cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Orkney lighthouses #207276 06/20/12 06:42 AM
Dmitry Offline OP
OP Offline
Recently i've made business trip to Orkney Islands (Scotland). This kind of paradise for LH funs - there are so many of them around the archipelago. So few tips about Orkney Lighthouses. As usial click on the thumbnail opens larger image.
Most popular and easiest to access - definitely lighthouse in Kirkwall. This is old Kirwall pier light, not used anymore:

Instead of it there is one more light in operation at the breakwater knuckle:

Next lighthouses are not so easy to get, need some transport. If you based on Mainland (central and biggest island) and have a car, you can see few of them.
Brough of Birsay lighthouse, located in a walking distance from Birsay village on the north-west part of Mainland. It is located on small island, connected by pathway to Mainland. Access to this island is possible only during low tide.

Rose Ness lighthouse is located on the south-east point of Mainland. There is no road, but it is in the walking distance (around 10-15 min) from nearest farm.

Travel to north-east (direction to Deerness) and find any road heading to the east coast. You could see two lighthouses on the small islands. There is no any public transport to these islands, so simplest way is just to view them from coast of Mainland. These are:
Copinsay lighthouse

and Auskerry lighthouse, which is much far and seen only in clear weather:

Next target is Stromness - 2nd biggest city of Orkney. In walking distance from the city there is a Ness Point with nice pathway on the seaside. From this passway you could see Skerry of Ness lighthouse (just off-shore):

And more distant Hoy Sound low

And Hoy Sound High lighthouses

Both located on Graemsay island. If you want to get closer to them - you can take ferry trip to Graemsay from Stromness harbour.

Last edited by Dmitry; 06/20/12 06:42 AM.

Regards, Dmitry
Collecting photos of lighthouses. If you have some - join to our team!
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207277 06/20/12 06:43 AM
Dmitry Offline OP
OP Offline
Next target is South Ronaldsay island. You can get there by car via famous Churchill Barriers. South end of the island and you could see Lother Rock light:

and Muckle Skerry lighthouse (this is already not Orkney - Pentland Skerries)

Well, that's all you could get on Mainland. For next ones you need to take some ferries.
Ferry Houton - Lyness (which on the Hoy Island) crosses Scapa Flow and shows you Cava lighthouse:

And a bit far away Barrel of Butter lighthouse:

Also from Lyness you could see Cantick Head lighthouse, but maybe you'll have a chance to make better photo if you travel south on the Hoy island:

Ferry from Kirkwall to Shapinsay passes by Thieves Holm light (just outside of Kirkwall harbour)

and Helliar Holm lighthouse

Ferry Kirkwall - Stronsay comes near small Papa Stronsay light

Calf Sound lighthouse stays aside of regular ferry routes. I was lucky to get it - there was unusial ferry Stronsay - Westray, which came near it:

And the last in this trip brilliant Noup Head lighthouse located at the north tip of Westray island:

That was definitely not all Orkney's lighthouses, so i kept some of them maybe for next visit :)

Last edited by Dmitry; 06/20/12 06:43 AM.

Regards, Dmitry
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207279 06/20/12 09:56 AM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Those are great Dmitry! Scotland is one of the places I want to see. How long were you there?
Thanks for the pictures!

Laura
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207281 06/20/12 10:02 AM
Dmitry Offline OP
OP Offline
In total i've been to Orkney for around 2 weeks, but walking around may be about 2-3 days - was too much work to do.

Regards, Dmitry
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207282 06/20/12 10:46 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow !!! Great pics Dmitry !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207292 06/21/12 12:51 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellent photography and website! Dmitry. Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em comin'

John

Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207298 06/22/12 09:23 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dmitry, your photos are always a treat. Thank you so much for bringing other parts of the world into our circle. I, for one, appreciate it immensely.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207321 06/25/12 12:49 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
As the others have said, Dmitry, thanks for sharing the great pictures and information on where to find the lights, how to get to them. Interesting that there are so many lights in what appear to be fairly short towers, and only a few taller towers. Are they considered landfall lights? Wonder what size lens are in the towers?

Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207322 06/25/12 04:39 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
As always Dmitry, thanks for sharing your advenure! Very unsual assortment, I can't believe you found some of the smaller ones? Very nice quality photos.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Orkney lighthouses [Re: Dmitry] #207367 06/29/12 04:53 PM
Dmitry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to everybody for feedback :)
Dave, Orkney is quite complicated for navigation due very strong tidal currents, changing every few hours, so that's why i think amount of lighthouses is unusially high and they really not so tall and high range, i think mostly intended to help navigate in the straights between islands and keep away from rocks.
Bob, yes, some of them was hard to find, fortunately due to my job i always have information about all lighthouses and nav.lights in the area :)

Regards, Dmitry

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,012 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users