Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Soliciting Trip Tips #200898 02/14/11 07:40 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Planning a trip to leave Weds and go to Chicoteague and see the lighthouse.

Thursday to see the Cape Charles light on the way to the Bridge Tunnel. Spending the night in Washington NC.

I've seen Cape Henry and most of the Chesapeake lighthouses from our boat - also all the lighthouses on the outer banks.

Three days in Summerville SC visiting grandchildren.

I've seen the lighthouses in the Charleston area.

Then down to St. Mary's GA to visit Cumberland Island

I've visited Tybee Island and St. Simons.

Following that going to Ft. Pierce, Miami to stay with a daughter, Key West to visit with sister and coming back to Miami.

Then going via the West Coast of FL to Dallas to visit with more grandchildren.

I hope to be able to see some west coast FL lighthouses. We are driving. How is the best route to do this. I have seen Boca Grande (Port Boca Grande, Gasparilla Island), Gasparilla Island (Boca Grande Entrance Range Rear) and Pensacola.

Is there a route that anyone has used to see some of the West Coast Florida lighthouses - we will be traveling the first week in March

Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200910 02/15/11 12:05 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, If you take US 98 west from Perry, FL you pass the St, Marks, Crooked River, Cape St George, Cape San Blas, and Port St Joesph lighthouses. Crooked River is right on the highway. The others require short jaunts off the main road, but none are more the 10-15 minutes off of US 98. St. Marks is probably the longest drive off of 98, but it is a nice drive with little traffic.

Eric
Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200911 02/15/11 12:43 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Great - I'll put that in my route!!!

Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200914 02/15/11 02:28 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
St. Marks is a must!! Wildlife Preserve is where it is located..

Including Gators..

Some of those lights in reverse of how you are traveling..

Florida Panhandle Lights

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200916 02/15/11 02:37 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, Sapelo Island looks like an interesting place to visit. I have only seen the light at night from the ferry dock, but I hope to get out to the island one day. Two lighthouses there.
Assateague lighthouse - you can see the light at night from the back of the McDonald's parking lot on Chincoteague. You should be safe from the killer mosquitoes this time of year. I wonder if they have painted the lighthouse yet?
Do you have a way onto Cumberland Island? That is supposed to be an extremely difficult light to see. Very cool if you can get pictures of that one.
Paul is right - St. Marks is a must see.

Laura
Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200927 02/15/11 08:23 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
There's a ferry that goes over to Sapelo and a van for a tour. You'll need a reservation and probally have to arrange your trip around the limited dates available. IT'S WORTH IT!!!! It's quite an experience! The people who live there are very unique.

http://gastateparks.org/info/sapelo/

Last edited by rscroope; 02/15/11 11:01 PM.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200935 02/16/11 11:52 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I've already made my ferry reservation to go to Cumberland Island plus an all terrain wheelchair. Not sure about Sapelo as that is in the second half of the trip

Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: wvlights0] #200941 02/16/11 08:20 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Originally Posted By: wvlights0
Assateague lighthouse - you can see the light at night from the back of the McDonald's parking lot on Chincoteague. You should be safe from the killer mosquitoes this time of year. I wonder if they have painted the lighthouse yet?

Last I was there, in April 2010, they hadn't. It really, really, REALLY needs it.

Still an awesome light, though.

Re: Soliciting Trip Tips [Re: grandmaR] #200942 02/17/11 12:11 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Bob was packed a week in advance for the trip. I started thinking about packing on Saturday and got one suitcase (extras stuff and things I expected to 'use up') packed Sunday and the other one done Monday.

We went to the new Italian restaurant for trivia. We came in 2nd and won a bottle of wine which we insisted that our friends take as we do not drink. At the restaurant, the serving people were overwhelmed by the new rush of people and the food wasn't all that good. It also gave me heartburn and I've had some intestinal discomfort since then which affected the trip the next day.

We got to the Virginia boarder about 2 and we got maps (Virginia, Chincoteaque, National Seashore, etc). We arrived on Chincoteaque (which the GPS pronounced Chincoty or something like that) at 1424, and I decided to check out the southern visitor's center first. And it was indeed closed. We took a couple photos of the lighthouse from there.

We looked at the beach, but I was saving my energy for the walk to the lighthouse and didn't go out on it. Didn't see any ponies. We also took some photos of the birds in the wildlife refuge. There were supposed to be snow geese, and there were white birds but they were too far away for me to see whether they were geese or swans. And some of the pictures of the birds have the lighthouse in the background.

We got to the lighthouse trail and did walk to it although it took just about every energy unit I had. The trail was mostly crushed stone - Bob said it looked new.

This was taken from as far as I got - Bob is walking around the lighthouse.

On the way back toward the hotel we passed the museum (closed) and the McDonalds where we could see the lighthouse, but I thought we would come back for that later.

When we got to the hotel (we are staying at the Hampton Inn) I downloaded the photos we took (Bob took 11, I took 80) but I kept having to go into the bathroom to meditate. Next time I go I'm taking the phone book in there to read. Bob wasn't enthusiastic about the supper which was soup, chips, cold cut sandwiches and drinks. But I didn't think I could get that far from the bathroom, so in the end that was what we did.

Tomorrow I'll go to the back of the McDonald's parking lot before we leave here.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users