Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question For Florida Experts #34607 08/22/02 01:48 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I have a question for all you Florida lighthouse experts.

A person I talk with from my Poco list has a memory of going to a Lighthouse that was south of New Smyrna Beach, Fl at the end of A1A near Turtle Mounds. He stated it was near Mesquito Inlet.

I can't find anything about what might have been there. I sent him links for Ponce Inlet and Cape Canaveral but he says they are not the Lighthouse he remembers.

Was there or is there a Lighthouse like structure in that area?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34608 08/22/02 10:21 AM
DMancini Offline
Dennis,

I know that Ponce Inlet was once known as Mosquito Inlet and the first lighthouse at the location was known as the Mosquito Inlet lighthouse (but it toppled into the sea in the 1830s).

The current structure was built in the 1880s. I did find the following notation on their website (maybe this is what your friend is thinking of?):

"For over 80 years, the light was faithful to its service and never missed a night. However, in 1970, the Coast Guard established a beacon on the south side of the inlet and abandoned the lighthouse."

It's on ponceinlet.org under the "Introduction" heading.

Hope this helps! laugh

Diane
Re: Question For Florida Experts #34609 08/22/02 11:25 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Diane,

Unfortunately it doesn't help much.

I already went through the site you mentioned. It's possible, but it does not fit what he's remembering. It's very likely he has his childhood memories mixed together.

The things he specifies don't match anything I've found. I was hoping that there might have been a Lighthouse like structure on A1A near the Turtle Mounds that might fit his memory.

Sort of like the faux Lighthouse in the Brigantine Circle outside Atlantic City. It stands in the middle of the circle and is about 35-40 ft high. Looks pretty real.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34610 08/22/02 11:30 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Dennis, I used to sit in the middle of Mosquito Lagoon East of Titusville on Space Shuttle duty back in the mid-80s and don't recall any such structure. I am not familiar with Turtle Mounds, is that a city or landmark?

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34611 08/22/02 11:36 AM
DMancini Offline
I've been in that area a few times, but I don't remember any other "lighthouse" or faux lighthouse--but that doesn't mean it isn't there!

The person you should ask is Tom Taylor, the former Historian at Ponce Inlet and the President of the Florida Lighthouse Association and the Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation. According to FLA's website his email is: Tom_FLA@Hotmail.com

If anyone would know, it would be Tom! Good Luck!

Diane
Re: Question For Florida Experts #34612 08/22/02 11:46 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Sean/ Diane,

Turtle Mounds is an area that is memorable to this person because at the time he was there it was a "Clothing optional" beach and he was a teenage boy.

This is one of the parts that makes figuring this out so tough- his description of how to get there puts him about midway between Ponce and Cape Canaveral. He's got the right term with the wrong spelling/pronunciation (Mesquito Inlet for Mosquito Inlet)

I'm not sure why I care, but when someone mentions something like this to me I'm not happy until I can identify what they are talking about for them.

I'll send an email to Tom Taylor as you suggest Diane. It's possible there was something there 30 years ago that is no longer there.

Or we could be dealing with a faulty memory. Trying to find out keeps me out of trouble. thanks for the assists.

Dennis

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34613 08/22/02 03:06 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis,

We are headed to New Smyrna Beach in a few days and I will try to find out if there ever was a lighthouse south of where we are staying. We've been going there every year since 1991 and have never seen any lights in the Turtle Mound area - just lots of mosquitoes!!! They have a visitor center at The National Seashore there. I will check there and report back!.

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34614 08/22/02 07:09 PM
Ed14 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
We visit this area just about every year and stay about a mile from Turtle Mound. There is no lighthouse in this area. As previously stated, Ponce Inlet used to be known as Mosquito Inlet. Even in the 30's, the Ponce De Leon Lighthouse was known as the Mosquito Inlet Light. The next one south is Cape Canaveral. If you want to take about a half day trip (leaving early) you can get to Jupiter Inlet.

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34615 08/22/02 07:21 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks for the update. I believe it's as I suspected before I even put this topic up- my friend is mixing his memories.

I believe he's remembering Ponce, but just has his bearings a little confused.

Dennis

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34616 08/22/02 10:34 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I can add some information to this topic, but, it is mostly heresay. In 1973-76 while stationed at the Coast Guard Station Ponce De Leon Inlet in New Smyrna Beach, the actual light for the Inlet was on the Coast Guard grounds on a steel tower. This light had replaced the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse sometime early in the 70's. The CG Station was located across the inlet from the Ponce Lighthouse. To get to the station you drove down a private street and at the end of the street was the CG Station. If memory serves me you turned off A1A on to the private street. Past the CG Station along the Ponce Inlet waterway was at one time a very private beach area close to the jettys across the inlet from Ponce Lighthouse and south of A1A on the Ponce Lighthouse side of the inlet. While I never confirmed it, rumor had it that it was a topless only beach until New Smyrna started to grow and become more family orientated. I do know that because of it's secluded location, occasionally some of the seamen Coasties stading watch on top of the light tower during the day got some nice "views".

Maybe this is what is being brought up about the lighthouse. Working on the Canaveral Light electrinics and the electronics at the Ponce Light I had never heard of another lighthouse and maybe the light tower at CG Station Ponce could be what is being referred to. This might be why he referred to it a Mosquito Inlet.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Question For Florida Experts #34617 08/22/02 11:52 PM
Ed14 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The drive down A1A from Port Orange to the lighthouse is very similar to the drive down A1A from New Symrna to Turtle Mound. Both are about 5 miles. One ends at the lighthouse the other ends just past Turtle Mound. Just past Turtle Mound is the Canaveral National Seashore (federal property) which is clothing optional.

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34618 08/23/02 01:21 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I've passed all this information to my friend and he's decided that certain youthful pastimes may have him confusing several different places that are similar.

He spent many weekends in this area and up by daytona in his youth and with this info it's jogging his memory as to where what actually is.

Thanks for the help. I was pretty sure it was something like that, but you never know so you got to the experts.

Ask and you will recieve on this Forum.

Dennis

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34619 09/03/02 07:56 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis, This may be what your friend is looking for. There is a Faux Lighthouse in Ponce Inlet, FL know as the Landing Restaurant. I found a photo of it on the Florida Lighthouse Association website.

As told earlier in this post check with Tom Taylor! It is a photo that Tom Taylor took!!!

Try this link: http://www.floridalighthouses.org/member_gallery.asp?page=2

If that doesn't work, go to: http://www.floridalighthouses.org/home.asp
And click where it says "click here to see ALL photos submitted by members". Tom's photo of the Landing Restaurant is the last photo on page 2.

I hope this is what your friend is looking for! Maybe, Maybe Not! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Question For Florida Experts #34620 09/03/02 09:41 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Stephanie,

Thanks. My friend now believes that in his youthful exuberences he may be melding different memories into something that does not actually exist.

I've shared all the info I got and what came from you and the others (including Tom Taylor) and that's the conclusion he came to.

Dennis

Re: Question For Florida Experts #34621 09/04/02 04:46 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was at the visitor center just past the entrance of the Cape Canaveral National Seashore at New Smyrna Beach last Friday. They have a model of the Coast Guard Station that was there many years ago. The lady told me that the station has been gone since the 1930's. They did have a lookout tower on the site, but no lighthouse.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users