Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hurricane Sandy #207918 10/31/12 01:39 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hoping our NJ folks are safe - Dennis, Stan and Greg. Hal also in that area. And, up in CT we have Ron. Trooper Bob and Tony over into the Boston area. Think LI wasn't clobbered too bad, so hopefully LI Bob is also OK.

Check in and let us know how you are doing if you are able.

And, please keep all those in the storm's path in your thoughts. Lots and lots of damage and loss of life. But also have seen on the news the great actions of so many in helping others.

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207920 10/31/12 01:09 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Also hope all our LH friends are safe. NELL folks, Dennis, Stan, Greg, all the Bob's (LI, BOBO, & Trooper). All of you are in my thoughts. Take Care to all!

Melody
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207923 10/31/12 07:23 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Everything fine here on Cape Cod. Got some wind, nothing we're not used to, and the surf was a bit high and rough. Beach erosion and a few boathouses and small buildings were washed away along the southern shore, but all of us Cape Codders came through fine. Looks like the help and prayers should be directed toward our Jersey and New York friends.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207924 11/01/12 12:19 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Glad that all of you Cape Cod folks are safe, Roland. Hopefully same goes for the other southern NE folks. I did have emails from Greg and Dennis that they and their families are safe. Both without power, but houses and occupants safe. We do need to keep all the folks in the affected areas in our thoughts and prayers as they work their way thru the massive mess that has been created.

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207925 11/01/12 02:15 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We are OK here in Delaware. We had a lot of rain and strong winds on Monday. Most of business and all schools were closed on Monday and Tuesday. They thought the storms was going to hit directly in Delmarva but it hit about 50 miles north between Cape May and Wildwood NJ around 7 PM Monday. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people in NJ and NY as they really got hit hard. We had a lot of flooding and high water in a lot of areas in De and Md. Also eastern shore Va had a lot of water damage and power outages as well in Md and De also. Hopefully everything will get back to normal soon

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207926 11/01/12 09:09 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Hurricanes are getting to be an all East Coast thing and not just a Southern item. Glad everyone is safe. The electricity thing will be the worst along with the flooding.

Rich
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207929 11/03/12 09:16 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Glad that you are safe, Hal. Thanks for checking in.

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207933 11/05/12 03:26 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Any news about the condition of the lighthouses along the shores of New Jersey and New York?

Last edited by lmyhre; 11/05/12 03:28 PM. Reason: to correct spelling
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207935 11/06/12 12:40 PM
The Lightkeeper Offline
Both the Rondout and Saugerties Lighthouses on the Hudson River had flooding due to the storm surge from Sandy. This gives you an idea of how powerful a storm can be. They are both about 100 miles inland from the ocean. The basement was flooded at Rondout and Saugerties had 6 inches of water on the first floor. The Hudson River is a tidal river and has a four foot tide all the way to Troy, which is where I live.

I haven't heard anything about the Hudson Athens Lighthouse. It sits higher above the water and may have made out OK. I would assume that the Esopus Meadows Lighthouse just below Rondout probably also flooded, but I have not heard anything about that either.

Last edited by The Lightkeeper; 11/06/12 12:45 PM.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207937 11/07/12 09:50 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
LI is a disaster on both north and south shores. Sand and water have devastated beach communities and harbor areas. Trees are down and because there are so many there all over the streets. Schools have not reopened. 300,000 still need power. Gas lines are miles long.
We're fine. Never lost power. We're very lucky. I filled my car up before Sandy so I'm good for awhile. Lost a few trees but they didn't hit anything.
This new NEster today will replay pwer & tree problems for many.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207939 11/07/12 06:50 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Old Orchard Shoal is gone. Suzanne
Murphy put this on the Facebook site.

Attached Files
Old Orchard-001.jpg (128 downloads)

Laura
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207940 11/07/12 09:02 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Finally getting a chance to check in.

Power was out from Monday till Friday for us, but many still don't have electric yet. Hopefully by this weekend.

My home has some minor roof damage and we have several trees that are down or will be needing to take down.

Deb's mom was on Hospice in our home at the time the storm hit. Her electric hospital bed had an inflated matress that was deflating. Thanks to a good neighbor who came over several time with his generator, we were able to make her as comfortable as possible until she passed a couple days after the storm.

Her viewings were Sunday and funeral was on Monday. Deb is hanging in there. Some moments she's fine, then she's not at times.

My father(93) and brothers house was hit hard by the flood waters, half way up the first floor. My good friends home(single story) was also flooded by the high flood waters and is unlivable at this time.

There are many other friends homes that have been flooded as well. These are homes west of Barnegat Bay.

I have been helping clean out and demolishing these houses as well as others as much as possible.

I have to admit I am overwhelmed.

The barrier islands are a disaster area. I know part of one bridge is gone from the waves crashing over it. This was a bay bridge.

Currently a Noreaster is coming through and there is already a couple inches of snow on the ground.

I am doing clean up and demo work the next two days, then framing the following two days. I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to remove the down trees in my yard. They might be there for a while.

I hope others affected by Hurricane Sandy are okay.

I know a few NJ & NY lighthouses have some damage.

I'll check back in when I can.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207941 11/08/12 04:06 AM
I
IIIAngieIII Offline
I
Stan: I'm sorry to learn about the passing of your loved one, as well as all of the elements from Hurricane Sandy. It's heartwrenching to turn on CNN and see that so many people are still waiting on help.
I grew up on the MS Gulf Coast and went through Katrina so I can sympathize with what you guys are going through. I think EMRS and FEMA should allow Walmart to lead its departments. Throughout the U.S., Walmart has warehouses stocked with food, supplies, and generators and also have the trucks and man-power to haul it in a swift manner.
All of you in NJ & NY are in my prayers. Take care. ~Ang

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207947 11/09/12 04:15 PM
Bob Taylor Offline
Wacko
Wacko
In regard to an earlier post, the Hudson-Athens light is farther up the river and higher above high tide and made out ok. The Hudson Power Boat Association on shore had water in the building, but the lighthouse in the middle of the river stayed dry. A few of us were out there last weekend to finish the holiday decorations and all was ok.

Bob

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207949 11/10/12 11:21 AM
The Lightkeeper Offline
Thanks for the update Bob.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Lighthouse Loon] #207992 11/22/12 01:44 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Finally getting a chance to check in. Deb's been lurking in my absence.

I hope to go back to work next week. Time to start earning a living again. I've been donating my time to several houses in hopes to get as many people back in there homes as soon as possible.

Some will be in there homes for Christmas, some won't. Hopefully soon after. These houses are far from complete, but livable is the goal.

Sad to see the Shelter Cove beach parking lot used as a makeshift dump. Hopefully this won't be the case when next summer arrives.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207997 11/23/12 02:31 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Stan, it is always great to hear of people helping others - especially when those folks need lots of help and assistance. Sounds like you are using your skills to the betterment of your community. I know the people you have been helping appreciate what you have done. Hopefully they will be able to get homes habitable enough to move people back in before too much longer.

Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #207999 11/26/12 01:17 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: Dave H
Stan, it is always great to hear of people helping others - especially when those folks need lots of help and assistance. Sounds like you are using your skills to the betterment of your community. I know the people you have been helping appreciate what you have done. Hopefully they will be able to get homes habitable enough to move people back in before too much longer.

A few of us are doing as much as we can to help those affected by Sandy. There are so many bad contractors ripping folks off with outragous prices. Most homes west of Barnegat Bay should be habitable between late December and late January. Unfortunately most of the homes on the barrier islands will take a few more months past that. Not sure what the time frame is for the homes that were totally leveled.

This was only a Category 1 hurricane. I can't imagine what a storm like Katrina would have done. Philly would become a coastal city.

Sandy hit the Jersey coast at the same time as high tide and on the same night as a full moon.

Last edited by Lighthouse Loon; 11/26/12 01:18 AM.

Stan M
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #208002 11/27/12 09:27 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Stan, our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the people living in those east coast communities that were ravaged by Sandy. There are lots of people like yourself making a difference, hopefully outweghing the gougers. Thank you for your service.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Hurricane Sandy [Re: Dave H] #208004 11/27/12 12:57 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Take care Stan. Those other contractors will have trouble looking in the mirror...you won't. Best wishes to you and your family.

Laura

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users