Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxes, boxes, boxes...who's got the boxes? #195934 12/24/06 01:50 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
While I was working on my inventory earlier this month, I made an observation that I hadn't really noticed before. I noticed that the same limited edition version of a particular light came in different size boxes.

The first one that came to mind was the replica of Edgartown, HL 603. I have six of them and three of the boxes are larger than the other ones.

I also noticed a couple of the original 91-92 releases, namely St. George's Reef (four of those) and Grosse Point (ten of those) in the newer style box rather than the original blue box we are all familiar with. They all have what appears to be the original HL label and numbering on the box.

Do you think they came from Harbour Lights that way as a replacement for a damaged piece, or do you thing a dealer or collector may have substitued a different box and doctored it up?

Anyone else notice different boxes for the same LE in their collection?

smile Bob smile

Re: Boxes, boxes, boxes...who's got the boxes? #195935 12/24/06 04:29 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob
The lighthouses that were made before the end of 95 to middle of 96 (depending on the lighthouse)had the box that we all are familiar with. The tall one with the peanuts packing. After that, Harbour Lights switched over to a box with a molded insert. The older ones that switched over,like St George had an insert made of an iso-cyanurate material (the stuff used for rigid insulation). The newer lights like Big Bay and Jupiter switched over to a styrene material. Of course all of these have the smaller box. So if your St George has an insert that looks like rigid insulation you have the original equipment. It is possible that the insert was lost and it was replaced with peanuts. The smaller box and insert would be true for any St George that had a number of somewhere around the low 4000’s up to 5500. I do have a 4400 ST George with the iso-cyanurate insert and the small box.

As we all know back in the middle 90’s you were able to get replacement boxes. They were the standard issue large blue box that took peanuts. After they switched to the insert type HL didn’t provide boxes anymore. Two many sizes for HL to worry about. But what happened probably around 2004 was that you were able to get hl boxes again. The ones I purchased all look the same and are small like the newer box style. In my opinion the boxes you are talking about are the newer HL replacement boxes that was purchased by the individual that sold you the lighthouse.
These come from HL already with the standard issue sticker on them.

DANIEL
Re: Boxes, boxes, boxes...who's got the boxes? #195936 12/24/06 09:12 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
More on boxes.
I through the above together by memory.
Did a little digging and found out the Lighthouses made in China started the styrene insert, the first being Cape Hatteras Glow #401 back in 1994. I don’t know for sure but it might be as different lighthouses changed from Malaysian to China back in 95 and 96 that they switched over to styrene inserts. China started producing their lighthouses with Cold Cast Porcelain instead of the Hydrostone that the Malaysians were still using at the time. The Cold Cast Porcelain aloud a better paint adhesion so that the more abrasive styrene inserts could be used. The older Malaysian lighthouse like the St George most likely had a different type insert so as not to damage the more delicate paint.

DANIEL
Re: Boxes, boxes, boxes...who's got the boxes? #195937 12/24/06 10:16 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Bob M,

Check out your Charllotte Genesee, NY collection. If memory serves me correct the box changes for this piece have been well documented although I forget by whom and in what publication etc.

1. Standard Malaysian blue box with peanuts
2. Smaller sized blue box with gray colored
plastic film covering form fitting foam.
3. Same or similar small sized blue box with
form fitted white styrene.

Lonnie
Re: Boxes, boxes, boxes...who's got the boxes? #195938 12/25/06 12:54 AM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I remember that I had noticed that I had 3 different sized boxs for the same piece, going by memory only I think it was Stonington Harbor and or the red legacy. I know I took a picture and had posted it a long time ago. I'll see If I can find it.

Re: Boxes, boxes, boxes...who's got the boxes? #195939 12/28/06 10:28 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Speaking of boxes, I received my red & white hull "Macs" yesterday and was surprised to see the Anchor Bay boxes are now all white instead of the older version which was a shade of red and white. The AB logo is still the same but the box is now all white with black lettering.

Will the boxes for 2007 change for HL's? Will the regular blue box with Portland Head depicted on it still have the newer style red HL logo and the red web site address?

smile Bob smile

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users