Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Displaying Spyglass Series #22973 01/24/99 12:28 AM
T
tnkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just recently solved a problem I had with displaying the SG series.
Always thought because of their size they looked a bit lost among the
LEs.
While searching for new bar stools for my home I came across a very small
curio cabinet at a local furniture store. It only measures 18'' x 21'', but it has 3 shelves that's enclosed by glass doors and 6 outer shelves...3 on either side of the doors. It can either hang on a wall or sit on another piece of furniture
In my case I have it on a roll top desk.
It's just the right size to display ths SG series. I also have Keeper & Friends with them.
I have since seen several different ones. Some larger than the one I have.
Just think, this gives us Wackos another option...we can use our walls to display our HLs, not just every flat surface in our homes.

Debbie

Re: Displaying Spyglass Series #22974 01/24/99 03:52 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Debbie,

I have been using my wall space for years. I got on the internet and found a custom cabinet maker who made two for me by my specs - 36" wide, 27" tall, and 7" deep with a mirror back and adjustable shelves. Bought both for less than what a small one would have cost me at a local furniture store. With the adjustable shelves I can display ; spyglass, ornies, Glows, LEs, any mix and match. Even add shelves.

The small wall mounts are a great idea. Anything that allows us to display our treasures without us moving out into the garage or basement is a great idea. Anybody else have any good suggestions , other than velcroing them to the ceilings.

As far as keeper and friends go I am displaying them with my Navesink. Helps set it off IMHO.

Fred

Re: Displaying Spyglass Series #22975 01/24/99 07:27 PM
D
Dea Offline
D
Fred, could you share the cabinet makers name or where you found him on the net? That sounds great, being able to move shelves, or add them!

Re: Displaying Spyglass Series #22976 01/25/99 11:23 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Dea,
It's been quite awhile since we bought them. I don't have the E-mail address or the website still up on the computer. I probably have it on one of my old back up discs. I will check into it and make sure they still exist. I know I did a lot of web surfing and E-mailing with several outfits before I found them.

Originally, we displayed the ornaments, spyglass, and GLOWs in one cabinet - 4 shelves (3 glass and bottom). The other had Christmas, Event, Club, International, and Lady Lighthouses on 3 shelves (2 glass and bottom) . Plus a few odds and ends in both. We now have 4 shelves in each for the spyglass, ornies, and GLOWs with room for several more glows.

What does all this have to do with the subject? With these pieces on display, I want to make darn sure the cabinet stays BOLTED to the wall. It does not hang from a couple of hooks but is secured to the wall and into studs. The cabinet maker offered to pre-drill mounting holes for me. But, they obviously would not be located where I wanted them. So, I drilled my own. The whole point of this is, if anyone is still interested, you don't just hang them like a picture. But we are very happy with them and point out the cabinet as well as the Harbour Lights. Oh yes, they also have a trim around the top and a plate groove.

Oh yes! Did I mention glass doors?

[This message has been edited by FredKuhl (edited 01-25-99).]

Re: Displaying Spyglass Series #22977 01/27/99 03:26 AM
T
tnkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Fred,

Your wall cabinets sound like a great addition to displaying your HL
treasures. And from what you say you have in them, I can see why you bolted them to the wall.
I chose not to hang my small unit because in doing so David and I both realized
it would most definitely have to be bolted to the wall for added security.
I was unhappy with this because once bolted in place, there goes the mobility of the unit. I personally prefer to be able to "move things about."
Now, as for other suggestions. Has anyone looked into the possibility of
a permanant curio cabinet from an existing wall?
Our fireplace has approx. 4 ft. of wall space on both sides. In other homes we have seen built-in book shelves and gun type cabinets in these areas.
We have talked to some carpenters/cabinet makers about taking these walls
out and replacing them with built-in curio-type cabinets. They assure us it
can be done complete with glass doors and shelving and also heat proof
insulation due to close proximity of the fireplace.
Have any of you ever done this kind of renovation? Know of anyone who has?
We built our home ourselves...we feel with the right input, we could also
accomplish doing this. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

rgds,

Debbie

Re: Displaying Spyglass Series #22978 01/27/99 05:45 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Great idea Debbie.

I would suggest looking for wall mount curios where you purchase your full size curio.

When shopping for our full-sized curio, we also found wall mounted curios. I keep my Pooh items in it (don't "collect" them just like Pooh). It was great because they have the same design, oak, flat front, mirrored backs, and curved glass sides. The only thing they lack is a light system (which if they were HLs my husband would devise.

I have also seen glass & brass shelf/wall display cases at several HL dealers.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,203 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users