting New Jersey this summer and would like to visit a few of them and I have a few quetions.

Which ones give tower tours?
Would I be able to visit Cape May and Barnegat in one day? (With a stop at Sea Grit perhaps?)

Has anyone out there been to Navesink?

Re: New Jersey Lighthouses #35337 04/16/99 06:16 AM
Art Offline
Hi Mike,

I have been to all that you mentioned.

Yes, it is possible to see them all, from Sandy Hook to Cape May, in one day. It will be a very long day, however, and you might run into problems with opening and closing times for those you can climb. You may wish to spend one night in Atlantic City or Cape May perhaps, before going home.

It is possible to drive from Sandy Hook to Cape May in about 2 hours without stopping. I usually allow 45 minutes to an hour per lighthouse on such trips (some will be much less -- If Sea Girt is not open to the public that day, you can see all there is to see in about 5 minutes.) Multiply that times 7 major lighthouses on the route (Sandy Hook, Navesink, Sea Girt, Barnegat, Absecon, Hereford Inlet, Cape May.) Add time for meals, etc., and you get a very long day. Click the link below to see other recent discussions on NJ lights. It includes other links that you might find useful:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum5/HTML/000076.html

Have a nice trip.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: New Jersey Lighthouses #35338 04/16/99 08:44 AM
Lighthousedude Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Art,

Thanks for the info on the Jersey Lighthouse trip!

Sounds real good to me, I think I'd like to make it a 2 or 3 day excursion. The Jersey shores are a nice place to be, maybe I'll make a day of it in Atlantic City. I may get lucky, win a little cash to be a Harbor Light or two.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,742 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users