Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Saginaw River Rear Range Light Restoration #34138 10/15/04 07:07 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
It has been a while since I gave an update on the restoration progress at the Saginaw River Rear Range Lighthouse. That has partly been because not much has been going on. Dow Chemical, who owns the lighthouse, has had other priorities and not placed much time or money toward the project. That hopefully will be changing shortly as a “License Agreement” has just been signed between Dow Chemical and the Saginaw River Marine Historical Society. With the signing of this agreement, further preservation work on the lighthouse will again be started. Work will include the complete rebuilding of the north entrance which has rotted away and will be rebuilt exactly like to original, a new door placed on the shed/kitchen entrance, and replacement of dry-rotted ceiling joists. It is exciting to see progress again out at the light.

In other news, the Saginaw River Marine Historical Society hosted the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association, Lake Huron Chapter, annual convention at the Saginaw River Lighthouse this past summer. It was a great event with over 80 members in attendance. The group was broken in half for a morning and afternoon tour of the lighthouse. An additional treat was the chance to meet with a former commander of the lighthouse, Leon DeRosia, who also served at other lighthouses and lightships.

Another group touring the light was the Airstream Trailer Association who was taking a lighthouse tour around Michigan. Although I haven’t been able to spend the time I used to out at the light like I did before the twins were born, I was able to man our merchandise booth for the September 29th tour. The visitors were impressed with the light and the work taking place there.

Hopefully I will have many more positive updates leading up to the opening of this light to the public in the future.

-Todd

Re: Saginaw River Rear Range Light Restoration #34139 10/16/04 10:10 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update, Todd. Do you have any pictures of the project to share?

confused Bob confused

Re: Saginaw River Rear Range Light Restoration #34140 10/17/04 12:56 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Bob,

I need to get so photos together to post, not only of the lighthouse, by of the twins. They are already 17 months old and I have never shared them with everyone here.

-Todd

Re: Saginaw River Rear Range Light Restoration #34141 10/23/04 11:33 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the update, Todd!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,133 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users