Memorial Day #2759 05/26/01 02:28 PM
D
DaveVB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Question to child: "Do you know what Memorial Day means?"
Answer: "Sure...it means the pool is open!"

Don't forget to Remember!
And, teach a child - I'm afraid in this era of PC (NOT personal computers), they may not even be taught in school.
Thanks to the veterans out there!

Re: Memorial Day #2760 05/29/01 10:58 AM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I am happy to say I had my flad flying outside my home. Unfortunately, I was the only one on the street who had it out but, hopefully, the WWII Memorial that is going to be built will bring about the honor that is due those who fought and gave their lives for this country.

Joanne

Re: Memorial Day #2761 05/30/01 12:11 AM
M
Mike Richards Offline
M
I also flew the Stars and Stripes with pride on Memorial Day. I'm pleased to say that mine wasn't the only one on the street.

It's important to remind our children and grandchildren of the sacrifices made by those who came before them.

Mike

Re: Memorial Day #2762 05/30/01 01:50 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Flags, you want flags? I've put up a total of 6 of them, including that moth-eaten 48er. Plus the lighthouse flag, the sailboat flag and the pansy flag, also two wind socks. Long may they wave!

Re: Memorial Day #2763 05/31/01 12:36 AM
D
DaveVB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
"That moth-eaten 48-er".....
I thought I was the only one who still had one of those beauties! Mine is HEAVY, huge, and very old-pre-WWII. Family legend has it that it was the flag that my mom and dad flew in Japan as missionaries before the war. I have rigged a horizontal pole out of our second-story bedroom window, and the flag drops almost onto the foundation plantings. I put it out on Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Independence Day, weather permiting. The rest of the time it resides in one of those triangular flag cases. It is weather-beaten (and bird-stain bleached in spots), but still looks beatiful in the sunshine.
For reasons involving another long story, I wasn't able to get it out this week, so I reverted to my standard household flag. Out of curiousity, I drove through our community, and counted - less than 10% of the houses had flags. Sad, I think, for a community as blessed by the wealth of our nation and the sacrifices of our military throught he years - Thanks for flying your flags proudly!

Re: Memorial Day #2764 05/31/01 12:57 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
One more time, for Dave:

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=39476&a=775388&p=22644393[/img]

Many years ago when I was a kid, the family used to drive to our camp for Memorial Day. (After school was out we were there all summer.) My Dad drove, my Grandfather sat in the front passenger seat. In the back seat were my Mom, my Grandmother and I. Every year my Grandmother and I had a contest. We each picked one side of the road and counted all the flags we saw. The numbers were usually about the same for each of us, and were quite high.

This year, as I'm already at the former camp (now a year round home) my journey for that day was just a short one up to town. Most of the homes I passed did have their flags flying. Some of those that didn't I just don't think own one.

Dave, in addition to the moth-eaten flag, I do have another 48er that was on my Grandfather's casket. He was a verteran of the Spanish-American War. That one does not get flown!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 05-30-2001).]

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 864 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users