Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barking Rocks Light House #189952 03/03/07 11:32 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess we can tell what the general opinion is about the Barking Rocks on the forums, but many times those that approve don't voice their opinions. This poll is to give a more accurate account of what percentage likes it and what is liked about it and what isn't.

Picture of "Barking Rocks"

DANIEL
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189953 03/04/07 01:39 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Under question #1, if you had a choice that said:

"Someday buy it on Ebay for .99 cent"

I might have selected that one.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189954 03/06/07 09:20 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What should be done to it?

How about adding a few dogs to the landscape!!!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189955 03/06/07 11:43 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
59 users have voted at the unofficial 3-day mark. That's got to be a record for the CF. I guess it shows the controversy "Barking Rocks" has created.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189956 03/06/07 08:51 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We have not had this much participation for the past three years and we definitely never had this much polling participation in three days.

DANIEL
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189957 03/19/07 10:11 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I guess, "The Tribe has spoken" on this matter. Sixty-nine CF members cast their ballot and only a half dozen or so said they would be willing to purchase the piece.

Now what happens? Will "Barking Rocks" be displayed on dealer shelves next to the real HL's? Will consumers wonder exactly what it is? Is it from Disney? Is it from Dept 56? Is it from Dave Winter? Perhaps "BR" may be making the give-away scene at the Regionals and Signing Events. It could be donated to lighthouse groups as a prize for fund raisers. It will pop up in various collections by chance. Maybe they will end up on eBay. Won't it be interesting to see what they bring at auction?

Will "Barking Rocks" come back to haunt us for many years to come?

confused Bob confused

Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189958 03/19/07 03:27 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I talked to Bill Younger about the “Barking Rocks” He said he saw it in person and that there are many parts to it. It is a big piece and it is well done. It is an expensive piece to make and the price from the factory has already gone up from the original cost. Yes, he knows about the Forums dislike for it. Sean and I made sure he was aware of all the details. Still with all that, Bill feels that it will sell out. It is going to be sought after by those that collect David Winter products and especially those that collect both David Winter and Harbour Lights.

Bill agreed with my suggestion that both stickers, HL and DW should be put on the Barking Rocks and that would help sell it.

I think before all you collectors give up your low numbered auto-shipment you need to see the “B.R.” in person and look at the art work involved to create it. I do understand everyone’s concern about it not being a real lighthouse but neither was the Harbour Light Legacy lights. Remember it is still a lighthouse and it is still made by Harbour Lights.

DANIEL
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189959 03/19/07 08:11 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
It's sad that a Limited Edition Harbour Light will be sought after more by those that collect another collectible. It may even have more of a secondary appeal to the David Winter crowd. Again, sad. Who are these things made for? Us or them? Is it worth capturing a few new collectors who might buy a few lighthouses to lose those that continually buy them all?

I personally feel that Harbour Lights doesn't care about my business. That's not an opinion but a fact! I dont need to see the piece, I dont want it and my edition number can be given away with absolutely no future regrets of how the Secondary Market might treat it!

bash

Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189960 03/20/07 10:32 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by DANIEL:
I think before all you collectors give up your low numbered auto-shipment you need to see the “B.R.” in person and look at the art work involved to create it. I do understand everyone’s concern about it not being a real lighthouse but neither was the Harbour Light Legacy lights. Remember it is still a lighthouse and it is still made by Harbour Lights.
I don't plan on collecting the Legacy lights either. But I will still take a look at the BR piece.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189961 03/20/07 11:05 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Agreed, the lighthouse on the HL600 piece was not a real lighthouse. What sold it to the HL collector was the description. The promotional material of HL600 was that it honored the legacy of our lighthouses, our heritage. It also bore an HL# as a limited edition.

That information as lighthouse enthusiasts and collectors, we could all relate to. Besides, it was a sign proclaiming the name of our collection...and it was only 4" X 6". The size of it didn't overwhelm the collection.

The promotional material for Barking Rocks only talks about the ghostly sounds of barking and whimpering dogs in the night and during storms. These mystical dogs become calm on sunny days.

HUH???
Ah, but it bares an HL # as a limited edition. That alone will be a selling point to some.

Judy

Judy
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189962 03/20/07 12:31 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Sorry, Dan, I don't agree. Granted the first Legacy Lights were fictitious but didn't cost $125. I called my dealer and told them I didn't want the "Barking Rocks" piece. I have no desire to add a fantasy or fictitious light to my collection of Harbour Lights. I looked at the pic on the HL website and made my mind up on the spot. Do I feel strongly about my decision? One word: Yes! Could I be swayed to change my mind? One word: No! As a matter of fact, if my dealer told me I had to take it because I'm on auto ship, I probably would have cancelled my auto ship.

Quote:
Ah, but it bares an HL # as a limited edition. That alone will be a selling point to some.
I won't be in that group, Judy. I suspect the majority will pass on "BR". That should open up some great low flag#s for those considering a purchase. I know I received zero responses when I offered my auto ship #23 "BR" piece to anyone who wanted it before I cancelled it.

The bottom line is, "Buy it if you like it". I will not be buying it because, "I don't like it".

nono Bob

Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189963 03/21/07 08:13 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Judy, this is entirely in fun: explore "bears" versus "bares."

Unless one really IS trying to get to the bottom of things! vhappy

Danny

Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189964 03/22/07 12:51 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Heh, missed that one, Danny. But on the other hand, maybe the word does fit the situation. :rolleyes:

Judy

Judy
Re: Barking Rocks Light House #189965 03/22/07 04:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't care what anyone says about this piece or how much you can say to defend its existence.

It just plain (and I really don't like this word, but I have finally discovered why it is a word and I do apologize if I offend anyone)
just SUCKS

Throw me off the forums if you want, but my final answer is!!!

Deal or no deal

NO DEAL !!!!

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,068 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users