Next Thread
Print Thread
Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2596 09/26/99 02:23 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Another indispensible book for the serious or curious HL collector is:

"The Harbour Lights Survival Guide", (Fifth Edition), by Jim Rutherford.

James Rutherford
The Nautical Exchange
P.O. Box 501101
Atlanta, GA 31150
(770) 754-9060

Soft cover, 8 1/2" x 11", comb binding, 84 pages.

Chapters:

ABOUT THIS GUIDE

I. HARBOUR LIGHTS TODAY
Lighthouse Popularity
What is collectibility?
The Invisible Hand
What is "Retirement"
What is "Retired Shelf Life"?
Who Collects Harbour Lights?
Why is Harbour Lights Successful?

II. YEARBOOKS

III. THE INSIDE STORY

IV. COLLECTIING TIPS

V. LIGHTHOUSE CAPSULES

CONCLUSION

What does a lighthouse say?

INDEX

Apparently a limited edition book (mine is #140 of 250) by Harbour Lights expert Jim Rutherford, this volume sells for $18.00 plus $3.50 shipping directly from the author, for a total of $21.50.

If you are at all curious regarding every facet of Harbour Lights, from its origins to its products, and how to be a viable collector and still survive, this book is for you.

Almost every question you may have regarding pieces, variations, years and numbers produced, and so on, are answered in this fact-filled volume.

I came away from reading this book feeling that I could now become a much more knowledgeable collector and would have a better grasp of pieces and values, HL history, and in short, the entire HL scene.

For those of you new to HL, I'd recommend buying the "Greenbook Guide to Harbour Lights" first since that volume is well illustrated with color photos.

This book is, perhaps, more insightful than the GB Guide, but lacks any photos or illustrations other than that on the cover. I feel both are valuable to the collector since they are mutually beneficial.

I started with this book and had to constantly reference various HL catalogs to visualize the piece being described.

I'd recommend starting with the Greenbook first, and then I think Jim Rutherford's book would have more meaning to you since you'd have a single source for photos of the sculptures Jim describes.

To simplify, I'd call the Greenbook Guide an excellent basic primer, and Jim's book an excellent advanced guide.

Pros: Excellent effort for a home-published book, great insights into this zany hobby or ours, indispensible to the serious collector.

Cons: No illustrations.

**** (4 stars out of 5), highly recommended.

Jim also publishes "The Guiding Lights" quarterly newsletter. This encompasses "news, analysis, lighthouse touring, and secondary market information, including an exchange for buying and selling lighthouses".

4 issues per year, $12.00.
Back issues are available.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 09-29-99).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2597 09/27/99 02:21 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree with your assessment of the guide. I found it very helpful in starting my collection. It gives a good basis for deciding what you want to do with your collection. It addresses the needs of the serious speculative collector and meets the needs of the collector who is buying only for the simple pleasure of owning beautiful things. It doesn't hurt to cover both bases . You never know what the future holds. It is beneficial to plan for the unthinkable and make sure your items are useful to the largest number of people. The new edition is signed and numbered only for the first 250 people who bought it. You even got $3 off if you bought it by a certain date. I'm buying the LH's because I like them, but I don't want to overpay, or not pay attention to the little things for the possibility I'll need to part with some. I collect to appreciate, not to store them in a closet. Even if that is where most of them are right now due to the lack of proper display space. I'm working on that. Dennis

Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2598 09/29/99 07:59 PM
H
HLSG Offline
H
Actually, the price is $18 plus $3.50 shipping if you get it directly from me.

Jim Rutherford

Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2599 09/29/99 09:57 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Jim:

Thanks for the price correction, I've edited my original post to reflect this, and boy, am I embarassed! It's especially silly since I just received my 5th edition from you (and by the way, it arrived in fine shape, thank you) and I should have remembered the price. In my own defense (and I think most people would understand this) I plead insanity. :-0

And for the record, Mr. HLSG is Jim Rutherford, author of the Harbour Lights Survival Guide. Welcome aboard, Jim!

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2600 09/29/99 11:53 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
Jim,
My check is in the mail for your book. You should be seeing it in a couple of days. Looking forward to digesting your guide.

------------------
Jim Chesher

[This message has been edited by jchesher (edited 09-29-99).]

Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2601 10/03/99 12:21 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jim,
I got your book a few weeks ago from you and I have completed enjoyed the book. IT is definatly a must have book for HL collectors. Thanks for all your hard work. It makes collecting a little less painfull for the rest of us.

Rusty

Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2602 10/12/99 02:50 AM
F
foghornkeeper Offline
F
To all HL collectors,newbies or wackos; I can't rcommend the "Survival Guide" too highly. It has been invaluable to me, providing much detailed info about my collection. To tell you what a nice guy Jim Rutherford is, He sent me my copy of the latest issue before he even got my check as I was leaving on a trip shortly after I heard that it was available.
foghornkeeper

foghornkeeper
Re: Harbour Lights Survival Guide - review, Part #8 #2603 10/13/99 02:56 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
I found all sorts of neat information, both on the HL sculptures and collecting in general. Another five-star recommendation!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users