Print Thread
The Pharos #145356 01/20/05 06:52 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
L
Ok some of you are chuckling about this that I posted this again on ebay and it didn't sell so I am asking the ones with more knowledge on this what would you say is a good price for all 5

Thanks

Larry
Re: The Pharos #145357 01/20/05 10:37 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I am not chuckling
I agree with you it is worth at least $700
The problem right now is that the buyers don’t agree.

What has happened with harbour lights and other collectables is
That buyers are sitting back with the attitude that if I cannot get this one
For what I want to pay, I will wait and the next one will be cheaper.
That is true with most of the Harbour lights, but I don’t feel it is true
About the Pharos.

Back in 2000 all the collectors on the forum that wanted one was able to purchase one at retail and $40 dollars shipping. Some got extras and thought they could make some extra money on them. Too many collectors knew that they could go on the Harbour Light web site and find the names of all the dealers in UK. With some phone calls or emailing, a collector could trace down the rest of the Pharos that was still for sale.
This kept the secondary market down.

All of that is exhausted and even if you did find a set of Pharos in the UK for retail. Correct me if I am wrong Rich, but with the increase of shipping and the exchange rate, I would not be surprised that a set would cost over $400 or even $500 from the UK.
The other thing that is happening is that the extras that collectors had are dwindling.

In addition, here is the reality check. We all know that there were 400 produced, but how many are in the US.
50 or 150? That is less than the original Cape Hatteras.
200? That is less than the misspelled Split Rock.
All 400? That is less than the NPL mini and the Burrows Island OR.

The highest bid on ebay at this time was $380.12. If you want to sell it now you may have to settle for $350 to $400. If you hold out for a year or two I feel that your goal is obtainable. One thing that will help you on ebay, is you should start a lower bid and set your reserve at what you want. You will see more action and when collectors bid against each other they will drive the price up. You may want to try again with a low starting bid and a reserve of $500 or $600. This way if no one reaches your reserve nobody knows what you really wanted but you. You can always contact the highest bidder and sell to him.

DANIEL
Re: The Pharos #145358 01/20/05 10:53 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Not knowing that much about Ebay, I agree with Daniel on setting a MUCH lower starting bid and do protect yourself with whatever you want by setting your reserve. That said, shipping from the UK for my three British Isles by Air Parcel was close to $150.00. UPS gave me a price for the same three pieces of $320.00. That's quite an increase from the $40.00 a few years ago for the five Pharoes. If memory serves me I paid $240.00 + $40.00 shipping for the Pharos. A price of $500.00 might be reasonable but I don't think you will get that much unless it's the last step in completing a collection. I think $400.00 is more reasonable at this time. A year from now might be different and you may get $500.00, but, you may also only get $300.00. How much of a gambler are you? Also, in calling EVERY dealer in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland looking for my British Isles collection, I did not find any dealer with a complete Pharos collection(one or two dealers had some odd balls left) so that may be to your advantage. Lots of luck.

Rich
Re: The Pharos #145359 01/21/05 06:57 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
L
Thanks for your imput smile

Larry

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,012 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users