Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187230 09/29/07 05:02 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Here's a few pics when we were leaving port from Dublin and then Cork, Ireland.

These photos are of Baily Lighthouse in the Dublin harbor entrance.

These pictures are Roaches Point Lighthouse taken when we were leaving port from Cork, Ireland.

We also saw the Old Head Kinsale lighthouse but it was too far to get a good picture. It is surrounded by a golf course. I really wanted to get to Hook Head lighthouse but it was too far to get there and be back on the ship on time.

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187231 09/30/07 01:53 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Nice pictures Lorie. I like the third on in particular. It looks almost to be in 3-D.

Tom

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187232 09/30/07 06:58 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I really enjoy pictures of foreign lights. These are all great shots. I'm curious as what the multi-colored buildings are on the left of the Roaches Point, second picture. Is it private housing?

Great pics, Lorie! Thanks for sharing.

smile Bob smile

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187233 09/30/07 07:25 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I also enjoy seeing foreign lights. They are so different from those here in the States.
These are very nice photos! Glad that you shared them with us!

Debbie
Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187234 09/30/07 09:50 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Lorie, for your nice photos. I hope some day to see the lights of Ireland.
Judy

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187235 09/30/07 09:57 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks Lorie. I saw these lights last year while in Ireland on a cruise. Did you see any of the other lights on your way into or out of the ports of Dublin and Cobh?

I will be back in Ireland in 2 weeks but will probably not see either of these although I am planning on getting to Hook Head at the very least.

I'll be on a driving trip with Esther and my brother and his wife. I hope to get back to Kinsale and see Charles Fort light as well.

Dennis

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187236 10/01/07 02:13 AM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi Dennis,

I went to Charles Fort in Kinsale and saw the light on the fort. It's small but the view from the fort is worth going there. You can see the Old Kinsale Head light flashing from the fort in the far distance. I think the guide said it was about 8 miles away from the fort.

I'm jealous you'll get to see Hook Head. That would be my number 1 light to see in Ireland. I did see a few lighthouses from the distance but was too far away to get a decent shot or see what lighthouse it might be. We did go by the Eddystone light when we were cruising from Le Havre, France towards Dublin. We could also see Smeaton's Tower in Plymouth, England as we made the turn around the southwest corner of England.

So much of what you see depends on the weather! We were lucky to have clear, sunny skies most of the time.

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187237 10/01/07 03:12 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Lorie,

I stood outside the entrance to Charles fort fo r almost 15 minutes before Esther noticed the light. I had forgotten about it. We stopped in kinsale on an excursion from our cruise and did a short stop on the way out of town to view the city & harbor from there.

I got a photo of part of the LH but I hope to get back to Kinsale and tour the fort and get a good view of the LH.

Hook Head is the one thing i've told all on the trip this time that I have to get to. We'll combine it with Waterford which pleases Esther and Cathy (my sister-in-law). We'll be staying in Mallow County cork and driving to different places each day with the last 2 days in Dublin.

I don't expect to get to too many other lighthouses as my brother and his wife are not into LH's.

Dennis

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187238 10/01/07 03:34 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dennis...for what it's worth...we found better prices on Waterford crystal in Dublin than in Waterford or at the factory there.

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187239 10/01/07 04:36 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
Dennis...for what it's worth...we found better prices on Waterford crystal in Dublin than in Waterford or at the factory there.
The nice thing about buying a piece of Waterford at the factory store is that you can get it signed by the creator of the original Waterford lighthouse. The story of how he made a lighthouse piece for his son, that became the model for the Hook Lighthouse piece, was in lighthouse digest.
HCS

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187240 10/01/07 04:44 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
Lorie,

I stood outside the entrance to Charles fort fo r almost 15 minutes before Esther noticed the light. I had forgotten about it. We stopped in kinsale on an excursion from our cruise and did a short stop on the way out of town to view the city & harbor from there.

I got a photo of part of the LH but I hope to get back to Kinsale and tour the fort and get a good view of the LH.

Hook Head is the one thing i've told all on the trip this time that I have to get to. We'll combine it with Waterford which pleases Esther and Cathy (my sister-in-law). We'll be staying in Mallow County cork and driving to different places each day with the last 2 days in Dublin.

I don't expect to get to too many other lighthouses as my brother and his wife are not into LH's.

Dennis
Dennis,

If you are spending two days in Dublin, you should have plenty of time to see several lights. There are ten of them in and around Dublin, all quite easy to get to if you have a car.
HCS

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187241 10/01/07 06:48 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice pictures.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187242 10/01/07 07:53 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
Lorie,

I'll pass that on to those who may be purchasing such things- Esther & Cathy. I won't be doing any of that.

Dennis

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187243 10/01/07 07:57 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
[b] Lorie,

Dennis
Dennis,

If you are spending two days in Dublin, you should have plenty of time to see several lights. There are ten of them in and around Dublin, all quite easy to get to if you have a car.
HCS [/b]
Hilary,

As I said in my original post quoted above- there is no great expectation on lighthouse visits on this trip. This is even more true in dublin as we have limited time and literally unlimited other choices. I've made it clear we ARE DEFINITELY getting to Hook Head anything else is a bonus as far as i'm concerned.

Different people have different priorities and I ahve to respect that.(Anyway I saw a number of the lighthouses in the dublin area last year on the cruise ship leaving Dublin)

Dennis

Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187244 10/03/07 01:56 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
All these Irish lighthouses look to be self contained villages, the US definition of a lightstation.
Your view from the cruise ship Lorie makes it almost look like ariel photos.
Great shots! I can't wait to get there.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Dublin & Cork, Ireland #187245 10/06/07 11:31 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Great photos Lorie!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,389 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users