cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Display Cabinet #21886 12/20/02 06:11 PM
Gayle Offline OP
OP Offline
I just received a beautiful new cabinet as my Christmas gift and I have a couple of questions now that I'll finally be able to dispaly my lighthouses.

I beleive I had read that some felt it was "okay" to flatten the boxes and destroy the packing? Is this true?

Also does anyone display their lights with the little placards in front of them?

Thanks for your help.

Re: New Display Cabinet #21887 12/20/02 06:50 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Some flatten the boxes some do not! I tend to flatten the old boxes that were filled with popcorn, but keep the newer shaped ones intact.

And yes I for one do display the tent cards.

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: New Display Cabinet #21888 12/20/02 07:50 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I don't flatten anything, but if I get much more I may have to do something.

I would do the same as Shortcake- only flatten the older boxes that do not have form fitting inserts.

The best thing to pack and protect your HL's is the form that was made for it- just ask anyone who has had to move a bunch of them.

As for the tent cards I don't use them in my display, butI can see where they would be helpful (especially during that senior moment when the name of that LH on the third shelf just won't come to you) laugh

Dennis

Re: New Display Cabinet #21889 12/20/02 09:22 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I flatten all the boxes and throw away the foam peanuts and insets for my personal collection. I don't ever intend to sell my collection and if I ever did I don't think that having the insert would keep someone from buying a Coquille River or Cape Hatteras. I have all my boxes in rubbermaid containers stored in the garage. I have over 175 flattened boxes in 3 of these containers. The pieces that I buy to resell have the original packing and I keep those pieces boxed. I do not display the tent cards with my lighthouses. Instead I have them in plastic sleeves with the certificate of authenticities in three ring binders.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: New Display Cabinet #21890 12/20/02 10:48 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I haven't flattened a box yet, but I don't know what will happen when the numbers (of lighthouses) get too high. NEVER HAPPEN! I display the tent cards for all my lighthouses with each lighthouse as I found that was the easiest way to remember where they are. So far, I can still remember what that light is on the third shelf, but who knows what will happen next week.

Bert laugh

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: New Display Cabinet #21891 12/20/02 11:03 PM
RezmanDale Offline
I only flatten the ones with the foam peanuts. All that have the formed foam stay intact. I have some in the garage in a cabinet I found at a home store that was going out of business. the rest are in the closet on the top shelf.

I don't have tent cards in my curio any more. Once I get another curio I may put them back in but its just too crowded in there now.

Dale

Re: New Display Cabinet #21892 12/20/02 11:12 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
I also flatten only the boxes with peanuts, and save the boxes with molded inserts in their entireity. Although they take up a lot of room we have a crawl space that we can use. I put them in larger cardboard boxes (about 20/box) and store them. My reason for keeping the inserts is not that I ever intend to sell the collection, although I have some duplicates that may go, but should we ever move I want to insure their safe delivery. However, I have received a number of pieces through the mail that are packed in peanuts and have no damage.

If you are pressed for space, and don't care about "original packaging" then the best approach is to throw away the inserts, put them in a nice rubbermaid tub, and store them in a safe dry space. If you need to repack buy a bag of peanuts and repackage. Of course you keep the COA and other certifications to accompany the pieces. Also I don't use the tent cards, but find it a lot more interesting to have people point at a piece and be able to identify it.

Re: New Display Cabinet #21893 12/21/02 12:07 AM
Ron Offline
I to flatten the boxes only with the peanuts, and still trying to fill the attic with the other boxes. I do not intend to sell my collection but Im sure my kids will some day as they have no meaning to them.
I do not display my tent cards (no special reason)
I still have a fear of those glass shelves falling someday so watch the weight that you put on them.

Re: New Display Cabinet #21894 12/21/02 08:43 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I only flatten those HL boxes that came with styrofoam peanuts. I put the peanuts in trash bags and store them in my attic.

I keep all the styrofoam molds. I rotate my display every so often so I feel putting the HL's back in the plastic bag and into the mold is the safest way to store them.

I do not display tent cards. If I forget where the light is from, I'll have Bert come down and tell me which is which (lol !).

smile Bob smile

Re: New Display Cabinet #21895 12/21/02 12:24 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ya, right! Will do!

Bert

Re: New Display Cabinet #21896 12/22/02 08:04 AM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I don't flatten the boxes, but they have taken over my office at home. I display the tent card to help me and our visitors to know which is which. I have the COA in a plastic card holder with the story folded out so anyone can read what Bill has selected to tell about the light. I keep two lights with their story on a shelf I built next to my favorite chair. The two lights are rotated out when I tire of them. I currently have Tybee Open and 1999 Christmas East Quaddy there and yesterday it was Pemiquid and the Summer Fort Tompkins. The lights are generally on this shelf for a week or two at most. This allows me to learn and enjoy my collection.

Chuck

PS the kids always ask before they touch and warn their friends not to touch at all. mad

bigdragon
Re: New Display Cabinet #21897 12/23/02 10:09 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
I store all boxs intact and display the tent cards so I can remember which is which wink

Larry
Re: New Display Cabinet #21898 12/25/02 03:21 PM
lhlover Offline
I too store all the boxes and packaging - much to the dismay of my husband that then has to place a big box (filled with as many HL's boxes as possbile) into the attic (a.k.a. crawl space). I display the tent cards with my lights, this way my visitors will know which light it is without picking up and possibly breaking my treasures. It is also great because occasionally a visitor will read off a tent card and be surprised that there was a lighthouse in the city they just visited. laugh

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: New Display Cabinet #21899 12/27/02 03:57 AM
Gayle Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for all your help. It was helpful to see so many different views and opinions.

I will be organizing the cabinet this weekend. It's been wonderful to look at and admire with just one lighthouse in it and then two and now twenty! I still have thirty more to go.

I have decided to display the tent cards. I like the idea of visitors not banging and knocking the lighthouses around. I still haven't decided what to do about the boxes, like others if I get many more I will have to flatten. I plan to put the certificate in a photo album that has a slot for a picture. I'm sure I read that here on the forum also.

Thanks again to all for your help. Have a Happy New Year with lots of Harbour Lights in your future.

Re: New Display Cabinet #21900 12/27/02 10:47 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gayle,

I just noticed that we all told you about tent cards and boxes and whatever, but not one of us congratulated you on getting your new display cabinet. I know I get excited when I get a new one, so congratulations. Now when it's full you get another and another, and another. Is there an end to this. I hope not.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: New Display Cabinet #21901 12/28/02 04:48 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Congrats on the new cabinet. As much room as it takes up, I keep all our boxes intact. We have a lot of space in the attic for the empty boxes, and the pieces we keep in storage are safely tucked away in a closet.

Re: New Display Cabinet #21902 12/29/02 10:55 PM
Gayle Offline OP
OP Offline
I spent the weekend putting a collection I've been accumulating for several years in my cabinet. I can't stop looking at them! 53 Harbour Lights! It looks great; even my daughter-in-law who could care less about the lighthouses thought it looked fantastic.

I flattened the boxes (hard decision to make) and put up the tent cards. I've regained a closet and finally get to enjoy this beautiful collection.

Thanks again everyone for your help and advice. You're a great group of people.

Re: New Display Cabinet #21903 12/30/02 11:21 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Very Happy to hear that you are enjoying seeing all those beautiful lighthouses in your new cabinet. It's really nice to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of our collecting. ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

Bert smile

Bert

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users