Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2907 10/14/00 11:32 PM
R
rmkay Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good book on lighthouses that tells basic history and information and shows the location of them, with good details on how to get to them. My wife and I want to plan some trips to lighthouses in other states (we live in NC and have been to these) but just don't know the best place to start. Any help would be great. Thanks!

:)Russell Kay smile
Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2908 10/14/00 11:53 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome.

For Atlantic Coast lighthouses from Maine to Florida, there is a recently updated guidebook available from Lighthouse Depot. The original was written by Kotchel, but the update was done by Tim Harrison, of the Lighthouse Depot/Digest I believe.

Another excellent series of guides are those by Ray Jones and Bruce Roberts and published by the Globe-Pequot Press.

The Jones-Roberts books are arranged by regions. They have also collaborated on a single publication that is intended to be inclusive of all lighthouses in the US.

Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2909 10/15/00 12:07 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't forget our midwest favorites, the 3 books by Penrose covering the Eastern Great Lakes, the Western Great Lakes and Michigan. Excellent books, inexpensive, and they present a brief history, directions, map and a picture for each light around the Great Lakes, both Canadian and US.

Dave

Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2910 10/15/00 02:14 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I reccomend the Umbrella guides for the West Coast. In particular the one for California.

The contain great information on the lights, some history and great directions to the locations.

Also the three books by courtney thompson- Maine Lighthouses, Massachucetts Lighthouses and Lighthouses of Atlantic Canada. Great pictures and directions to the lights.

Dennis

Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2911 10/15/00 05:54 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Hi rmkay... I just wanted to post a hearty "hello" to you and welcome you aboard the Collector Forums. So glad you could join us. It's always good to see another North Carolinian posting here, particularly since I'm just south of you in Charlotte.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2912 10/15/00 09:59 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Ray Jones and Bruce Roberts are at the Alpena lighthouse festival... they have a prime location for a table with all of the books that they have produced. They were selling and autographing their fine books in the entry way to the convention center.

Sue and I stopped to chat and and renew old friendships... that first started with Bruce in December of 1996 when I purchased my first HL from him at his then store, on the outer banks. Ray, we met on the bus tours that Saint John put together at Rosemont.

It made for an quite an impressive collection of work, all of their books display together on the table in front of them.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2913 10/16/00 12:35 AM
Brent Offline
"Great American Lighthouses" by F. Ross Holland, Jr. This book, published by "The Preservation Press" was origionally produced in 1989 but I believe that an updated version has been re-produced since then. I use mine constantly...even though its 10 years old. Good Luck!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2914 10/16/00 01:40 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
A fairly recent book that covers many lights across the country is American Lighthouses by Bruce Roberts and Ray Jones. It has some driving directions, a little history and generally a picture. Maps are in the form of regional maps, useful only for very generally locating where a light is located.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 10-17-2000).]

Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2915 10/16/00 09:47 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
LEGENDARY LGHTHOUSES BY Grant & Jones and put out by PBS as a campanion to the PBS Video Tape series of the same name, is excellent (Videos are excellent also). I have most of the books mentioned above, but the one I go back to constantly is AMERICAN LIGHTHOUSES (1998) by Bruce Roberts & Ray Jones. Just ordered "Anatomy of the Lighthouse" and will provide a review upon a few hours review!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-16-2000).]

Geo H.
Re: Looking for a good book on lighthouses and locations #2916 11/01/00 02:22 AM
I
Ida Offline
I
Check out the nice collection of lighthouse books at this website -- http://www.sentinelpublications.com

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,458 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users