Hello everyone,

I have been "sitting on" this topic for a while, as I have a personal distaste for this sort of silliness. But I have been asked about it several times in public (even on the Gold Coast cruise), as word has leaked out. While I do not offer an official opinion, I have decided it was time to mention the matter. The following is a Wacko-ized version of something I recently sent out to the e-mail list I maintain as part of my web site...

Most of you know about the ownership issues with the Currituck and Squirrel Point lighthouses, but here's an even more unusual one: Long Beach Bar, NY.

A little background info first: The Long Beach Bar light has been owned by the East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation since it was "rebuilt" in 1990 (I'll explain the quotes around rebuilt later). In September 2000, one of the Seaport's founders left the Seaport (there was a typical internal nonprofit issue regarding lighthouse versus museum). He then set out to wrest ownership away from the Seaport (I was asked to be a part of this, but declined). In January 2001, he formed East End Lighthouses, a group with a similar name, address and phone number (people still confuse them).

(By now, some of you have recognized the name and yes, it is the same group that has disrupted the Plum Island lighthouse project, and been involved in other lighthouse controversies. But those are for another day.)

East End Lighthouses (EEL) set out to discredit the Seaport in the public eye, via the local newspapers. The US Lighthouse Society was also asked to get involved (declining, of course). The main issues EEL was pushing were the use of "restricted funds" that were intended for the lighthouse (the funds weren't actually restricted) and the condition of the riprap around the light (the only documentation for this coming from a member of EEL's board). That having failed, EEL turned to behind the scenes maneuvering to try to get ownership of the light, and to the American Lighthouse Foundation for support, becoming a chapter last Fall (ALF's board had full knowledge of some of the problems with EEL, including responsibility for damage done to historic lighthouse artifacts, serious conflicts of interest on EEL's board, lies, etc.). In fact, ALF's support of EEL, and its detrimental effects on local lighthouse preservation, is why there is a growing ALF/Lighthouse Digest/Lighthouse Depot boycott on Long Island (and elsewhere).

Earlier this year, ALF listed the lighthouse on its web site as one that it maintains (The Seaport folks, naturally, weren't amused), scheduled a work day there (at which point I reminded ALF's president that someone else owned the light - still waiting for a response. The work day was canceled, read on to find out why). Then, in a nifty move, EEL's president changed the locks on the lighthouse and reportedly threatened to have any Seaport personnel arrested if they went out to the light (this part would probably make you laugh, except for the fact that the local police chief is EEL's Treasurer's son).

The Seaport now has an injunction against EEL. A hearing was scheduled for May 20, but EEL got an extension and the hearing is now scheduled for June 20, I believe. I hope to attend the meeting, as this could be an important point in local nonprofit history.

Perhaps the biggest ironic twist to the whole deal is this: It is not an actual historic lighthouse (although it does reside upon the original Long Beach Bar lighthouse site and foundation). It doesn't even really qualify as a replica. Your donated funds and tax money are being spent on a struggle for control over, essentially, a shell that somewhat resembles a lighthouse that was destroyed in 1963. So why the struggle in the first place? Power, egos, and money are the prime suspects, as is usual with matters like this.

This is why I always caution people about who they give their hard-earned money to. Just because some says they are trying to "save lighthouses," whatever that means, does not mean that they are acting in the best interests of the community. They may actually be acting fully against the best interests of the community. Just about anyone can start a nonprofit, and there is little oversight once one is established.

I know that some of you will want to comment that "the government" should watch these matters closer, but the personnel and budget to do so often do not exist (also, please keep the word "politics" in mind). And the laws can be inadequate (For instance, while projects using government money may require a certain level of approval to ensure proper historic preservation, the same projects using private money may not. Your donated money can easily be used to do things to historic properties that would be a violation of federal law if it was public money).

And I know the "why can't organizations work together" question will be in some minds, and rightfully so. The truth is that lighthouse organizations with the same true mission (i.e., historic lighthouse preservation and education for the good of the community) DO work together. The problem arises with groups with goals that do not relate to the good of the community (as nonprofits are entrusted to do). These groups often view legitimate groups as obstacles for their own agendas, and will only work with them as long as that forwards their own agenda.

There it is, in a nutshell. Naturally, there is more to tell, but I'll wait until the legal matters are settled before I say much more.

I have asked some prominent lighthouse folks around the country if they have ever heard of something like this before, and they have said no. So here's a shameful first for Long Island lighthouse history.

The Long Beach Bar chapter of the book should be interesting. I'll save that for one of the last chapters I submit.