Next Thread
Print Thread
Christmas In September From Harry Hine #210348 09/10/16 07:58 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Greetings,

Harry Hine has sent me an email containing illustrated color and master mold pictures of his second Harry Hine Studios Lighthouse that is his first Christmas Piece, Rock Island, NY. Ordering information will be sent out later when the price and delivery date has been firmed up. Those of you that previously bought Jones Point Lighthouse will be given the opportunity to get the same serial number that your Jones Point Lighthouse had. Those of you that passed on buying Jones Point still have a chance to establish your serial number while there are still 21 Jones Point Lighthouses available to buy. So if you want to establish your serial number by buying a Jones Point and get the matching serial number on your Race Rock Lighthouse, and all future issues by Harry, now is the time to buy the Jones Point while there are still some left. You must be logged in to view these picture. If you are not a member of these Forums you can view the below pictures by going to Harry's webpage and clicking on the Blog tab at the top of the page or you can view these pictures right here by joining the Forums and logging in. The following is the email I received from Harry:

“It's been a while since I was last in touch and I thought I should give everyone an update on the new sculpture I've been working on. The response to Jones Point was incredible and I would like to say a huge "Thank you" to everyone who bought the piece. You have made it possible to continue with this fledgling collection.

ROCK ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE, NY

Soon after the Jones Point went on sale, I started on a new lighthouse sculpture. Given that it takes me a long time to sculpt, I thought I'd give myself a time limit to motivate (panic) me into getting it finished in a timely manner. Therefore, I decided to make it a Christmas piece.

The sculpture is of Rock Island, located on the St Lawrence River , New York. This lighthouse has been beautifully restored over the years. When I first saw photos of this lovely light with its distinctive red Keepers house I immediately knew that it would make a wonderful Christmas piece.

The sculpting is progressing well and the piece should soon be ready for molding.

I normally do an illustration of a new piece before the sculpting starts. The drawings give me the opportunity to decide on the composition and size of the piece. They also give me a chance to make sure that I have all the reference material and photos needed to make an accurate sculpture. Once I've decided on the composition I can start the sculpting.

The plan is to have the sculpture up on my website and available for sale in early November. I'm hoping for a ship date of the first week of December. This might change slightly based on the workshops production schedule. I will keep you updated.

As a final note, I do have 21 Jones Points remaining in inventory. If you should know of any former Harbour Lights collectors or lighthouse enthusiasts who haven't heard of my new collection, I'd be enormously grateful if you would help spread the word.

To see more drawings of Rock Island and see how I decided on doing Rock Island, have a look at my Blog page on the www.HarryHine.com, where I've uploaded more of the plans and elevation drawings or read the below explanation.

ROCK ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE, NY

Three years ago I had to do a terrible thing.......

As Bill Younger traveled around the country visiting stores and collectors, he would almost always make time to visit nearby lighthouses. Over the years, Bill had taken tens of thousands of photos of lighthouses from all around the US, Europe, Russia, Asia and South America. It might well have been one of the most comprehensive collections of lighthouse photos in the world and I had to throw them into a dumpster. Yes I threw them all away! I had the collection hidden away in a storage garage where they were archived in 10 large, 4 foot wide by 5 foot tall filing cabinets. With the closing of Harbour Lights I could not personally afford to pay for the continued storage and after exhausting every avenue to find a good home for the collection, I came to the hard decision and hired a dumpster.

It took quite a long time as I kept finding myself stopping to look at photos of various lighthouses that brought back good memories. The filing cabinets went quickly thanks to an add on Craig's list. After throwing away a few pieces of trash and giving the garage a good sweeping, it was all done. I went back into the garage just to give it a final once over before I returned the keys and there, sitting in the middle of the room was a single solitary pack of photos. I picked them up, not sure how I'd missed them and rifled through the pictures. It was photos of what would have made a perfect Harbour Lights Christmas piece.

I took them home and put the pack on my desk intending to throw them away at a later date. Well they never did get thrown away and every once in a while I opened the pack and looked through the photos all the while thinking what a great Christmas piece this lighthouse would have made.

Well, I guess there was a reason for keeping them after all and attached are the preliminary drawings and some photos of the sculpture that will be my first Christmas piece. Rock Island Lighthouse.

My normal work flow when starting a new sculpture is to do a series of drawings of the lighthouse that incorporate all the elements of the piece I want to be included. This helps me decide on the composition and the size of the sculpture. From there, I'll often do elevation drawings in order to make sure that I've worked out where all the features of the building are and that they are in the right place. This is quite important as I'm almost always working from photos, not architectural drawings and it can take a bit of detective work to find pictures showing every aspect of the building. Over the years I've drifted from drawing all these elevations by hand to using a simple 3D drawing program. Once the drawings are done and I'm happy with the look of the piece, the real fun begins. Sculpting.

The first phase is to block up the sculpture, simply getting the shape correct, no detail just simple shapes. This then progresses to laying out the key features, windows, doors, chimneys, etc, and then onto the longest part of the sculpting process, the detail work. Then finally and perhaps the hardest part is deciding when the sculpture is finished.

The plan is to have the sculpture up on the website and available for sale in early November. I'm hoping for a ship date of the first week of December. This might change slightly based on the workshops production schedule. I will keep you updated”.

Harry

Enjoy reading and looking at the pictures and don’t forget to make room for this one.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210351 09/10/16 08:05 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Rock Island Illustration

Attached Files
Rock-illustration-2.jpg (105 downloads)

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210352 09/10/16 08:06 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Rock Island Illustration

Attached Files

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210353 09/10/16 08:07 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Rock Island Master Mold

Attached Files
rock island b.jpg (103 downloads)

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210354 09/10/16 08:08 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Rock Island Master Mold

Attached Files
rock-island-g.jpg (102 downloads)

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210355 09/10/16 08:11 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Again, To see more drawings of Rock Island and see how Harry decided on doing Rock Island, have a look at his Blog page on the www.HarryHine.com site, where he has uploaded more of the plans and elevation drawings.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210356 09/11/16 03:00 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm very surprised that there haven't been any posts concerning this piece !!??

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210357 09/11/16 07:52 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great News !!!

Looks like a winner !!!

Love the pics !!!

Thank you Harry !!! (and Rich for posting).

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210359 09/13/16 03:50 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Enjoyed Harry's story on how this lighthouse figurine was pick because of all the lighthouse pictures in the world only this one survived the big clean up. I can picture Harry as the Claw on the first "Toy Story".

Well Chance sure picked a fantastic lighthouse.

Rich
How many are going to be produced? Is it going to be by filled order only?

DANIEL
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210360 09/13/16 07:31 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I think the number will again be 300 and you will have to order and pay for yours through a link on Harry's website just as before as far as I know. If you bought the Jones Point you will get the same serial number and if you did not get Jones Point you will get a random serial number as long as all the Jones Point pieces are not sold and there are serial numbers not allocated.

This is the best answer I can give at this time because ordering information and price is not available as of now.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210361 09/13/16 09:19 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich is pretty much on track as to the sales of Rock Island. Both Harry and I are committed to offering Rock Island to those who purchased Jones Point first. We will provide the same flag# for Rock Island as the purchased Jones Point. If someone has purchased a Jones Point but then does not want a Rock Island, (yeah, like that's gonna happen), then that number will be sold at random. In summary, if you haven't purchased a Jones Point, then chances are you won't be able to get a Rock Island as Jones Point is very, very close to being sold out!! Though Harry has as of yet not been able to determine a final retail price for the Rock Island, he told me that unless his final cost from the factory is much more than he anticipates, the retail will be under $100.
By the way, approximate size of Rock Island is 5" tall x 8" wide x 5" deep.
If you still haven't purchased a Jones Point I'd suggest you get one at either http://harryhine.com/ or at The Cape Cod Store.com http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harry_hine_studios/harry_hine.html

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210366 09/13/16 04:42 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Got the actual size of the Rock Island from Harry. 4 1/2" tall x 8 1/2" long x 4 1/2" deep.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210372 09/16/16 01:32 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just want to clarify how the Rock Island Lighthouse is going to be sold. If you previously bought the Jones Point Lighthouse (and approximately 285 have already bought it) than you will have your same serial number from Jones Point given to you when you buy the Rock Island Lighthouse. There are still about 15 Jones Point Lighthouses left so to insure that you get a Rock Island Lighthouse do not hesitate to buy one of the 15 Jones Point Lighthouses left. When the Jones Point Lighthouses are all gone, and assuming that everyone that bought a Jones Point takes the Rock Island Lighthouse you WILL NOT be able to get your hands on a Rock Island Lighthouse unless someone declines to buy theirs.

There are only going to be 300 produced so he who hesitated to buy a Jones Point had better not hesitate too much longer if you are going to want a Rock Island. I hope everyone understands the situation I have just described.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210376 09/30/16 05:28 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I just talked to Harry and he is hoping to sell the last few Jones Point Lighthouses before the release of the Rock Island Christmas lighthouse so that collectors can have the same number if they would like on the two lighthouses.

Christmas is coming soon, the Rock island Lighthouse Christmas that is!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210379 10/02/16 05:13 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I would just like to reiterate what Paul said about the few Jones Points left and the Rock Island Christmas piece.

You must understand that to be able to buy a Rock Island Lighthouses with 100% certainty you must either have bought or will buy one of the few remaining Jones Point Lighthouses. The collectors that bought the Jones Point Lighthouse have first priority on the Rock Island Lighthouse and will get the same serial number for both pieces.

PLEASE DON'T ASSUME THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY THE ROCK ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY BUY THE JONES POINT LIGHTHOUSE.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210380 10/02/16 09:42 AM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By flacoastie
PLEASE DON'T ASSUME THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY THE ROCK ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY BUY THE JONES POINT LIGHTHOUSE.

EXACTLY!!

Roland Babineau
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210403 11/04/16 07:47 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Greetings,

This is an update concerning the Christmas Edition Rock Island Lighthouse by Harry Hine Studios. Harry has already sent out an email to collectors that had previously bought the Jones Point Lighthouse from him offering them the same serial number for the Rock Island Lighthouse that they received when
they bought the Jones Point Lighthouse. These collectors were given 2
weeks to respond for ordering the Rock Island Lighthouse. After the 2 weeks is up, any serial numbers that were reserved and not ordered will be reassigned to new collectors placing their orders.

For the Rock Island Lighthouse there will be no down payments this time as it was an extra burden having to send an additional invoice for the remainder of the balance on Jones Point. The cost of the Rock Island Lighthouse will be $95.00 plus shipping (shipping cost will be approximately
$16.50 for a single purchase). Rock Island Lighthouse is now in production and should be ready to ship in late November or the first week of December.
This might change slightly based on the workshops production schedule but I will keep you updated.

There are a small number of Jones Point Lighthouse sculptures still available so if you haven't already bought the Jones Point Lighthouse, why not purchase both Jones Point and Rock Island together and get a matched edition set? This will also guarantee you the same serial number for all future editions and you will receive an automatic notice from Harry when the next edition is available for sale.

You can see pictures of the Rock Island Lighthouse Counter Sample to see what the actual finished lighthouse will look like by viewing Harry's website below. To see how Harry decided on doing Rock Island, have a look at his Blog page on the www.HarryHine.com site, where he's uploaded plans and elevation drawings. The ordering information for Rock Island and Jones Point (if you haven't already ordered it) are available on his site.

Rich

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210406 11/11/16 03:45 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I talked to Harry yesterday and he is now down to approximately 10 Jones Points left so if you have not bought this piece you still have some time to do it.

The Rock Island is still on schedule to start being delivered the first week of December so you should have no problem putting it under the Christmas Tree if you have already ordered it.

If you haven't ordered the Jones Point and want to get a matched serial number set now is the time to do it by visiting Harry's website at www.HarryHine.com and placing your order for either one or both pieces. This will automatically lock in your serial number for all future editions and than you will have 2 lighthouses to place under your tree.

PS: Harry is currently working on a design for a possible 3rd piece for his next lighthouse edition and is also working on a SPECIAL piece that will be a special order only (you will not be required to buy this piece to keep your serial number) so you will want to make sure that you lock in your serial number for his upcoming editions by ordering the Jones Point and/or Rock Island before they are all sold out.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210413 11/23/16 02:31 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
ROCK ISLAND HAS ARRIVED AND BEING PACKAGED FOR SHIPMENTS AS I AM TYPING !!!

Once you get it you will want to put it next to your Jones Point. WHAT, you don't have a Jones Point! It's not to late to order one by visiting www.HarryHine.com and placing your order.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210418 11/29/16 02:18 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harry has checked each Rock Island and they are on their way in great shape. Anyone ordering the Rock Island should have received or will be receiving their shipping information.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210421 12/01/16 02:41 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Got my Rock Island today and what a fantastic job Harry did. The detail is exceptional and the painting is highly detailed. I have it placed in my curio right between my Green and White tipped original Cape Hatteras pieces.

Rich
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210423 12/02/16 03:53 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I received mine yesterday. It really looks great. Will be putting it in the Christmas/winter curio soon.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Christmas In September From Harry Hine [Re: flacoastie] #210424 12/02/16 05:42 AM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Oh how we love that feeling of unboxing a new lighthouse....and what a beautiful sculpture it turned out to be! Special thanks to Harry for getting us our #8 even though we had missed the deadline to order by 3 days to keep it the same as Jones Point. Can't wait to see what's next from Harry Hine Studio :)

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,024 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users