Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35052 03/02/03 09:07 PM
Weasel58 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I had a chance to go out to Anclote Key lighthouse this morning, with a couple of the park service rangers, and some other members of the Tampa Bay Harbour Lights Collectors Club. We went out to get a few pictures of the deplorable state of the lighthouse, before restoration work begins. The weather looked like it would be fairly decent for us, however it quickly clouded up and started pouring down rain, so these are not the best pictures I have ever taken.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/Weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/anclotewalk.JPG

Upon arrival on the island we found that the contractor hired for the restoration work, International Chimney, has already begun preparations to restore the light. They have already moved some equipment onto the island and have begun to do some of the prep work on the tower.

www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/Weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/pile.JPG

I haven’t been out to Anclote since the Florida Lighthouse Association was out there in April of 2002, but the light was in about the same condition then as it is today. Normally it is not a good Idea to climb this tower due to its very unsafe condition, but a few of the braver, or maybe more accurately foolhardy, members of our party decided to climb the light. OK, OK I’ll admit I was the first person up the stairs! As one climbs the stairs inside Anclote Key, one must watch one’s step. This is the only landing between the ground and the watch room and you can see the big hole someone knocked into the floor with a sledgehammer.

www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/Weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/holestep.JPG

Once into the watch room, you will see a number of holes in the floor. Everything this tower is covered in rust. All the windows and all the glass in the lantern room have been busted out.

www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/Weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/holesinfloor.JPG

Out on the cat walk one can see an Eagles’ nest a few hundred yards to the north of the tower and just south of the tower is this Osprey’s nest.

www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/Weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/osprey.JPG

About the time that I got into the lantern room, the bottom fell out and it started raining cats and dogs. With no glass to block the rain I felt as if I was standing in the shower at home. We quickly decided it was time to leave. Unfortunately my photos of the Lantern room were taken with me standing directly into the blowing rain, so they didn’t come out.

I’ll be going back to the Island a couple of times while the restoration is underway, and I hope to be able to bring back plenty of photos. I for one can hardly wait till September 13th, 2003 because that is the day that we have chosen to RELIGHT THE LIGHT! Our current plans are to have a big shindig that day. I will keep all of you posted on developments and as soon as our plans firm up I will post the schedule of events and a list of guests that will be at the relighting.

Eric

Eric
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35053 03/02/03 09:55 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Thanks for sharing the pics Eric. Looks as if the time for getting the ball rolling is past due on this one.

Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35054 03/02/03 10:03 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I want to be at the relighting.
It would be nice if Bill could do signing at that time For the Anclote L.E. and give or sell special stickers for your Anclote L.E. The proceeds for the special sticker could go to the restoration. Maybe like $20 for the sticker.
How will they get the people out to the Island for the relighting.

DANIEL
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35055 03/02/03 10:15 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hard to believe it's all going to be ready in just about 6 months!!

Thanks for documenting the current 'before' condition. I imagine Lighthouse Digest would appreciate a story and your photos.

Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35056 03/02/03 10:44 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Eric, it sure looks like you took your life in your hands to get those photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35057 03/02/03 11:45 PM
Weasel58 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Actually Mombo, today was the 4th time I have climbed Anclote Key. The last time I climbed it was last year. I climbed it with Toby Brewer the Park Ranger, and a special guest, Elinor DeWire. She has a book coming out this fall and the preface is going to be the story of the Anclote restoration and Toby (who got out Club involved with Anclote), is supposed to be the focus of the story.

John, according to the contractor most work will be done by the end of July at the latest. As for documenting the restoration, we have a local production company that is working on a video of the restoration.

Terry, the Gulf Islands Alliance, has been working for over 10 years to get funding and support for this restoration. Getting a couple of million in funding is no easy task laugh

Daniel, our current plans do not have anyone on the island during the relighting. There is a county park just across the channel from the light and that is where the event will take place.

Eric
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35058 03/03/03 12:00 PM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
sad that the history this light has seen has allowed it to become in such a way. Great that it is being restored

good friends mean good times
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35059 03/03/03 05:04 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures, even if they were taken in the rain. It adds a different perspective to what we normally see. I can't believe the condition this poor light is in. Now we wait patiently for your pictures as the restoration progresses. Will be interesting to see.

Thanks,

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35060 03/03/03 10:07 PM
RFoster Offline
Great documenting of the Anclote Key Lighthouse in this state of decay. I agree with John that you should write an article and send it to Lighthouse Digest along with your pictures. Thanks for such a great job and for sharing this with us all.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35061 03/03/03 10:53 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great job with the pictures, Eric. Can't wait to see the after.

Jim
Re: Anclote Key Restoration set to Begin!! #35062 03/03/03 11:58 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
After being there myself in April 2002 with the FLA and seeing the vas deterioration of this light it is so good to hear that this work is being done! Please keep us posted with updates. I can't wait to see the final outcome! smile

Shortcake

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,164 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users