cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ALF Chapter President Dies #18924 01/02/05 07:37 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
I just got a blank message from LHDigest, the subject was "A true lighthouse friend is lost - ALF chapter president dies"

Re: ALF Chapter President Dies #18925 01/02/05 08:27 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Subject: A true lighthouse friend is lost - ALF chapter president dies

To our lighthouse friends:

I am sorry to report on the passing of our good and dear friend Richard "Dick" Melville.

Dick was Chairman of the Friends of Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation.

Dick was a special person, one whom I admired and respected. He was an down to earth type of guy, what many of us refer to as "good people."

When the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse was turned over to the American Lighthouse Foundation, Dick was the first to step forward to lead a chapter. He worked diligently in forming the chapter and finding and training dedicated volunteers.

He led the way in opening the lighthouse to the general public on a regular basis making it the first land based lighthouse on the coast of Maine to be open to the public at scheduled times.

He led the way in the battle for a Maine lighthouse quarter, which eventually happened with the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse adorning it.

He worked hard in helping to make the ceremony dedicating the quarter a success with people from all over the world in attendance.

As well as being involved in the American Lighthouse Foundation as a chapter president, he was president of the Round Top Center for the Performing Arts and also led that group to new heights.

I spoke with his wife Angela a few minutes ago and we reflected on our first meeting and how much Dick loved the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. In fact yesterday Dick and Angela spent a hour at the lighthouse basking in the warm sun, which is unusual at Pemaquid Point this time of the year in Maine. A few hours later, at 8PM last night, he passed away.

The funeral will be at St. Andrews Church, but the time and date has not yet been set. When the time and date are confirmed, it will be posted on the American Lighthouse Foundation web site at www.LighthouseFoundation.org.

Cards can be sent to his wife at the address below. Even if you don't know her, you could send the card by simply stating that you are a friend from the lighthouse community.

Angela Melville
P. O. Box 125
Bristol, Maine 04539

Please do not send flowers. Angela has requested in lieu of flowers that donations be made to the American Lighthouse Foundation, P.O. Box 889, Wells, ME 04090 marked for the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse or to the Round Top Center for the Arts, P.O. Box 1316, Damariscotta, ME 04543

Unfortunately, I am away from home and the office and I do not have most of my e-mail addresses at this location. I would request that those who get this e-mail to please forward this e-mail on to others in the lighthouse community who you think might want to be aware of Dick's untimely passing.

Tim Harrison
American Lighthouse Foundation

I have only met Dick a few times, but I was very impressed with his dedication to the cause of preserving our historic lights for future generations and in particular the hard work that he did at the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. I met him at the Maine Lighthouse Quarter Ceremony which was certainly one of his accomplishments, again when visiting the lighthouse with my wife and brother and his wife, when Dick gave me a private tour of the tower. I will miss him and his kindness. He was indeed a true friend of the Lighthouse Community. My sincere condolences go out to his entire family.

Paul Conlin

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: ALF Chapter President Dies #18926 01/02/05 10:08 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Our condolences go our to Dick's family. How sad it is to lose a loved one. I'm sure the memory of spending the sunny afternoon at Pemaquid with Dick will forever be etched in Angela's mind.

Lorna & I spent yesterday on Cape Cod visiting several of the lights. It was such a beautiful day that I was walking around in short sleeves. She was originally reluctant to go because there were so many things to be done at the house. I told her they can wait because you don't often get such a nice day this time of the year.

I can only imagine Dick feeling the same way when he and Angela went to Pemaquid for a visit.

Enjoy life while you have your health everyone! You never know what tomorrow might bring.

frown Lorna & Bob frown

Re: ALF Chapter President Dies #18927 01/03/05 11:09 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have a condolence note written out on my new Currituck Beach notecards. It is never good when we lose a member of the lighthouse community, and people like Dick are the special people whose loss is especially painful.

He will be missed by all of us. frown

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (fiksegts, Dave H), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users