Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179505 06/03/04 07:36 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm looking at replacing my three year old Fuji Finepix 2600 with a new camera in the near future. Looking at a Canon flyer in the paper last week, I think I found something good.

Canon has just put out a 10x zoom image stabilized camera. What I have right how is 3X zoom, and takes acceptable pics of offshore lights. This has 10x zoom, the equivalent of I think a 38-380mm 35mm lens, and the IS so that you take pictures of offshore lighthouses instead of offshore jello molds. I can find it online for a little over $400 at a retailer that, ironically, has a store right by me. I priced the camera and a 512MB CF card at about $500.

I don't want to get an SLR, as it is out of my price range by now. I want to wait some years before I get a pro system, as I don't want to spend thousands now on something that I'll be stuck with, even when I can get something better when I really need it. But I also don't want to get another basic point and shoot. This looks like the perfect hybrid.

The only disadvantage I can see to it is that it is only 3.2 MP. However, the fact that you don't need to crop and enlarge as much to get the part of the photo you really need makes that not matter. Besides, I don't make huge prints of my photos, anyway.

I think that the big zoom and IS could make this a good camera for me, a person who takes one or two major lighthouse trips a year where I photograph lights offshore one half to two miles away. The fact that I get photos three and a half times closer than what I have now is a major plus to me. I think it could be my find...

Let me know what you think. This would be a major investment, and I want to do it right. smile

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179506 06/03/04 08:38 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Greg,

Here is a very extensive review on the camera you are inquiring about (it's LONG!):
Canon Powershot S1

And another review by a user:

Steve\'s Digicams Canon S1 Review

It appears to be a decent camera. Loaded with features and looks like the glass of the lens is decent too. The only thing that gets me on hesitation is the 3.2MP. If you will never print anything over 8x10 in size, this camera is fine. If you want to print an 11x14, you need to go higher in megapixels. With the way digital technology is advancing, a 3.2 is going to be outdated very quickly.

If you are willing to spend a LITTLE more money, the Nikon Coolpix 5700 is an outstanding camera. Almost the same optical zoom, 8x, and it is a 5mp camera. Butterflyphoto.com currently has it for $475 (I have purchased from them twice with no problems). It was an $1100 camera when it came out two years ago. I owned this camera for four months before I upgraded and was nothing but pleased with it. 11x14 enlargements? No problem. 16x20? Most likely. You can read more about the Nikon here:

Steve\'s Digicams Nikon CP5700 Review
Another Nikon CP5700 Review

I will forewarn you: This camera is loaded with features. You will need to sit down and read the book that comes with it, and most likely refer back to it periodically. The menu system is pretty in-depth but once you get to know the camera, it will become second nature.

I hope this helps. If you want to see some samples of photos I have taken with the Nikon, let me know and I will upload some.

On the note of the Compact Flash Card, you can get a 256 for around $40 and a 512 for around $80. I shoot 256's because if per chance the card ever took a dump and quit, at least I wouldn't lose all my images. Check out My Digital Discount for accessories. Don't order them with the camera; that's how online retailers make all their money.

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179507 06/03/04 09:41 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Since my Olympus C-700 croaked last year I have been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-1. While only 2.1 MP, the camera has 12x optical zoom, a 2.8 lens and built in image stabilization. I use it mostly for pictures I am going to post or for smaller printed pictures. I have enlarged to 8x10, and the output was excellent. To give you an idea of how handy the 12x IS capability is, this weekend I was able to shoot a picture of 2 lights - one 11+ miles away, the other 12+ miles away. While these are pictures that will not be printed out, they were more than adequate for me to be able to ID the two lights - and that ain't bad.

Panasonic does have a newer version of the camera, with more options and a 4MP capability. Since I am more of a photography hacker than one who wants to make large prints, the little Panasonic is just fine for me until it croaks. Not that I wouldn't like one of the new Nikon D-70s if someone wants to buy me one. . . . . . .

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179508 06/03/04 09:51 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Hmmmm...the Nikon looks nice, but I do have one major peeve. It looks like it uses proprietary batteries. That means that you have to buy quite a few for a long LHing trip, and have to charge them overnight. The thing I really like about the Canon is that it uses AAs. I know I can always have them on hand. I don't really need many MPs, as I don't print my photos, just email them and use them on my computer. If I get a photo printer, I probably won't print big prints. So I'd rather go with the big zoom than big MPs. But thanks for the reccomendation!

I did get some good tips out of your comments, though. I will definitely get 256 cards instead of 512s, and seeing as Butterfly has the S1 IS for $396, and you say they are reputable, then I can get it from there.

I'm looking at CF cards on Digital Discount...anyone have brand reccomendations? Also, does the speed really matter for someone who never takes movies or consecutive shots? Or can I go with whatever's cheapest?

Thanks for the tips, Jen! laugh

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179509 06/03/04 09:58 PM
Larry Offline
Propietary batteries aren't so bad, as long as you bring your charger along (and make sure you don't leave it behind in a hotel room with the proprietary battery, like someone I've known my ENTIRE life did in Disney World :rolleyes: ). Buy a second battery and keep it charged. Even if you go AA, you will want to use rechargables, and you'll need to bring the charger along any way.

My mother-in-law has the 5700. It's pretty nice.

Buy.com has rebates on Viking compact flash cards during the month of June. After rebate: 128mb=$10, 256mb=$25, 512mb=$58, 1gb=$115 eek

A new customer gets $10 off an order of $150 or more with this offer:

http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=85634947&dcaid=1688

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179510 06/03/04 10:07 PM
Jake Offline
I agree about the AA batteries. They generally recommend you get rechargables because of the longer life, so you're toting along a charger to charge at night anyway. If anything, the other battery is easier because you don't have to make sure you have all of the batteries together (fumbling about with 8 rechargable AAs got sorta old, quite honestly). It's well worth having one in the camera and the other as a back-up. Hope that helps! laugh

Jakers
Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179511 06/03/04 10:27 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Greg, the lithium-ion batteries that the Nikon takes you can also get I believe through My Digital Discount. They are $10 each for the third party brand. I would think one or two extra would do you just fine. I have four extra and I have never, never used all four in one day. They last SO much longer than AA batteries. You really don't want a digicam, especially one with the longer zoom, with AA batteries because it will eat through them faster than you can chew a piece of gum and the flavor's gone!

I would stick with the name brand cards. I am shooting Kingston, Viking, and SanDisk Ultra II's. The speed does make a difference in write time if you want to shoot something fast action. The shutter lag is usually pretty bad with all digicams and the faster card you have, the better it will be. The Sandisk Ultra II's I shoot with are 60x cards. The 256MB runs $54.99 each through MDD.

Larry, thanks for the heads up on those rebates on Viking cards!!

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179512 06/03/04 10:34 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Ability to use common batteries is nice, and is one of the reasons I liked my Olympus. You will, however, have to buy at least 2 sets of NiMH rechargeables at about $10-12 per set. You will also want a good recharger unit. Read the specs - most are overnight chargers, some as long as 17 hours. For about $30 you can buy a quick charger - I have a Rayovac unit that charges AA/AAA in an hour, and will operate on AC or DC. In other words, you can charge batteries in the car or in the hotel room as long as you remember both cords.

And, as I believe Stephen was alluding to, keep the sets of batteries separate. Keep them together as sets so they all get charged at the same time every time. I have small plastic bags that I keep sets of 4 in. Top up if charged, top down if discharged. ALWAYS have a spare set in your pocket along with another memory card. When a NiMH battery runs out of gas you get no warning, it just happens. You will learn how many shots you get on a set of batteries, so you can get an idea of how much is left.

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179513 06/03/04 10:51 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I keep my sets of batteries in the package that they cam in. Put them in, wrap them with a rubber band, and your in business.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179514 06/04/04 03:38 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The Nikon 5700 uses Nikon's EN-EL1 battery. There are a couple of 3rd party versions of these batteries for about $25-$35 each. (Same batteries used by the now obsolete 4500, 995, 990 and previous models.)

You can also use a photo battery (non-rechargeable) Ray-O-Vac 223 Lithium and others. It's not as cheap as a AA, but is available at places like Wal-Mart and probably Walgreens so if your battery and spare die, you can cover yourself in a pinch.

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179515 06/04/04 10:16 AM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
Seagirt,

Don't sweat the proprietary batteries for the D70. The Nikon batteries for the D100 and D70 are excellent. My D100 gets 400-500 shots per charge. The D70 is suppose to be equal to that. At about $30-40 each, a spare would take you a long way. They only take about 3 hours to recharge. As for AA's, avoid them. You will get very few shots before they are dead. If you are still looking at the D70, it comes with an adapter that allows the use of (3)C123 batteries in a pinch.

As for Digital Discount, I have gone through them before. Good people. Take a look at the RiData CF cards. I have 2 (256M & 1Gig 40x). They are fast and reliable.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179516 06/27/04 09:30 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well, I decided to buy the S1 IS. Actually, I recieved it as a graduation gift, but I got it. And I LOVE it. The camera is a perfect blend of SLR and P&S for me. The zoom is amazing. I did a test by standing at the top of my driveway and pointing the camera down the street. I took a picture at no zoom and 10 zoom. WOW. This one's a keeper.

I'm going to see how it lighthouses today on our sailing trip (see the Map Room). The reason I got this one instead of a lesser zoom one was to take pictures of faraway lights. If my around the house testing is any indicator, it's going to excel. smile

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179517 07/06/04 04:58 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Greg,

I'm sure you'll love the camera. I've bought a Canon digital camera about 2 years ago .... the Power Shot Pro 90IS ... a 2.6 Mp camera with a 10X optical zoom and a 4X digital zoom. The zoom has permitted me to get some very acceptable photos of lights that were quite a way out there. I have noticed sometimes however that the auto focus dithers somewhat when attempting to shoot a small object from quite a distance when there in not a lot of contrast in the scene. frown

Recently my camera zonked out while up in Wisconsin for the Door County Lighthouse Walk weekend. The camera was giving me an E19 error message. The manual didn't indicate what the error message was that the camera would have to be returned to Canon for repair. I contacted Canon and they indicated that the E19 error was indicative of a "Lens Error" and that I'd have to send it in for an evaluation and estimate. It took two weeks to get the written estimate back from the Illinois Service Center. It provided no detail what went wrong and what would have to be fixed and indicated that the cost would be $180. I called the repair facility to get the info on what needed to be fixed and was informed that they hadn't checked the camera and were using a standardized pricing scheme, although their written estimate had some language in it to allow charging additional money if any more substantial repair work was required. That kinda ticked me off .... I would suspect that if something minor were found and if the fix was really a minor thing they would not lower the bill but still charge the $180. Anyhow after ventilating a bit, I authorized the repairs to be made and awaiting the return of the camera and the bill. Will let you know how this all plays out.

Dan

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179518 07/06/04 07:39 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks, Elmer. This seems to be typical of large electonics companies with customer service. Hopefully it all works out. Keep me updated!

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179519 07/22/04 04:03 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Greg,

Got my camera back from Canon today and seems to be functioning OK now. Wasn't real impressed with their overall service .... communication was sorely lacking. I called and vented on them yesterday mad and low and behold the camera is repaired and next day shipped to me. Oh well, I got it back in time for our Lake Superior trip. The paperwork that accompanied the returned camera indicated the following Service Details ... "Replaced Optical, Mainboard, Top and LCD Cover, Adjusted and Updated-Firmware. #35". The $180 I paid was compromised of a $175 flat rate repair charge plus $5 shipping. With what they had to do, I don't know if I am a winner or a loser!!?? confused

Good Luck with your camera,

Dan

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179520 07/22/04 04:07 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dan, just make sure to bring your backup and LOTS of film! I still owe you a CD yet from the Wisconsin cruise, but I don't remember where your camera quit. Can you remind me and I will arrange one for you?

Re: Canon Powershot S1 IS... #179521 07/22/04 06:07 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dan,

I guess all that I can say is that I'm happy that you received your camera and that it appears to have been fixed. Winner or Loser? Who can say.

See you at Lake Superior.

Bob

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users