Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights #207381 07/01/12 01:34 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Paul Brady has been the most under-appreciated person in the Harbour Lights business for at least a decade, if not longer.

I can't think of any other collectibles line that has as great a photographic record of the whole line. Not just in completeness, but in quality and consistency of images and details of the products.

His knowledge of the product line is complete and his professionalism in photography is just amazing.

While I received financial compensation for about 11 years as Harbour Lights' webmaster, Paul's work was more a labor of love even while his 'payment' was one of each new Harbour Lights.

The complimentary APs and Paint Samples and those he purchased at retail and on the secondary market during the early years makes his one of the very few complete collections of Harbour Lights. He's posted photos of his "museum" that has taken over Paul and Sue's home. Even though a few other collectors might approach the size of Paul's collection, no one I know of has their complete collection on display.

Harbour Lights had many fine employees who provided high quality service to customers, dealers and collectors, but Paul's position as a volunteer is unique.

As Harbour Lights has now wound down to the end after 21 years, Paul deserves our heartfelt thanks and appreciation for his service. Please take a minute to express your thanks and best wishes to Paul (and Sue) Brady.

Proud to count Paul among my best friends...

John Chidester

Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207383 07/01/12 02:22 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I met Paul and Sue in the early days of my Harbour Lights collecting, and have considered both them friends since the first time we met. Paul has answered countless photography questions over the years, helped me locate a hard to find piece a few times over the years, shared a few laughs at many harbour lights gatherings and Hoosier lighthouse club work days and functions. Paul has taken all of us on lighthouse trips with his photography. I have been fortunate to have had the grand tour of the Midwest Harbour Lights Museum. Thank you Paul for everything you have done for Harbour Lights collecting and collectors.

Mark

Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207385 07/01/12 06:26 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thank you is not enough for everything Paul has done for Harbour Lights, his fellow collectors and friends. I still remember your kindness loaning me a roll of film at Assateague whne I ran out. Thanks you Paul.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207390 07/01/12 07:42 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I have not had the good fortune to get to know Paul anywhere as well as some of you have. I have met Paul on several ocassions at the Florida Regionals but have never really had the chance to talk to him for an extended time. However, I have to tell you that if Paul is as friendly and helpful in person, as he has been on the Forums, count yourself lucky to know him first hand.

Rich
Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207405 07/02/12 04:54 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
IMO - Paul's photography is the face of Harbour Lights. Without it many of us would never have gotten interested in collecting them.

I have never met Paul (yet), but reading his CF posts and listening to his HL knowledge and advise, he is as much a part of Harbour Lights is as Bill Younger and Harry Hine.

Thank You Paul !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207470 07/10/12 02:17 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
As we attended HL events all over this country, we met up with Paul and Sue at everyone of them, and enjoyed their company. His pictures are outstanding and we enjoyed watching Paul take them at Rosemont and other places. If you needed a picture of an event, chances are Paul had it (and he was even in it thanks to the miracles of photoshop :)
Thanks Paul for all you did (and continue to do) to improve the brand of HL.

Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207477 07/12/12 05:43 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
That's why he's an ORIGINAL SAINT!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207479 07/12/12 10:56 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
It is about time we give recognition to Paul. Paul has been the back bone of this forum from the beginning. When I am asked a question about Harbour Lights, I have to rely on memory or check some notes. Paul just goes to his curio cabinet and pulls out the real deal.

His extensive photo collection is overwhelming and made the Collectors guide a reality instead of a dream. Sellers on eBay are still enjoying his photography.

I met Paul at several events, but we didn’t talk much because he was always busy taken pictures. Because of Paul and a few others like him is why I don’t see the art of collecting HL coming to an end. As long as we have collectors like Paul, we can still keep this hobby alive.

Paul keep up the good work.

DANIEL
Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207492 07/17/12 12:56 AM
K
keeperjj Offline
K
Paul and Sue were some of the first HL friends I had. They joined the HL Great Lakes District Club back in 1997 and would come up to Wisconsin for our events. I enjoyed talking with them and their company. Paul is a great photographer and truly deserves the recognition due to him. Thank you Paul and Sue for your friendship.
It has been years since I have done the Harbour Lights forums. Our life has changed so much. The money I spent on collecting HL's has gone to pay for my four daughters weddings. We have three grandsons, and four son-in-laws(now I got the boys) I still have my collection and still proudly displaying them. To all our Harbour Lights collecting family thanks for all the fun memories.

Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207495 07/18/12 11:54 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for all the kind words, three things got me involved with Harbour Lights and taking pictures for them.. 1st was a trip in December of 1996, with Sue and I taking my late Mother, Helen along with us starting at the Outer Banks then down the East Coast Lights all the way to Key West.. We came back up the Gulf to Pensacola then home.

While on the Outer Banks it started at the Robert's store where my Mother bought me my 1st HL and Sue bought me three more to surprise me with on my Birthday and Christmas the HL journey had begun.. In June we went around MI & WI lighthousing again and going to stores, I picked up 41 HL's on that trip.

(2) Sue and I went to a Bill signing and met the Man shortly after that.. Of course Bill and I hit it off like we were family, the HL journey took on a whole new meaning to me..

(3) While all of this was going on I met my separated at birth brother, John Chidester on-line.. In San Diego at the 1st Reunion John and I met in person and I provided him my images from the Reunion to help with an on-line history of the event.. From there Sue and I started going to every event we could and providing HL's images of it to Maureen of HL's.

Bill , Nancy, Kim & Harry became very close friends of Sue and myself as we kept going to more and more events and shooting more and more of HL’s images.. It was at these events where we met new friends for life some of which have posted in this thread..

After a while HL started providing me with AP's of each light as payment for my services for the HL website, product pictures and Legacy pictures, etc., which was greatly appreciated since all this travel, and collecting was costing a fortune..

This arrangement continued with Harry and Don after Bill sold HL's.

I had a very strong feeling that the cruise was going to be a final moment in the history of HL's and both Sue and I are so glad that the cruise happened and we got to spend special time with our HL family, both on the cruise and the 2 weeks heading into it..

Thanks again for letting me share my photo skills, passion for lighthouses, and friendship/camaraderie with all of you.

Paul

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207606 08/13/12 09:50 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul,

Just wanted to "chime in" and say thank you for all your great Harbour Lights work over the years. I can remember back in the day with all the excitement around Harbour Lights and I enjoyed all your input and effort to make collecting Harbour Lights as enjoyable as it was.

Again, "Thank You" for adding to the excitement.

Re: Paul Brady - the unsung hero of Harbour Lights [Re: Webmaster] #207607 08/13/12 09:50 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul,

Just wanted to "chime in" and say thank you for all your great Harbour Lights work over the years. I can remember back in the day with all the excitement around Harbour Lights and I enjoyed all your input and effort to make collecting Harbour Lights as enjoyable as it was.

Again, "Thank You" for adding to the excitement.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users