cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida vacation #185322 08/08/06 11:36 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's pics from my vacation to Florida, they're divided into categories, I'll add more later.
Lighthouses
These are all resized and I'm sorry that they are all not the same size, many were taken distantly and I cropped them instead of resizing.
Alligator Reef
These two views are from the private beach of the beach house we stayed in (Karapan on this page: http://www.trecorentals.com/properties_islamorada.cfm )

Taken when the cloudy weather provided a very clear view of the lighthouse

The normal view
Biloxi
We stopped in Biloxi, MS on our way to Florida and I had to visit the lighthouse

The lighthouse is still closed and the doorway is boarded over

An American Flag hangs from the gallery and the lighthouse has a 5th Order Fresnel Lens
Carysfort Reef

Distant view from Glass Bottom Boat tour of Molasses Reef
Hen & Chickens Shoal
You could barely make it out from the house, it's 7 miles northeast of Alligator Reef. With Binoculars it looked like a black stick but it's the right structure. I circled it so you could see it

Key West
I climbed the Key West Lighthouse (more pics later in a separate thread) while in Key West, this view came from the back porch of the Keepers House

Molasses Reef
This view came from the glass bottom boat tour I saw Carysfort Reef from

This view came from the glass bottom boat tour I saw Carysfort Reef from

Re: Florida vacation #185323 08/08/06 11:38 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
Lighthouses cont.
Key Largo
This view came from the same tour as it was leaving the marina. This lighthouse was privately built and features the lantern room from the former Rebecca Shoal Lighthouse.

Pacific Reef Lantern Room
The lantern room from the Pacific Reef lighthouse is a prominent feature of Islamorada's Founders Park.

Sand Key
This view is from the gallery of the Key West Lighthouse

Sombrero Key
Sorry for the blur, it was taken through a car window traveling down the 7 Mile Bridge. I circled the lighthouse.

Re: Florida vacation #185324 08/08/06 11:40 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
Highlights
These are some photographs that I took that I feel are some of the best

This is a view of the beach that was actually part of the house being built next door.

This is some birds walking the beach looking for food. I accidently left my camera on the setting for incandescent light when I took this picture which resulted in a blue tint. I liked the look of it so I kept the picture.

This was taken at the Key West Butterfly Conservatory, it's a Blue Morpho

This is the house we stayed in at night with the lights on (some were burnt out). This is the back facing the beach.

This is the sunset at Key West

This is a Fish Pond outside a restaraunt we ate at.

This was taken from the tour of Molasses Reef. The water was so clear & beautiful it seemed to be glowing.

More soon

Re: Florida vacation #185325 08/09/06 12:52 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Zachary,

Enjoyed your pictures, too bad about some of the haze. A number of these lights, I have never seen pictures of before. Thanks for sharing and post some more!

Melody
Re: Florida vacation #185326 08/09/06 09:29 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Zachary, sounds like a great trip.

For those who don't know Hen and Chickens was one of eight light towers, that were about 50 feet high and built on the reefs just like the other reef lights, but were automated from the beginning. They even had lantern rooms, ventilation ball and lightening rod, unforunately the coast guard has removed all put the one on, which is Tennessee Reef (some where I have pictures of that one). If you click this address and scroll down, we can see a close up shot of Hen and Chickens and a historical picture of Tennessee Reef: http://www.unc.edu/%7Erowlett/lighthouse/types/floridakeys.htm

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida vacation #185327 08/09/06 12:06 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
Eric, thanks for explaining Hen & Chickens Shoal, Molasses Reef & Pacific Reef both are the same classification as well, Molasses Reef isn't active as a light anymore, it serves as a weather station for NOAA.
If you find those pics of Tennessee Reef, I'd love to see them, I've been looking all over for a current photo.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,203 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users