cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Registration of Lighthouses #19674 01/11/99 08:51 AM
HCarpenter Offline OP
OP Offline
I see that the Web Site now contains a section to register lights. I am interested in whether folks actually do this and if it encouraged. When I first started collecting I did fill out the cards and return them, however, I can't remember the last time I did that. Aside from keeping track of how many are out there what purpose does it serve? I am thinking of registering my entire collection...have others done that?

Re: Registration of Lighthouses #19675 01/11/99 07:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes Herb,

I normally do it annually. I used to do it by snail mail, just a listing. Now I do it by E-mail. Don't know the advantages or disadvantages, but in case of theft, it might provide a way of tracking it back if it came into the hands of an innocent collector.

Re: Registration of Lighthouses #19676 01/11/99 09:40 PM
H
Harry R Offline
H
I also send the registrations in but about every other month. I just get in a hurry sometimes or I am not in a position to place the piece on display. So I wait until I have several to send before I register them.

------------------
Harry R

Harry R
Re: Registration of Lighthouses #19677 01/14/99 04:18 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
I also, was told that registering pieces helped in the event of a theft. I have not registered any of my pieces yet. I do track all my pieces however on the computer. Now, with the new registration options (Excel spread sheets) I will register our entire collection soon.

I want to mention that our dealer places her store logos (a sticker) on all boxes & the bottom of each piece. She said thieves may try to price or resell pieces at the store that originally sold it. (She tracks all pieces she sells.) I guess I'm not a true believer since I peel the stickers off before there is damage to the box or felt.

Re: Registration of Lighthouses #19678 01/14/99 11:39 PM
RFoster Offline
Polly, I think that a price sticker doesn't necessarily detract from the collection, be it on the box or the bottom side of the piece. When I first started collecting I felt the same way you do and removed several stickers. Now I look back on the collection and think that the sticker may add to the interest and uniqueness (especially if the sticker has the dealer's name and the issue price).

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Registration of Lighthouses #19679 01/15/99 02:06 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Just to clarify, it's not a price sticker but a sticker with the store name/logo. Since I'm still pretty new, I panicked when I read postings about keeping EVERYTHING associated with a piece in mint condition.

It is nice to have the perspective of looking at the stickers as part of memory lane for each piece.

Ron, I like you outlook!

Re: Registration of Lighthouses #19680 01/15/99 02:07 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Ron! I leave the stickers on, but leave the store, if they put the sticker on the lighthouse surface itself.

Paul

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users