cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184103 04/21/05 03:01 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
Its been a while since I posted around here.

I was in Rochester, NY to shoot a lacrosse game and convinced my dear wife to go lighthousing. I had a much longer trip planned but she wanted to go to Niagra Falls... again.

So here are a couple of shots...

Grand Island Lighthouse

This is a private yacht club, but the people were very friendly and gave me permission enter the property and photograph the light.

Island Street Lighthouse

This is a private boatyard, the people were NOT friendly and did not give me permission to enter the property. These were taken through the rought iron fence. My wife was not pleased, it was too much like being paparazzi for her.

There are a few more on my site, you know where it is.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184104 04/21/05 04:14 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice pics, Joe! I hadn't seen those two before.

smile Bob smile

Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184105 04/21/05 04:21 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It looks like it was a beautiful day for shooting lighthouse pics. It's too bad some people can't be more accomodating just to take a quick photo.

They both look to be in good condition. It's always nice to see lighthouses I haven't seen before.

Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184106 04/21/05 06:38 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Like your pictures Joe...

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184107 04/21/05 07:20 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
It looks like it was a beautiful day for shooting lighthouse pics. It's too bad some people can't be more accomodating just to take a quick photo.

They both look to be in good condition. It's always nice to see lighthouses I haven't seen before.
Lorie,

Two things to consider- you might think differently if it was your place that people wanted to just take a couple of pictures of and were walking through it all the time to do so.

I'm willing to bet that the reason they are not so pleasant is that people in the past have abused the privelige or didn't bother to ask before they traipsed around on the property.

Just some thoughts from the other side- so to speak. We had a side yard when I was a kid that everybody in the neighborhood thought they sould walk through anytime they wanted to- even after a fence was put up. They just climbed over the fence and broke it to get where they wanted to get.

Dennis

Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184108 04/22/05 02:25 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
[b] It looks like it was a beautiful day for shooting lighthouse pics. It's too bad some people can't be more accomodating just to take a quick photo.

Lorie,

Two things to consider- you might think differently if it was your place that people wanted to just take a couple of pictures of and were walking through it all the time to do so.

I'm willing to bet that the reason they are not so pleasant is that people in the past have abused the privelige or didn't bother to ask before they traipsed around on the property.

Just some thoughts from the other side- so to speak. We had a side yard when I was a kid that everybody in the neighborhood thought they sould walk through anytime they wanted to- even after a fence was put up. They just climbed over the fence and broke it to get where they wanted to get.

Dennis [/b]
Sorry to disagree with you Dennis but if you buy a Lighthouse you should expect the love for it. Why the heck would you buy one if you didn't want the attention? "It's mine and I'm not sharing!" mentality.
Slightly different than cutting through your yard.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184109 04/22/05 09:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
According to the Lighthouse Depot Lighthouse Explorer Database, the Island Street Lighthouse is not operational, is privately owned, a private club and was built in 1998.

So it seems they have every right to keep out anyone they wish. Probably get a lot of requests from people like us. If we were better informed going in, we could approach the situation differently -- or just sic the Lighthouse Pixie on the situation. She'll have the club owner on the phone and he'll be beggin' us all to come climb the tower! smile

Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184110 04/22/05 10:34 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
The Grand Island Lighthouse is still looking good. When we were there some years back no one was around. I.O. as usual had to use a restroom so we went inside the building to see if it was possible. Still no one around so he used the facilities while I stood guard. Finally a woman came down the stairs, gave me a big smile and said, "Hi". So that was that.

We didn't look for the Island Street Lighthouse. It would seem that any one or any organization who builds such a structure should anticipate the curious and "lighthouse people". No reason to be unfriendly. A simple, "I'm sorry but the club is private and I can't let you on the grounds. If you're looking for a photograph of the lighthouse I think you'll find an acceptable view from right over there." or some such words would fit the situation. Gee that sounds pretty good. Now if I owned a lighthouse I could used to saying that!

Nice photos as usual Joe!

Re: Grand Island and Island Street Lighthouses, NY #184111 04/23/05 12:53 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Nice photos, Joe! Grand Island is a very photogenic light...always makes a great shot.

When we visited Grand Island last year, we just drove in, parked the Rover, and photographed. Someone came into the parking lot the same time as us, looked at us, nodded a hello, and went on her way.

We didn't ask anyone, we just stopped and photographed. Nobody cared. Maybe they're just used to lighthousers.

I didn't know about the Island Street Light, although being built in 1998, it might not have been in my books. I did, however, get my faux light in the Sturgeon Point Light, which I can't figure the reason for it being in my book, although we did discover this great Frank Lloyd Wright house because we went to it.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,688 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users