Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31547 12/10/07 11:24 PM
Weasel58 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The first bricks of the rebuilding of Cape St. George lighthouse were laid today.

On Saturday Dec 8th the Crooked River lighthouse was re-lit.

Both items are on the Cape St. George lighthouse website.

http://www.stgeorgelight.org/newsletter.asp

Eric
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31548 12/11/07 12:33 AM
beachcomber Offline
Eric, that is terrific news! vhappy I had hoped to get there to help, but, so far, it just doesn't seem in the cards. Maybe later on. Please keep us updated.

beachcomber
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31549 12/11/07 11:06 AM
Roland Babineau Offline
towel
Great news!! We're proud of all the volunteers down there who continue to work so dillegently for both of those events to come to fruition! Thanks from everyone here up on the Cape!

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31550 12/11/07 11:39 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This is great news !!!

towel

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31551 12/12/07 02:24 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Wonderful news!

applaud

Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31552 12/13/07 02:44 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Susan and I planned to go to the re-lighting and even though I work PM shift Monday to Friday, we figured no problem as the lighting was Saturday about 5:00 for the speeches and 5:30 to turn on the light. We thought we would come up early and check the progress on Cape St. George Lighthouse and take pictures. But then I got an email that now it was cooler we would chip bricks again, so of course I wanted to do that....so we planed to leave much earlier (about one hour after I got home). I took a nap but was still very tired, so Susan drove the whole way (5 and one half hours).

We arrived at Eastpointe about 10:30 and chipped bricks till 2:00 with a lunch break inbetween. We then got a room and decide to take a nap. We set the cell phone alarm but either one of us turned it off or it did not go off....so we awoke 5:00...Crooked River is about 20 or so minutes away. We dashed to the car and make it 5 minutes before the lighting.

We took pictures and a short film (which I plan to get on YouTube soon).

Went to dinner with Susan, but she decided to skip lighthouse talk that Dennis and I planned after dinner.

The next morning I saw the sunrise and we got a tour of the construction grounds and the new visitor center.

Pictures below:

Crooked River from the drive way.

Closer view (see the replica Bi-Value Lens)

If you been here before you will see the underbrush has been removed.

An additional drive way leads to a side road for better traffic flow (which helped Saturday as more than 200 people showed up).

Night shot.

The next day on the way home got a shot of the new playground behind the lighthouse (a pirate ship).
Very cool.

EARLIER THAT DAY.

The pile is almost gone.

Some of the volunteers taking a break.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31553 12/13/07 03:06 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
NEXT DAY at the re-construction site.

The almost finished Visitor's Center for St. George Island (which will be run by St. George Lighthouse Association).

The construction of the visitor center was done by local prisoner's. Dennis discovered one had a talent for art and had a few designs like this one added. Dennis also noted the bare bones lunch provided by the county and added fruit and Pepsi to the prisoner's lunch. They liked that and I think it shows on the workmanship.

The inside.

A model of Cape St. George Lighthouse (about 3 foot tall).

Notice the flag pole at the top. It was on the original lighthouse and will be on the re-constructed one too.

Sign of the times.

The wood structure is for plumblines for the brick
masons.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31554 12/13/07 03:14 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

A George Washington Dollar has been place on the foundation. (This part will be covered).

Paw prints from Razz (Dennis's dog). This too will be covered.

BEFORE THE CONSTRUCTION SITE VISIT.

Sunrise at St. George Island (Gulf of Mexico).

Years of work start to show in FLORIDA.

Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31555 12/13/07 07:48 PM
beachcomber Offline
Eric, thank you so much for sharing these fabulous shots and, thereby, taking us with you. We owe a big debt of gratitude to everybody working on these projects; it's because of people like you that many of our lighthouses continue to be saved. cheers Thanks for all the work that you and Susan do!! applaud

beachcomber
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31556 12/13/07 08:31 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Wow! I didn't know about the Pirate Ship Playground at Crooked River, That is very cool! And just clearing out the underbrush is a great improvment all by itself. But I love the new lens and paint job!!!

I wanted to be there last weekend myself, but had other obligations that I couldn't change.

Thanks for posting!

But you've got to answer one question for me. What's the George Washington Dollar in the foundation for???

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31557 12/13/07 08:50 PM
Weasel58 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I just wish I had known about the relighting. I knew CR was getting a face lift, but didn't know about the lens. Thanks for the photos Eric. Now I gotta run up there to see the new paint, lookes a whole lot better than the last time I was there as all the white paint was about washed off. Looks great, glad to see the lights of the forgotten coast getting some much needed TLC.

Eric
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31558 12/13/07 10:09 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pics and narrative, Eric !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31559 12/14/07 10:46 AM
Roland Babineau Offline
For those of us not in the Florida area, your photos and narrative really helped give a great perspective on the work being done there. Thank you for sharing, and thanks, as well, to all of the hard working volunteers who are bringing both projects to fruition! bow

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31560 12/14/07 03:53 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Grace, my face is red.

Short Cake, the ship was finished the day of the lighting.

The dollar is an old tradition that many people used to do when they built a house. It was usually in the chimmney area if the house had one. (A house that was recently moved, the relatives looked for the dollar but it was not there, it seems like an emergency must have ocme up over the years their parents lived there.)

And yes Susan is a big help. She does not always go with me, but helps me make it there, many times taking care of stuff at the house.

Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31561 12/14/07 04:59 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job both on the efforts and the report, thanks for sharing..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31562 12/18/07 02:22 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the update. I am hoping to make it to both of these lights in January when I am in Florida. Would love to go up as far as Pensacola and work my way down the Gulf coast to Sanibel Island. Any info anyone has would be great. Darlene

Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31563 12/18/07 11:29 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
First of all CONGRATS to Cape St. George lighthouse and the Crooked River lighthouse family and friends. Both sites are really coming along.
Thanks Eric for the update, photos, and story (as well as your work). And thanks to Susan for for getting you there!
Keep the good work going, I can't wait to visit!
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31564 12/18/07 01:38 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Eric,
Thanks for the post and pictures. Looks like some wonderful work is going on in Florida getting these two lighthouses restored to their glory.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Two Great Pieces of News For Florida #31565 12/18/07 02:52 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
What a delightful surprise to log on and find this!! I've been working on plugging in coordinates and compiling data for the past few days on Florida's Gulf coast lighthouses for a trip we hope to take in February. Imagine my surprise to open this thread and see in advance two of the lights we plan to travel to--THANK YOU, ERIC!!

Sandy waytogo waytogo waytogo

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,217 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users