Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jones Point Lighthouse... #186511 07/28/09 10:53 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Before breakfast Sue and I decided to do a "little" lighthousing..

When I say little I mean thumbnail little..

We drove by Cove Point Light on the way up to photograph Jones Point Light, the gate was locked of course, but I was able to reach up over the fence and get this image..

Jones Point Lighthouse, Virginia..

For those who aren't aware this lighthouse was chosen as the winning light assured out getting the biggest share of the funds raised by the Forums opportunity drawing.

It looks like the lanternroom could use work on it..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Jones Point Lighthouse... #186512 07/28/09 10:54 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

It looks like they could use some more funds for paint to finish the fence.. Actually they have a lot of projects going on and they are doing a good job of restoration so far..

Re: Jones Point Lighthouse... #186513 07/29/09 12:48 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
This is truly a beautiful light even though it is a basic, no frills structure. Daniel was the committee person that nominated Jones Point and has been trying to get it duplicated by Harbour Lights for the past 2 Forums Exclusives. He was lucky enough to have it selected as the winner of the Opportunity Drawing which means it will receive the bulk of the money we raise. It would be nice if enough money could be raised to give a donation to all the lights that were nominated but it doesn't look like that will be possible unless we have a last minute whirlwind of donations. We were hoping to receive enough money to offer all the prizes listed but it appears like that will not happen. The generosity of the donors so far has been great and with the money that Terry's (Bronze Lady) drawing raised, with a #9 Split Rock being given away, will certainly put us very close to $1,000. If we could receive approximately another $100 we can add the $1,100 tier of prizes to the garanteed list of lights that would be given away.

I hope that no one takes offense to this post that have already mailed their donations to Roland because we appreciate all that has been done so far. I am reaching out to the people reading this that have not donated to this cause because they feel their $5.00 donation is not worthy enough to be appreciated. The lighthouse groups that will receive our donations will appreciate any donations received and a mere $5.00 will buy a gallon of much needed paint, a box of nails, a plant for beautification, etc. This is your chance to help these volunteers and prove to them that you care about lighthouses and what they mean to the history of this nation.

With the above being said, I want to again thank Daniel for choosing this light. While he may not be participating on this Forum anymore, I know that he is following this Opportunity Drawing very closely and has confirmed that his gift will still be donated once we reach the $1,100 tier level.

Rich
Re: Jones Point Lighthouse... #186514 07/29/09 06:44 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Some things Jones Point Lighthouse needs:

Seawall repaired (to prevent the lighthouse from falling into the Potomac River).

Inside needs everything. Vandals in the past build fires inside that did damage. Therefore, support beams need to be replaced, flooring replaced, stairs need work, walls are bare etc.. Go to his link to see some pictures:
http://jonespoint.garoux.net/jones_point_lighthouse.htm
Right now it is unsafe to go inside.
(By the way the fence in the picture was fixed.)

The building had a chimney at each end of the lighthouse, they had fallen down, they should be rebuilt. The lantern roof needs to be rebuilt too (ventilation and lightening rod). And of course windows put back in (may need a new door).
Go to this link and scroll down to see original blueprints and pictures form the 1960's when the lighthouse was at it's low point.
http://jonespoint.garoux.net/Images.htm

On the bright side, the Mount Vernon Chapter of the D.A.R. has saved and restored two fresnel lenses (one of which there are only 3 of that we know). They can be see at the Lyceum Museum in Alexandria, a short distance from the lighthouse.
They have also fixed the fence when damaged and painted the lighthouse several times and re-roofed it too.

So if you haven't bought a ticket, do so now.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Jones Point Lighthouse... #186515 08/11/09 03:21 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
Paul,
Does the thumbnail that you show in the first post of this string have a name and number? I recently received it together with the 2009 Christmas piece but don't know what it is.

I pulled the trigger to quick on this question. I just found out it is Duxbury Pier. Now all I need is the HL number of it.

Jim

Re: Jones Point Lighthouse... #186516 08/11/09 04:10 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I imagine it is HL804TH Duxbury, MA since that is how they have been numbering the last few. HL804 is the full size Limited Edition. The TH for thumbnail..

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,063 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users