Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pensacola lighthouse access #15926 10/14/99 02:17 PM
F
foghornkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I will be heading to Florida in a couple of months and will probably be visiting Pensacola light again as I did last year. I was most disappointed that there was not access to the lighthouse museum. A naval officer told me that one had to find a special office and request months in advance to have access. The light is surrounded by a fence and signs say stay out. The light is located on the Naval Air Station very near to the Naval Air Museum and 1000s of people go past the light on their way to this museum every month. It would very nice if the lighthouse museum was open to the public every day. There should be plenty of personnel who could be available to supervise the visitors.
Do you think that the public should have access? If so, how about contacting your US Senators and Representatives about this matter.
Pensacola light is an active aid to navigation and is maintained by the Coast Guard. I heard that the fresnel lens was to be taken out, but not what was to be done with it. Does anyone have any additional info as to what, if any, decisions have been made?

foghornkeeper

foghornkeeper
Re: Pensacola lighthouse access #15927 10/15/99 01:44 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Foghorn-

Here is a link to site about Pensacola light. Article in it contains name of a person who gave tour. Perhaps you could track him down and plead your case??

http://users.erols.com/lthouse/plt.htm

Spent better part of a year in school in Pensacola at Corry Field courtesy of the Navy. Sure did enjoy it.

Dave

Re: Pensacola lighthouse access #15928 10/15/99 09:33 AM
F
foghornkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks a bunch,Dave. Good info and nice pictures. I sure would like to see that lens. foghornkeeper

foghornkeeper
Re: Pensacola lighthouse access #15929 10/15/99 06:26 PM
LamarB Offline
The tower is maintained by the USCG. Except for special occasions (like Navy Day) they do not give tours of the tower. The keeper's dwelling is now U.S. Navy offices. To arrange a tour of the keeper's dwelling and grounds call (904) 434-5455. This is the number for the Pensacola Historical Society. Ask them about a tour. They'll give you the phone number of the person currently in charge of public tours. You'll need to make an appointment. My contact has since retired. While you have the Historical Society on the phone, ask them about the book they publish on the Pensacola lighthouse history. It's an excellent buy.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,648 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users