Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI #211113 11/21/18 09:05 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here is Harry's latest update email that he sent to collectors that have purchased in the past from him:

It has been a while since I was last in contact. I've been busy working on new ideas and private commissions. But before the busyness of this season takes over, I wanted to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
As many collectors have pointed out, a new lighthouse sculpture from my studio is long overdue!
The factory who produced many of the Harbour Lights pieces and the three pieces I brought out, have made some very significant changes to their business. They switched their manufacturing exclusively to mass production of lower quality items. This is a great shame as they were industry leaders in the intricacy and quality of the products they made. It seems that there is not as much money in that business, as there is in mass Wal-Mart production.
Since then, I've searched all over the globe to find a workshop that would produce my pieces. The obstacles are that the sculptures require, as you know, a lot of detailed hand casting and hand painting, both to a very high quality. Adding to this challenge is that I only want 300 pieces made of each sculpture. The result was that almost 90% of the factories I contacted told me it wasn't the sort of business they wanted. My orders weren't high enough and there was simply too much work involved. The remaining 10% gave me quotes so astronomically high that they were in effect saying the same thing as the first 90%. No interest!
So what to do. The only thing I can do now is make the pieces in my own studio here in San Diego. Fortunately I do have some very talented people around me who can lend a helping hand in making this project a success.
I've been working on a sculpture of Barbers Point, Hawaii for the last couple of months. The sculpture should be completed before Christmas. I'll then make the production molds and start casting and painting in mid January.
As this piece is going to be made by a tiny team, the production of this piece might take awhile. We're shooting for spring 2019, but as this is the first piece that we're producing in this manner. that isn't set in stone.
As soon as I have some photos of the finished sculpture, I'll send them to you.
As always, my sincere thanks for all of your encouragement and support.
Best regards,
Harry

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211114 11/21/18 05:07 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I think everyone realizes that whatever Harry produces will be first rate! As he and his team work thru the process I am sure they will develop as efficient a system as possible.

Wonder if Harry will ever share pictures of the assembly line process with us?

Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211116 11/22/18 02:24 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Next time I talk to him I will ask if he will take some pictures for us.

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211117 11/24/18 10:48 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I like Harry's attitude.
Never say never , just keep searching till you come up with the solution. It will be great to see made in California lighthouses again.
Harry needs to stamp on the bottom of the Lighthouses made in USA. Rich you need to remind to do that. I don't think he did that on his Fresnel lens.

DANIEL
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211120 11/24/18 12:04 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Will do!

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211147 01/09/19 04:42 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I glad I checked in tonight. I did NOT get a message from Harry and I have bought all his lighthouse pieces....maybe it went to spam.
Has Harry tried the local prison? Prisoners work cheaper than minimum wage and some of they have talent. The visitor center at Cape St. George was built by prisoners, including a few decorative pieces.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211185 03/03/19 02:29 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I talked to Harry Friday and he was in the final stages of painting the Barbers Point, HI Paint Master. From the way he talked he will start production in the next month or so. Keep your fingers crossed that all will go well and we will start seeing this piece for sale in early to middle spring.

Harry will be coming out with ordering instructions when the piece is ready so please don't bombard him with orders until he is ready. Existing customers that have purchased all previous lighthouses and have reserved serial numbers will be contacted and filled first.

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211186 03/10/19 01:44 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
An update from Harry -- He has finished painting several Barbers Point Lighthouses and will make some very minor modifications to the actual mold.

Stay tuned for more updates when they are available. Still looking good for early to middle spring.

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211279 06/21/19 06:54 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It now appears that the time will be towards the end of June. Harry has been doing the molding and painting himself, plus, his normal working and going to England for his father's health condition. He's burning the candle at both ends so PLEASE be patient!

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211299 07/26/19 02:56 PM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Stopped by the Harry-Hine-Studio.myshopify.com website today and noted that "Barber's Point" shows as sold out, but with a note that one can contact him to reserve a piece in the next batch. I then noticed an email direct from Harry inviting me to purchase the piece with my desired edition number. Harry states he has completed about 25 pieces and will be working hard to complete many more as orders come in. The $130.00 price tag is a bit more than usual, but this is a hand-crafted piece from the artist himself--I just wish it wasn't another 18 bucks to ship it, but that isn't Harry's fault. Currently mulling over the cost and hope to pull the trigger on purchasing this beautiful piece very soon.

Last edited by akmn; 07/26/19 03:31 PM.
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie] #211300 07/26/19 07:37 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Don't mull over your decision too long as I know Harry has a long waiting list and he probably offered you the piece because of your low serial number. It is a beautiful piece and I can't help but be prejudice about it since I was the one who has been asking for this piece since before HLs went out of business.

Rich
Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: akmn] #211301 07/27/19 01:24 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Remember, $130. in today's money is actually a bit less than the original $110 cost of the HL379 San Luis Obispo's retail price in 2009 when it was released.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users