Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jones Point has arrived !!!! #210054 05/25/16 06:40 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I figured I would start a new post for reviews and thoughts on Harry's Jones Point Lighthouse.

The Jones Point Lighthouse is extremely well made and the detail is fantastic as you would expect from Harry since he is a perfectionist. The paint job is also perfect and the foot print should be perfect for everyone's tastes. I am anxious to hear how everyone else feels about the revival of the lighthouse collectibles.

My 2 Jones Point Lighthouses were delivered today by USPS in perfect condition. They were packed very well in a brown shipping box with the white Harry Hine Studio Box inside. The white box has a Harry Hine Studio label and underneath the label is another label with the name of the lighthouse and serial number. The foam insert halves were taped together and you have to cut the tape to separate the top and bottom half of the foam. On top of the foam insert was the COA and a red warning card advising you to be VERY CAREFULL of the fence when removing from the plastic bag.

There is NO item number assigned to the lighthouse and since Harry is only doing 4 items a year I'm sure that just the name of the lighthouse will be all that is needed to identify it.

Rich
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210055 05/25/16 11:01 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I also received the Jones point today.
I did not cut the tape I ripped it off with my teeth. I also read the warning about the fence being fragile after I opened it and took the plastic covering off. But I know to be careful so nothing broke.
The first thing I noticed was the discoloration of the fence at the bottom. at first I thought it was glue or wasn't finished painted. Then I realized it was a type of antiquing. Looks good.

Harry proved my very argument that I held many years ago when I was trying to get the Jones point as our first Forum exclusive. Bob Ott told the group that the Jones point reminded him of his Uncles chicken house. My response was that Harry would make it stand out and be a very exciting and desirable lighthouse. But the majority listened to Bob.
Harry Hines has proved it after Ten years later that I was right and Bob was wrong. I wish Bob was here to see what Harry Did for his Uncles chicken house.

I think i had something to do with Harry picking this one for his first light. If not no one will convince me otherwise.

Congratulations Harry for making a chicken house look like a fantastic River light

DANIEL
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210056 05/26/16 05:47 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Daniel- Are you sure it wasn't the 2nd Forums Exclusive that you nominated Jones Point for?

Surely there are many others that have gotten their Jones Point already. I am very curious as to what your reactions are! Please take some time to post your thoughts.

Last edited by flacoastie; 05/26/16 05:49 AM.

Rich
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210057 05/26/16 06:06 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I got an invoice for the balance, so I don't expect to see mine till next week.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210059 05/26/16 09:44 AM
B
bcatfan Offline
B
Mine arrived today, and I love it. Having made 2 visits to the real thing (2001 and 2013), the sculpture looks like the most recent visit - well-kept and colorful. Many thanks to Harry and all who had a hand in producing this lighthouse!

Beth
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210060 05/26/16 02:51 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Originally Posted By flacoastie
Daniel- Are you sure it wasn't the 2nd Forums Exclusive that you nominated Jones Point for?

Rich
The 2nd Forum Exclusive was chosen by Forum members.
The first exclusive was chosen by us team members.

The Jones point was my first nomination but I didn't get one supportive vote except for maybe you. I saw it was a lost cause when Bob Ott called it his uncles chicken House. Then I switch to the Erie Land Light.

It all worked out for the best. I don't think Harbour Light collectors was ready for the Jones point yet, The team wanted a lighthouse that looked like a lighthouse not a chicken house and the ELL filled all the criteria we where looking for.

DANIEL
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210061 05/28/16 07:10 AM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Jones Point arrived today in Minnesota! What an awesome feeling to unbox a brand new lighthouse, a feeling we haven't had in sooooo many years. Sure we have bought a couple on Ebay, but nothing compares to a brand new piece being unboxed for the first time. What a treat to have the 3 signatures as well. The sculpture is magnificently well done and sure fits with the legacy of Harbour Lights properly. By ordering so quick when it was announced we were able request and receive piece #8! We hope everyone is as excited for this new chapter in the shared Harbour Lights/Harry Hine studios collection as we are.

My only slight nitpick would be the high shipping cost, but unfortunately the cost of shipping has gone up over the years.

Bravo Harry---we look forward to your next release!

Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210063 05/28/16 09:30 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Mine was scheduled to be received today but must have got hung up somewhere. Looks like Tuesday for me now. : )

Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210066 05/28/16 01:41 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
What used to cost an average of $8.00 to ship a piece by USPS has now gone up to an average of $15.00 since the first of the year. Check it out yourself if in doubt. It is now cheaper to ship by FedEx than the post office in many cases.

Rich
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210068 05/29/16 08:14 AM
H
HarryH Offline
H
akmn - Thank you for your kind comments on the Jones Point piece. Tucked away in my studio for months at I time I sometimes wonder if I'm on the right track and whether Harbour Lights collectors would indeed appreciate or even want, the work. It seems as if they do and for that I'm VERY grateful.
Regarding the shipping cost, I agree with you it is very high. I originally priced the shipping at $8.00 based on the weight. When I started shipping and entered the weight and the final box dimensions I got the shock of my life, USPS quoted $20.48! I'd heard there was a price rise but that much!!! Turns out the box size also had something to do with the price.
After shopping around I was able to get a discount that reduced the shipping to $18.20. A little better but still far too high. I've applied to USPS for a proper commercial discount and that will be in effect for the next piece. I am not and will not make a profit on the shipping.
Again, thank you to every one of you support on this project.

Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210070 05/30/16 12:43 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Shipping has gone up but the price of a US-bound first class stamp went down 2 cents as of April 10th. Go-figure.

DANIEL
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210074 05/30/16 03:05 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to admit the unexpected shipping cost is holding up paying the invoice. I guess this in one of the drawbacks of a direct purchase instead of going to a local store and buying.

Hoping to have the funds available in the next week.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210079 05/31/16 12:21 PM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
As expected, the detail is remarkable. I assumed it would be outstanding given Harry's history with Harbour Lights. However, this piece exceeded my expectations considerably. I love the shading and the sculpture is exquisite. I look forward to your next creation, Harry.

Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210080 05/31/16 02:07 PM
G
GobblerGus Offline
G
Very pleased with my first limited edition Harry Hine. Beautiful work!

Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210083 06/01/16 03:33 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Received mine yesterday. Beautiful piece. Thanks Harry, couldn't ask for it to be any better!

Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210245 07/22/16 03:05 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you don't like the Jones Point piece but you are quite sure "down the road" you WILL find a piece or two or more that you DO like, I would still urge you to buy this one for many reasons.
First, as a start-up business, which Harry, for the most part is, the cash flow has to come quick in order to put money into his next project. The less money that has to be borrowed, the less it will cost to make the next lighthouse, which means he can sell it for less. Also, if he can't sell out his first couple of runs, he may decide to stop creating any more new lighthouses because he just can't make any money at it. If he does, then your chance at getting something you like is now impossible.
Another thought to ponder... Let's say the exact opposite happens. If this line becomes wildly popular, (and I think it might), that very first Harry Hine limited edition lighthouse will be one that will be in high demand. How many collectors through the years are kicking themselves for not buying a Cape Hatteras or Coquille at regular retail when they could, or more recently a Burnt Island or Key Largo, or maybe even Fastnet Lens? So you don't like Jones Point? Someone else later on will. With only 300 made, what are the chances that that person who really wants one will be able to find one? Think you might make your money back???

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210246 07/23/16 01:33 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
My exact sentiments but I'm not looking at it from a business perspective, only from a collectors point of view.

An example is the Wisconsin Point that we could not sell out as a blue water version and we changed the last 48 to green water versions and immediately sold out. I wish I had a few of each to sell at this point.

Rich
Re: Jones Point has arrived !!!! [Re: flacoastie] #210247 07/24/16 08:17 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By flacoastie
My exact sentiments but I'm not looking at it from a business perspective, only from a collectors point of view.

An example is the Wisconsin Point that we could not sell out as a blue water version and we changed the last 48 to green water versions and immediately sold out. I wish I had a few of each to sell at this point.

I've got a Wisconsin Point blue water for sale.
http://thecapecodstore.com/harbour_lights/le_wisconsin_point.html

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users