Next Thread
Print Thread
YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP IS NEEDED #158812 03/03/03 12:09 AM
P
penny1058 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
You can make a difference!!!!!

Avery Point Lighthouse located on the grounds of The Avery Point Campus of the University of CT; is the only lighthouse ever built in America as a memorial to the lighthouse keepers of yesteryear and is in imminent danger of collapsing. Chunks of the lighthouse are literally falling off daily.

Although nearly ninety percent of the funds have been raised to start the first phase of construction and save the lighthouse by the Avery Point Lighthouse Society, a chapter of American Lighthouse Foundation; because the lighthouse is located on the State grounds of a university, they will not allow restoration to begin on April 1st as was originally planned unless all the money is in the bank to pay the contractor in full. Avery Point, in Groton, CT is $48,000 short of the goal.

We believe that if restoration is not started now the lighthouse could collapse and we would lose the only lighthouse of its kind ever built in America. We are appealing to you to not let this happen.

The American Lighthouse Foundation has instituted the "A Buck for the Light" program to save Avery Point Lighthouse. If everyone who reads this would send a one-dollar bill, this lighthouse would be saved from being lost forever.

To learn more about the Avery Point Lighthouse go to Avery Point Lighthouse Society or email Penny @ apls1@snet.net

Send your one-dollar bill (or more smile ) today to the Avery Point Lighthouse Society P.O. Box 1552, Groton, CT 06340

We accept PayPal donations & Payments for merchandise via our website. Avery Point Lighthouse Society

Re: YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP IS NEEDED #158813 03/05/03 02:38 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just made my donation with Paypal and it was easy laugh . Come on folks, lets knok their socks off with our support. smile . A buck is cheap, especially for a light dedicated to past keepers.

Go for it laugh laugh laugh

Re: YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP IS NEEDED #158814 03/05/03 03:30 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I know Bodie Island is our special baby for this year, but maybe we could spare something for Avery Point also.

I sent a donation via Paypal. It's easy and it doesn't hurt too much.

Dennis

Re: YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP IS NEEDED #158815 03/05/03 08:02 PM
P
penny1058 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I don't want to sound greedy shocked but I wanted to let this group know that The Avery Point Lighthouse Society has also established a popular dedication walkway fundraising program called "Brick-"buy"-Brick You Can Help Save A Lighthouse". For $50.00 you can purchase a commemorative brick, which will become a permanent part of a scenic walkway at the lighthouse overlooking Long Island Sound. Each brick can be inscribed with three lines of up to 17 characters per line. All proceeds go towards the restoration of the tower.

I wanted to pass this on as I posted the original message on several forums and some have gone to our website and seen our "Brick Buy Brick" program that I mentioned above. Some of the groups have started a collection from the members of the board to purchase a brick in name of their board. I thought it was such a great idea I wanted to pass it on as a suggestion for this group as I would love to see this board represented with the rest of em in our walkway. I will even chip in wink if someone wants to collect the money. I already have 6 so why not a piece of another laugh

Trying to keep the Flame,
Penny

Re: YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP IS NEEDED #158816 03/06/03 02:48 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Those members who donated to the Bill O'Brien (oseabee) Memorial Fund have already purchased 2 bricks at Avery in honor of Bill. (doesn't mean you or your club can't buy more.)

Dave

Moderated by  Bob Ott, wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,228 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users