cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158406 08/02/04 03:18 PM
Roxie Offline OP
OP Offline
Ever wondered what is it about lighthouses that makes them the perfect subjects for Artists and Photographers alike? Have you wanted to polish your abilities to capture it's beauty on film or through other medias?

Learn how to capture the essence of the lighthouse for your very own. Through artistic interpretation and an architectural history lesson you will enjoy this very unique and educational event. Maine's Maritime Photographer - Michael Barry will be a presenter at the Symposium.

Mark your calendar for Saturday August 28, 2004 11:00 am to 4:00 pm... We will start the event in the Sebago room at the Sheraton, South Portland, Maine. After a multimedia introduction, we'll have lunch and journey over to Portland Head Lighthouse and the Portland Breakwater Lighthouse. We will also offer a special tour inside of the Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse ($5.00 donation to the museum) It's at the lighthouse where you will learn first hand about capturing it's beauty and interpreting it for your work.

Cost is $40.00 per person, and includes lunch and a special event souvenier. Proceeds to benefit the American Lighthouse Foundation. *** Directly to the Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse maintenance, the lighthouse needs paint and glass repair.Reservations Required - contact RoxieFFCC@aol.com or call 207-439-8905.

Reservations going quickly!

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158407 08/30/04 11:19 AM
Roxie Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow - I can't believe it was here and gone already! It was an awful lot of fun first of all, I must say. We had a total attendance of 15! (Doesn't seem like an awful lot, I know!) But it was actually nice to have a small group, it was much more personal and you hot to know the people better. We had a Lighthouse Keeper with us, Fred Poole who was keeper at Graves lighthouse and at Deer Island lighthouse in Boston Harbor (before it was turned into that god-awful pole/stick light.) He added little anecdotes about being a keeper many times throughout the day - he actually worked under the command of Ken Black. We had a very diverse group with us as well. The other presenters at the Symposium did a fabulous job, both Hannah and Michael respectively. All of us got into a wonderful dialogue and we compared notes, which was also great. I think a lot of people got a lot of that as well. The Sheraton South Portland I must say was a first class operation all the way - their service was impeccable! This will be the same hotel we will be using next year for Headlights - very impressive, in addition it was kind of them to donate the room for the day.

As far as the presentation itself - I thought it went very well, I did my portion first on the elements of design, and then I did Gary's presentation (which drew some ooohs and aahhhs from the crowd), then we went into the watercolor portion of the program which was very interesting, we ended with Michael talking about two fabulous photographs he took of Portland Head Lighthouse. We had lunch (I recommend the Hannaford Platters if you are having a function - they were fresh and delicious!)

We went over to Spring Point Ledge and realized how very HOT it was out! The lighthouse was great to see close up! (after a nearly exhausting walk across the breakwater and an interesting climb up a couple of ladders) The canopy was just about finished. We actually found a space in the canopy where we could shoot our cameras up through which was an interesting perspective. The boat traffic was busy going by the lighthouse, and we saw tugboats, ferries and all sorts of boats! The inside exhibit was quite nice, and the lighthouse was very, very clean. They even had brought in some antique furniture as well. There was a wedding right near the lighthouse, as we walked back.

We went over to the Bug light next. The sunlight was just right for picture taking - and there was another wedding nearby as well, with a bagpiper (we felt bad for him, with his outfit on in 90 degree weather). We took some pictures and reflected upon Hannah's watercolor she had done of Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse. It was the first time she had painted the lighthouse, and she did a very fine job of it!

We then decided to go over to Portland Head next - and there was ANOTHER wedding on the grounds here as well! And we were greeted by historian Bill Thompson (he's written many books on local maritime history, lighthouses, and lore). We spoke with him and explored the area. The air was so hazy that the horizon line around the lighthouse seemed to blur with the sky. It was very picturesque! Then it was all over! Some people went over to Cape Elizabeth to the Two Lights State Park - it was still rather hot out, and we went to have dinner. If the heat of the day wasn't so hot it would have been a perfect day. But it was a great time - we are planning another one for Portland next year! And possibly another one at a different location. We raised $125 for ALF. We are going to move the date of the Symposium for September, and try different avenues of advertising.

Special thanks to Jeremy for spending time with me to put together the presentation and for lending me the equipment I needed to run the program (computer and LED projector), I couldn't have done it without his assistance. Thanks to Gary for his excellent Power Point presentation, it was great to include it in the program, it impressed Michael Francis Barry! We gave away a few door prizes, everyone got a Little Light of Portland Head - donated by Harbour Lights as well. There was lighthouse music in the background, and Hannah sold many of her watercolors of Maine Lighthouses. There was something for everyone. One man took over 100 pictures by the end of the day. People were seeking new ways to take pictures, it was easy to see! One woman was a teacher and bringing back the information she learned to teach her students. It was a good day!

Thanks too, to my dear Husband who worked behind the scenes to set up, break down, watch my daughter and made it all go so flawlessly - and unfortunately, when he and my daughter walked the breakwater to Spring Point Ledge, they had just closed it, and they couldn't get in for a tour, which would have been a highlight for them.

Film has been dropped off and pictures should be up later this week.

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158408 08/30/04 12:21 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
OK, Roxie, now give us the complete report of the outing....

Sounds like you did have a busy and informative day. I'm sure those who were able to attend benefitted from the knowledge they gained. We will look forward to seeing some of your pictures here in the next few days. Thanks for your work organizing the event and for sharing your report.

Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158409 08/31/04 02:40 PM
RFoster Offline
Roxie, I wanted to attend, but as you know had to cancel due to other plans (granddaughter's 5th Birthday Party). It sounds like a great time and I'm sure folks learned from this experience. I look forward to seeing some of the images.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158410 09/03/04 04:02 PM
Roxie Offline OP
OP Offline
Pictures!

The boat traffic was wonderful!

You can see the opening in the canopy where they were making repairs.

Looking up through the canopy that was being repaired, an interesting angle!

This was my favorite picture of the day. I had just climbed down the ladder to the light and turned around to see the tug going out. I thought that this was an interesting perspective of the underside of the lighthouse as well. It came as just as well as I had hoped it would!

The architecture of the Bug is truly dazzling!

The park was so crowded with people - there was a wedding and a busload and so many people wadnering around, it really created challenging opportunites for photos!

Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158411 09/03/04 04:12 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Nice photos, Roxie! I especially like the one through the wedge. Looks like a fun time was had by all! laugh

Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158412 09/03/04 04:12 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Love your pictures Roxie...the one with the tugboat is especially great cool Portland Head is my all time favorite...it was also the first HL piece I purchased.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158413 09/03/04 07:04 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
You did pretty good at hiding people in the Portland Head pic, Roxie. I also agree with you on the tug boat picture - very interesting vantage point and content in that picture. Everything is kind of pointing at the tug.

Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158414 09/04/04 09:48 PM
Too Many Stairs Offline
Great photos, Roxie!

Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Photographer
Save The Bay
-Aaron
Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158415 09/04/04 09:53 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Roxie,

Great pictures. I love those Maine lighthouses. My wife and I were up in your neck of the woods yesterday and I finally got out to see Marblehead Light, Derby and Ft. Pickering. We stayed at the park in Marblehead for quite a while. Nice location. Could even see Bakers Island from there. Will post my pictures tomorrow. Thanks for yours.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Portland Maine Lighthouse Symposium #158416 09/04/04 11:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I think my favorite is the one of Portland Head. You solved the problem of 'too many people' well in this one. Looks like a moderate telephone that 'compacted' the perspective.

Very nice work on them all. I sure wish I could get to Maine to view all the lighthouses some day.

Moderated by  Bob Ott, wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,251 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users