Print Thread
question for Hanifich #184049 06/08/02 01:21 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
B
Chris, hadn't seen a post about how the slides turned out- care to fill us in? Waiting to hear about it!

Bud

Bud
Re: question for Hanifich #184050 06/08/02 10:16 PM
Handyman Offline
Hi Bud!

I'm still kinda waiting to see myself. I shot a roll of Velvia 50 at sunrise at Sandy Hook, and the slides really blew me away. The subtle color rendition of the sky is remarkable, and boy are the images sharp. And it was nice to find out that my camera's (N80) exposure meter seems to be right where I want it. I also just shot a roll of Provia 100. It should be back next week.

I dropped some of the first slides in to have prints made. For me, that will be the true test of whether a switch is worthwhile, because prints are what I am really after. The first thing the guy said when I dropped them off was, "You know, these won't look exactly like your slides...". I figure they should come out halfway decent, though- all those nifty pictures in magazines are made from slides, aren't they? I guess when they go to the lab, you fall into the same trap as printing from negatives- someone else has the chance to meddle with your intended exposure. I'll let you know for sure next week...

Chris

[This message has been edited by Hanifich (edited 06-08-2002).]

Re: question for Hanifich #184051 06/08/02 10:28 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
B
Chris, I'm VERY satisfied with how my prints from slides come out. If my slide is good, my prints are also. I did an 8X10 of the local High School doomed for demolation for a class reunion, it turned out nice. Good luck! I think you will be happy.

Bud

Bud
Re: question for Hanifich #184052 06/08/02 10:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris,

There is no reason why a print from a slide shouldn't capture what you did on the slide. If it doesn't, I suspect that the facult isn't with your slide or the process but rather the operator. They have an absolutely accurate guide to go from with your slide and there is no reason for them not to be able to precisely reproduce it given operator intervention and one who knows what he/she is doing. If they're being done on a machine, you'll get the compromise that the software in the machine imposes. You might want to ask if they offer hand-done or custom prints from slides. If they don't, you might want to shop around for somewhere that does if you're really after something special. Typically, you may have to go to a professional photographic operation to get that level of service, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Gary

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,150 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users