Next Thread
Print Thread
Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185653 04/21/05 04:33 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi gang!

This has got to be one of THE best lighthousing trips I have ever done. It has been incredible weather out here in the Pacific Northwest the last few days. I sure can't wait to share my images when I get home!

Bad news is, I have to scratch Olympic National Park. The major things I wanted to do are still closed for the season due to the snow in upper elevations the last few weeks. Hurricane Ridge has been closed in Port Angeles and I just did not have the energy to get out to Cape Flattery this time around, so I decided to concentrate on the Puget Sound lights.

Sunday, we went up to Mount Rainier - couldn't get all the way to Paradise due to snow, but got to about 4500 foot elevation and managed to hit two waterfalls encased in snow. They sure were pretty. Monday, I spent with friends of mine that live in Seattle and we went hiking about a mile into the woods to yet another gorgeous waterfall, and also went through Snoqualmie Pass and the waterfall there nearby.

Tuesday, I hit major lighthouses. Managed to get to Point Robinson with a passing freighter to boot, Point-no-Point, Point Wilson, Admirality Head (from the water on the ferry and 15 minutes before sunset with INCREDIBLE light), and Mulkiteo (about 45 minutes after sunset). Today, we went to San Juan Island, and hit Lime Kiln (with another passing freighter) and Cattle Point. Had to cancel the plane ride; just didn't have enough time. Tomorrow and Friday we are heading to the Oregon coastline. Plannng on hitting downtown Seattle lights on Saturday and hopefully Dofflemeyer Point in Olympia Sunday, and then we come home Monday.

Tammy, I can see why you vacation in San Juan area every year. INCREDIBLE. I must have taken 50 shots just on the ferry ride out. You guys that went on the Isle Royale trip last year think Isle Royale was pretty? Get yourself to San Juan Islands. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

It's been sunny and 60 since Sunday. smile

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185654 04/21/05 11:25 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Like many of our fellow CF members, I'm sure looking forward to your pictures from this trip.

smile Bob smile

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185655 04/22/05 09:56 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Jen, Glad you are having a great time. I knew you were coming so order the nice weather [lol] -- Darlene

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185656 04/23/05 03:20 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hey Darlene! I've been meaning to call you, but haven't had a chance. I've been gone every day since last Saturday from 7am to 10pm. I'm so sorry I'm not going to get a chance to hook up with you. I will definitely be back out here though...need to hit ONP and Columbia River Gorge, along with Mount St. Helens, all that got missed this trip.

Man, is Oregon PRETTY!!! More to come...

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185657 04/23/05 12:39 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jen - Glad to hear you're having fun. Although, I must say, I'm going into "Photos from Jen Remission"! Of course, when you get back, I'm going to need an entire afternoon to see them all. laugh

Hope the rest of your trip is great! smile

_Greg

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185658 04/23/05 02:07 PM
Don M Offline
Jen,
If you go to see Heceta Head, take a couple of hours and visit the Seal Caves which are relatively close to Heceta Head. They are amazing.

Don M
Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185659 04/23/05 02:31 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hey Don! We did hit Heceta Head - got a SPECTACULAR sunset. The lighting was incredible. We went back to hit the Sea Lion Caves the next morning and the whole coast was shrouded in fog, and really couldn't see anything down below, so we decided to make a stop at Cape Perpetua for the view instead - managed to get above the fogbank WOW-EE! I got lots to fill everyone in on - needless to say, it's been one HECK of a trip!

Greg, I will take care of your remission iearly next week... smile

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185660 04/24/05 01:09 AM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Jen,

I'm happy to hear that you're having a great time and that the weather is nice. Did I hear that there was a chance of snow in Michigan today? After 3 nice weekends with warmer than average temps, we had to endure a cold and windy day.

You're sure getting around. I think you've seen more of Washington and Oregon than I have the past 8 years. Maybe it's because we like to spend a lot of time relaxing during our stay.

Since we are going on an Alaskan Cruise in June, we have to pass on our annual trip to the San Juan Islands. I tried to figure out how to do both, but we have a family trip to Florida in October. But we're going to stay in Vancouver for 3 days following our cruise, and I'm sure it's just as beautiful there.

Anyway, I can't wait to see your photos!!!

Tammy

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185661 04/24/05 10:10 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Hi Jen,

You have expounded on all the reasons I make as many trips a year to the Pacific Northwest as I do. I do believe that my mother was on the wrong coast when she gave birth to me.

I too have always encountered good weather on my trips and even when it is raining WA state is lovely. Most forum folks know how I feel about Heceta Head. Staying there at least once a year is a must and climbing to the light at night is spectacular. This March we got to climb the lighthouse when we went up during our stay. Will be back there in mid July. My 91 year old mother is going to go for the first time. Also experiencing that area during low tide is unbelievable.

Ditto comments about the San Juan Islands. Having been there last year and going on some of the islands that have those remote lights was a dream trip. In July, the landscape is beautiful and worth the planning and going on a trip.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what you are experiencing. I can understand going from dawn to dusk...it is worth the lost sleep.

We will all be glad when you post your photos.
Derith

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185662 04/26/05 04:43 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Whew! I'm HOME! Long day of travel but I made it home ok. Got 20 CD's of digital photos to sift through and dump to the hard drive and convert from RAW. I will see what I can get posted tomorrow. I only shot one lousy roll of film the whole trip...the rest was all digital!

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/20/05 #185663 04/26/05 10:37 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome home! So glad all went well for you on the trip. We are anxious to see what you've shot, but we'll be patient while you recover. Take your time.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,316 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users