cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16549 10/07/99 04:22 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's my story. One of the first things I sought to do as a new Harbour Lights Collector was to get a collection.
So what do you go for - Christmas edition.
So I slowly located Colchester Reef, White Shoal and ordered my Old Field after September(Started collecting August 98). Now the search began for the elusive, expensive, hard to get, in-demand Big Bay Point.
Finally in July I was able to get BBP! It arrived,...I opened it, and wondered what all the fuss was about!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16550 10/07/99 06:32 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Bob, ... I like Big Bay Point and think it's a great piece. As a matter of fact I like all 200+ HLs I have. It's just that I like some more than others.

I remember saying at one time I was not overly excited about some of the older pieces like Cape Blanco as compared to newer HLs. One of our CF users advised me he loved Cape Blanco! I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not disappointed in any HL I own. They have a tendency to grow on you after a while. I'm sure you'll come to love your Big Bay Point in time.

Bob

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16551 10/07/99 07:20 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob,

If I had a least favorite HL lighthouse, it sure would NOT be Big Bay!

Just what don't you like about it?

Big Bay is sitting at number 5 on my chart of favorite Harbour Lights at this point in time.

Saint WackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16552 10/07/99 10:19 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
Bob - I agree with Paul about Big Bay. It is probably my favorite piece because of the intricacy of the detail and the charm of the setting. What is it that makes you feel it is just an ordinary piece?

Barb

Barb
Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16553 10/07/99 10:33 PM
W
whizkid3 Offline
W
Bob

I'm afraid I have to go with the majority with this one dude. Big Bay is definitely one of the best pieces put out by Harbour Lights. I especially like the little footprints in the snow, but the whole lighthouse has a very special eye catching appeal

Caio
Brian

------------------

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16554 10/07/99 11:15 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Keep in mind, Big Bay was pretty revolutionary when it came out - first Christmas, first snow - little extras like the footprints and the snowman.

It came out in the Fall of 1995 - meaning it got into production probably earlier in 1995. Take a look at other 1995 issues and compare the quality and detail to Big Bay.

Perhaps we're getting spoiled with the subsequent Christmas issues that we're unfairly comparing Big Bay with White Shoal and East Quoddy.

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16555 10/07/99 11:42 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
Favorites don't always have to be the prettiest, the brightest, or the most technically correct. Grosse Point was not special to us until Diane & I climbed its many (I think 142) steps. Now our favorites are those we've visited. Other than Grosse Point they are all in the Southeast so far. I'm sure other wackos have different criteria for choosing a favorite HL. No matter how they do it, they can't go wrong.

AB in Ala-Bam

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16556 10/08/99 12:17 AM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline
B
Hi all,

I think sometimes when buying a lighthouse on the secondary market,for alot more money then it origanlly sold,gets our expectations and hopes up.Especially for someone new just entering into the HL buying frenzy that we all go through.Every HL piece has some uniqueness to it,although they might not stand up to alot of the other pieces.Ask someone that doesn't know HL,and put your Cape Hatteras next to,well lets say mostly any piece..Old Field Point for example.Almost 10 out of 10 will say will say that OFP is much more expensive because of all the work that was put into it.My point is,the money aspect of it comes into play I think into alot of people's heads when first purchasing on the secondary market. Have a great day!

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16557 10/08/99 08:53 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey, you guys are really out there!
My main disappointment with BBP is the lump of paint on the roof depicting snow! I do love the wreaths over the doors, snowman, footsteps in the snow...I did get a great secondary price from another collector.
I wish you guys would respond to my Save Plum Island posting, as quick and with much zeal as you do defending the Holy Grail!
This was Only a test, you can now return to your normal collecting, and love of Harbour Lights! LOL
- Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 10-08-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16558 10/08/99 10:29 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Hey, you guys are really out there!

Hince the term Wacko, Bob!
Quote:
you can now return to your normal collecting, and love of Harbour Lights!

Never left, normal collecting and love of Harbour lights. In fact I believe the responses prove that, I know that mine does.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16559 10/08/99 10:51 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
For more on Christmas pieces...including a review of the new East Quoddy piece...check out the 'Latest Models' forum.

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16560 10/08/99 12:45 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I haven't had the opporunity to see a Big Bay in person yet, so I can't comment on it.

But, of all my pieces, I have to say I am least excited about Michigan City, IN. Sometimes I still wonder why I bought this one. It has no appeal to me but it's still part of the family and has it's place in the curio cabinet (Although it is in the bottom shelf in the corner.)

Joanne

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16561 10/08/99 02:47 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
How about the most disappointing HL that I DON'T own?

After visiting Pemaquid, ME this summer, I was really hoping to find the LE still available from a dealer. I'd only seen pictures of it.

Well, I found one at a dealer in Lewes, DE a couple weeks ago, and passed it up, mostly because of what I perceived as mediocre detailing, especially the cheesey sculpted-on fog bell. The fantastic rocks that the lighthouse sits on might have been better represented, as well.

I can't believe how many people have this on their top ten list. Was there a variation with a pewter bell, like the pewter railing said to be on some Scituate Lights? Or were my expectations just too high due to the AWESOME detailing on more recent HL's such as Tarrytown, Baltimore, and Seven-foot Knoll?

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't buy it sight unseen from the web.

Bruce

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16562 10/08/99 03:51 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I have to disagree with you, Bruce. I really like Pemaquid Point. It may not be in my top 10, but it is sure one of my favorites!

Bob

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16563 10/08/99 04:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Pemaquid, ME

If you had looked a little closer, you would have noticed that Pemaquid has a pewter railing around the lantern room. It is the first use of it on a railing as near as I can tell and maybe the first use of it period. I will attempt to found this out and will edit or change this post accordingly. Pemaquid along with Big Bay and then Thomas Point were probably the main transition lighthouses that have influenced how Harbour Lights makes them today.

I used to have my collection displayed by the date of issue for a while and it is easy to spot the one or two lighthouses each year, which raised the bar for quality. I now have them by region which I like better because it mixes (maybe blends is a better word) the earlier lighthouses with the new lighthouses.

I don't believe that it would be possible to capture the rocks of Pemaquid perfectly, without making the base of the Harbour Lights lighthouse 2 to 3 times as wide.

Saint WackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16564 10/08/99 06:56 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
St. Paul,

I saw the pewter railing on Pemaquid, but I sure wasn't aware that it was the first. My reference to the pewter on the Scituate piece was related to my understanding that some had it and some didn't. I thought (hoped?) perhaps that Pemaquid had come with two versions of the fog-bell.

Regarding the rocks, your point is well taken.

Looking back through the catalog, it's evident that HL really made a quantum leap in 1996. Those of us who first saw them then or later may be under-appreciative of the evolutionary progress. I, for one, have seen relatively few pre-1996 HL's "in person". When I see any in the future, I'll perhaps view them from a little more enlightened perspective. Gotta live up to my UserName.

Bruce

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16565 10/08/99 07:05 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I would have to say that the most disappointing HL that I own would have to be the LE of Marblehead, OH. It was a must have because it is within a 25 minute drive from our home and the 2nd HL we purchased. The GLOW is much closer to the actual lighthouse.

For those of you who have never seen it in person the view of Sandusky Bay, Kelley's Island, the sailboats, the rocks, trees and the keeper's house is simply beautiful.

Tom & Diane

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16566 10/08/99 08:50 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
My reference to the pewter on the Scituate piece was related to my understanding that some had it and some didn't.

The change on the lantern room railing came when Harbour Lights switched the production of Scituate from Malaysia to China. Besides HL166 Scituate the other lighthouses that were produced first in Malaysia and finished in China are:
HL155 Bald Head
HL160 Cape Meares
HL179 Toledo Harbor
HL186 Concord Point
HL191 Grand Traverse
HL502 Stonington Harbor

Saint WackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16567 10/08/99 08:50 PM
Len Ariagno Offline
I'll probably upset many people, but I view Hillsboro as a great disappointment. The finished product to me was too genric, too plain, with little or no appeal to substantiate the pre-issue hype (and price). Despite a higher number of total pieces made, I view Sanibel as being vastly superior in overall eye appeal and detail to Hillsboro. I had acquired two Hillsboros and sold one of them (at my cost)to another collector who I know was a happy recipient. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Len Ariagno

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16568 10/08/99 09:28 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hi Bruce,

Don't give up on Pemaquid yet. Give it another look or two.

A couple of times, I waited in anticipation for a piece, only to be disappointed in the difference between the design in my imagination and the piece. Then, looking at them a second or third time, I got to appreciate them for their own beauty.

Specifically - Alcatraz LE (now a favorite of mine), Jeffrey's Hook, and Mukilteo just to name a few.

But, it's going to take a lot of looking for me to appreciate Michigan City.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-09-99).]

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16569 10/08/99 10:23 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My most disappointing would have to be Cana Island. Simply because every time I look at it I remember that I chose it over Cape Hatteras (Mold #1) back in '92. Years later when I realized what I had done, it was too late!

Digger

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16570 10/09/99 12:09 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Now I love my Saugerties but sure wish it had a railing, any type of railing as it looks so naked without one. Especially since I was there leaning on it!

Mombo

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16571 10/09/99 03:16 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
My one the does the least for me, although I do like it, is Cockspur, I don't know why, it just kind of sits there, among my others and doesn't do or say anything!

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16572 10/09/99 03:47 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
youngone- in real life, Cockspur doesn't do much either- it just kind of "sits there". Because of that, it has become one of my favorites! We saw it this summer- it sits out in the water, all by itself, with only occasional visitors. The real beauty of this piece comes with the story! If you visit Ft. Pulaski and see the terrible destruction done by the Union forces and then realize that this could have happened to Cockspur, you will be totally amazed. There is no reason why this light should still be standing- I guess it was spared for all of us lighthouse nuts!

Chris G
Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16573 10/09/99 09:12 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Digger,
I know that has to hurt everytime you think about it, and Chris, I agree, I have seen Cockspur, and you really have to be their to appreciate this little guy. It is amazing that it is still standing! (Minus it's hat)!

Rusty

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16574 10/09/99 12:45 PM
W
whizkid3 Offline
W
I would have to say that unequivocally it is Coquille River. I had seen this piece in catalogues and other Harbour Lights paraphernalia and didn't see that it looked that bad, but when I purchased it and opened the box, I knew immediately that this was no masterpiece. If I do throw it out, I'll let everyone know which day my trash is picked up.

Caio
Brian

------------------

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16575 10/09/99 12:48 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
I'd like to second Joanne's point taking the second look and letting a piece "grow" on you. When I first saw Cape Canaveral, I thought it was far too complex; now it's one of my favorites. I also agree about Michigan City -- it looks like a chopped-off end of St. Joseph.

Donna

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16576 10/09/99 08:29 PM
Kaiz Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would have to say the most disappointing HL I own is Cape Meares, it happens to be the one I hit with a long floor duster handle that happened to get caught between my legs. So much for carefully putting my lighthouses out of harms way when cleaning their shelves. My heart sank when the tinkle of small chips hitting a wood floor pierced my Harbour Lights trained ears. Just one of tragic fatalities of HL collecting.

Re: What Is The Most Disappointing Harbour Lights That You Own? #16577 10/09/99 11:27 PM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Chris G,

Thanks for the history lesson on Cockspur. I'll have to read more about that!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,339 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users