Print Thread
Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin #178801 05/31/02 07:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bailey's Harbor has several lights. The range lights are readily viewed and consist of the new and old front range marker and light, respectively, and the old rear range light. This first photo was taken in the afternoon last October and you can see all three. Personally, I tend to think of the new one more as a marker because of the large red/white striped panel even though it has a plastic optic atop the panel.

The morning photo was taken last summer and you can't see the rear range light because it is in very deep shadow.

A closer view of the old rear range light, which is now a private dwelling, is shown below.

More interesting from my point of view is the Old Bailey's Harbor lighthouse with a birdcage lantern room dating from the 1850's if I remember correctly is is becoming exceedingly rare. From my checking, there are a total of 3 birdcage lantern rooms still in existence on the great lakes. Obviously, the Old Bailey's Harbor light is one of them. Another is located on the Waugoschance light west of Mackinac, which is also in ruins. The remaining example, still completely intact is on Lake Ontario in Selkirk, New York if I remember correctly.

The first photo was shot in the morning last summer at a 1400 mm focal length.

Last fall I shot this from the shore using a 500 mm lens.

The Old Bailey's Harbour light is definitely worth seeing and it would be especially nice if permission can be obtained for the group going lighthousing in Door County to see it from the grounds of the private residence where it is located.

Hope everyone enjoys these installments of the lights that are on the itinerary for next month.

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 05-31-2002).]

Re: Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin #178802 05/31/02 08:44 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
Nice pics Gary
Kathy & I need to get over on that side of Lake Mich

Larry

Larry
Re: Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin #178803 05/31/02 10:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Larry. I love going over to Door County to photograph the lights!

Gary

Re: Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin #178804 06/22/02 10:34 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Wow, Gary, there were actually a couple here that I haven't seen before!! Very good as usual.

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 840 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users