cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Low-end tripods #185610 06/02/02 11:40 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
I need to buy a tripod in the next week or so for our upcoming vacation. I'm a fairly cheap individual, so I'm looking to spend $50 or less.

Is there anything I should look for or any particular brand and model I should consider, or are they all pretty much the same in that price range? I know that I want the quick release head and maybe the built in level. Should I be too concerned with getting the tallest I can get? Which ones are known to be the sturdiest?
Any other advice?

Re: Low-end tripods #185611 06/02/02 01:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Larry, I'm decidedly the wrong person to advise you on a brand for an inexpensive tripod... the ones I use are toward the opposite end of the $$$ spectrum. Features you want, however, I can give you some advice on. Independantly adjustable - in terms of orientation, not length - legs are a decided plus if you're on uneven ground. You'd also like the equivalent of a pan/tilt head - that is one that gives you control in 3 directions -right/left, up/down angle, and the ability to rotation the camera body by 90 degrees. A level is also a plus, but you can also get a level for about $10-20 that fits in the hot shoe of your camera as an alterantive. Some people that I know have used Slik tripods and have generally been happy with them but I have zero experience with them.

Hope that this helps some.

Gary

Re: Low-end tripods #185612 06/02/02 08:10 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You must consider a very important thing when purchasing a tripod (besides the retail price). What's it worth to you to see your camera on the ground severely damaged?

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find. Purchase the best buy instead. You get what you pay for.

Bob

Re: Low-end tripods #185613 06/02/02 10:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob makes a good point, Larry. Less expensive tripods are also generally much lighter weight and hence less stable, particularly in the wind. Personally, although they're less fun to carry, I usually opt for relatively heavy tripods for stability when I'm shooting with my bigger lenses. As an example, the Nikkor 500 mm f4 lens that I use weighs 17#, NOT counting the weight of the camera body and I want a pretty hefty tripod to carry that sort of load safely.

Gary

Re: Low-end tripods #185614 06/03/02 01:02 AM
Handyman Offline
Larry-

Check out Walmart. I bought a "Velbon 7000" when I decided needed a tripod in a hurry a couple of years ago. It was about $25 so I have pretty much considered it disposable, and treated it that way, but it has endured the abuse well. It has a pan-tilt head, a quick release, a platform that rotates 90 degrees and a level bubble. As others have mentioned it is very light and thus not super-stable, but for fair weather shooting it works just fine.

Re: Low-end tripods #185615 06/03/02 03:58 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
If you pick up a lightweight tripod, try not to extend it too high. It'll be a little more stable if you sit on a folding chair, and keep it lower to the ground vs standing up. Good luck and stay away from the high winds.
Rod Watson

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-03-2002).]

Re: Low-end tripods #185616 06/05/02 10:06 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Let me advise you on one thing about tripods. If your traveling by plane, it may be considered a weapon. I saw several people carry on tripods, and although they got on, they were all delayed. I had a mini tripod in my carry on and it always reflagged the xray stuff. I had digital cameras, recharging stuff, etc but they were always interested in my mini tripod. Even though I had it in it's clear plastic carrying case, marked with what it was, they had to take it out and check it. Just a note so your not surprised. I expected to get checked for my cameras, flashlight, radio, batteries, lead bag for film, etc but the tripod won for most interest.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Low-end tripods #185617 06/06/02 10:16 PM
pierhead Offline
For what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend buying a Slik. I have one, and it does the trick (on nice days), but I'm not overly happy with it. Sometime in the near future, I think I'll be purchasing a nicer/more expensive tripod. A few years ago, I was in Pensacola, and decided to take some shots of the lighthouse after dusk. I was using my Pentax ZX-10 with a 200mm lens. There was a very slight breeze, and the Slik tripod just wasn't sturdy enough to keep the "wiggle" out. Granted, I'm not an expert on low light photography, but a better tripod would have given my pictures more quality.

Re: Low-end tripods #185618 06/06/02 10:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Pierhead,

Good feedback on the Slik. I do a lot of low light photography and have two Bogen tripods that weigh about 12 pounds each not counting the tripod heads. I have an older 3221 and a newer 3021 Pro. Personally, I prefer pan/tilt heads and have a 3049 and a 3037 (the latter being the better of the two!). Both work well in windy conditions because of their weight and I'd recommend them highly when you decide to go to a better tripod. I also use them extensively in low light conditions, which is when I do most of my lighthouse photography. Feel free to e-mail me or catch me on the chat on the forum one of these evenings if you want to talk about them or have any questions.

Gary

Re: Low-end tripods #185619 06/06/02 10:34 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
So, if I read correctly, the recommendation is, "Don't buy a low-end tripod".

At this time I don't plan on doing low light and I'm HOPING it's not too windy where ever I go. I was mainly looking for something for our trip to Disney. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a couple of nights, with a balconey over the savannah. I'm just looking to set up a tripod, sit in a chair and take wild animal pictures.

I guess if I spend $30-$40 and I end up unhappy, I'll just sell it at a yard sale. So I think I'll go to Target or Walmart and buy whatever seems the sturdiest.

Thanks for all of the input.

Re: Low-end tripods #185620 06/16/02 04:58 AM
Handyman Offline
Well after a few weeks of stalling, I finally bit the bullet and got a better tripod myself. I opted for a Bogen 3021 with a Bogen 3047 head. A brief review:

The 3021 legs are independantly adjustable with several stops before folding flat to 90 degrees for ground level shooting. There is an adapter plate at the bottom of the center column so that it can be removed for folding the legs to 90 degrees. The legs are locked using flip locks instead of twist locks which is advantageous around the sand- I image a screw lock would sooner or later succumb to having much sand ground in its threads. One caution I did read somewhere is that one should be careful about fully spreading the legs and jammming them into sand or snow. This forces the legs further apart and can exert tremendous leverage, damaging the unit. So leave a little slack when "digging" a tripod into the ground. The unit is heavy and stable, and should handle most ocean breezes well.

The 3047 head is also rock solid. It is easily adjusted with large grip controls- maybe even a little too large, but I guess they would be perfect if gloves or mittens were needed. I find that the head locks solidly in any postiion needed. There is a quick release plate which additionally positively locks in place.

In brief, this thing is probably a little too heavy to drag miles into the back country, but in terms of stability with a 35mm system in a stiff breeze it seems ideal. It is only rated to around 13-14 pounds, so use caution with super zooms...

Re: Low-end tripods #185621 06/16/02 04:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats on the choice of a Bogen 3021/3047 combo; an excellent choice. I've used a paired 3221/3047 for years and it has withstood the rigors of me dragging it across the country probably several dozen times in a large gear duffel as checked airline baggage! Despite the weight, I do haul it into the back country when I want to. But, compared to my photo backpack (~65 pounds) the weight of the tripod is more or less inconsequential. Then again, I'm not a lightweight either myself, so, I suppose it's all relative! You might want to get the carry strap for it if you haven't. That works well and makes carrying it a lot more convenient. Mine has survived being used here along the Great Lakes in full blown gales, being set up on the beach and actually set up in the Atlantic Ocean to photograph Cape Hatteras a few years before the move. It's good to periodically disassemble it to get the sand out if you use it on the beach or other dusty conditions. I think you'll be very happy with what you bought, Chris.

Gary

Re: Low-end tripods #185622 06/16/02 09:20 PM
Handyman Offline
Thanks for the endorsement, Gary- I am prety happy with the set as well. As to being heavy, you are talking to a guy that used to cut the handle off his toothbrush to save weight backpacking!

Re: Low-end tripods #185623 06/16/02 11:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Chris, that was coming from a guy who weighs 280# and used to be a competitive weightlifter and doesn't much care about carrying another 10 or 12 pounds!

Gary

Re: Low-end tripods #185624 06/17/02 02:02 PM
Handyman Offline
Shoot Gary, next time I go hiking I'm bringing you! I could probably just sit on top of your pack and take pictures while you walk! LOL How's that weather in Michigan? I still don't have my travel plans set in stone, but I'm headed to South Haven around July 13-21st.

Re: Low-end tripods #185625 06/22/02 11:28 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Gary is also 6'3"!

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: Low-end tripods #185626 06/23/02 12:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's the weather forecast for next week, Chris..... ready?????

HHH

Hazy

Hot

Humid

Gary

Re: Low-end tripods #185627 06/24/02 08:19 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
The day before I left for vacation, I went to Target and bought a Hakuba (Velbon) S-4500 for $24.88. Long telescoping legs, tilt/pan quick release head, bubble level...it seemed sturdy.

Two days later, when I opened up the legs to take photos of Cockspur Island lighthouse, one of the telescoping legs just kept on coming out....right off the tripod!!!!

Luckily, I still have the box. Now I just need to find the receipt.

You all tried to warn me, but did I listen?

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY CHEAP TRIPODS

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,150 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users