Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GLOW Clearance #144736 05/16/09 02:17 PM
SDudley Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Anybody look at the Lighthouse Depot website lately to see what they have done to the market for Glows. I'm not real sure if I was another dealer I would be real happy with them right now.

Re: GLOW Clearance #144737 05/16/09 11:59 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Yes, but it's not the whole line... just the GLOW's that have been retired. However if I were a dealer who had these in-stock....

I just ordered some of these from Lighthouse Depot. After looking at the Depot's Clearance list I emailed "MY DEALER" and asked him if he would match the Depot's clearnace price for the few pieces that I wanted. He didn't have any of them in-stock. However he told me that even if he had had, there was no way that he could sell them below his dealer cost!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: GLOW Clearance #144738 05/17/09 11:01 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I don’t know if it is still this way with the new owners, but when it was under the Younger and Associates ownership, the dealers where required to sell the lighthouses at a %100 mark up for what they paid for them. So that means that anything sold at a 50% discount would be considered breaking even. One dealer told me that adding in the cost of shipping and her cost for handling fee’s (paying her employee’s to unload them and stack them on the shelves) that anything less than a %40 discount was a loss.

So with all of this in mind Lighthouse Depot is taking a great loss and is undermining the ability of other Harbour Lights dealers to sell their GLOWs. Haven’t stores in the past been ostracized from the dealership, for selling discounted Harbour Lights?

I assume that since these discounted lighthouses are 49 of the 54 Glows that have been suspended, this allows the Lighthouse depot to unload them at any loss. But is this fair to the other dealers? Are the rules different for GLOWs or lighthouses that have been condemned suspended. Or is this a mass Exodus for survival for Lighthouse depot or even for Harbour Lights itself.

Did I add alittle spice to this topic?
laugh

DANIEL
Re: GLOW Clearance #144739 05/17/09 12:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't buy GLOWs for the simple reason that when I began collecting HLs, I was told that Harbour Lights would not make a GLOW that wasn't first made as a LE. Granted many of the GLOWs are actually better looking than the LEs but if I tell you something , you can count on me to keep my word. ALL dealers, who have "gutted-it-out", should also be allowed to sell at the same price levels with the same margins as LHD. Otherwise, eBAY will be flooded (all ready is) with Glows.

Re: GLOW Clearance #144740 05/17/09 12:34 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
When Harbour Lights announced the discontinued GLOW list, they offered them to all the dealers at a very low price.

If dealers had wanted to purchase them then, they could have gotten them for the price at which LH Depot is now selling them. And the dealers were told they could even sell them at less than suggested retail.

This is a 'liquidation sale' moving out products that, in the past, did not sell well enough and so were not going to be reordered from the factory. In other industries, they would be sold to stores like Ross and Big Lots.

This sale generates cash flow.

Getting anything for them at this point in time is money back in the bank for Harbour Lights. You take a loss just to recover some of the money you invested in the product months or years ago.

Better than getting nothing back and having the product sit in the warehouse taking up space.

These are tough economic times; tougher still for businesses that live on 'disposable income.'

Very few people think they have 'disposable' income in uncertain times. We are saving money, hoarding cash wondering just how bad it could get.

There are economists who say that this depression will affect families' saving and spending patterns for at least a generation (20 years+).

Use of credit is sharply decreasing (and not just because banks are reluctant to make loans); household saving is increasing. People are putting off purchases. We're making do with what we have and we're buying at Wal-Mart and McDonald's to save money.

This recession will be over not when the stock market goes up, but when the unemployment returns to under 5%.

(Note the percent sign goes AFTER the number, not before it.)

Re: GLOW Clearance #144741 05/17/09 12:38 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In my opinion, GLOW's are no different then LE's. Made out of the same material, about the same size.

I have many lighthouses represented, in my curios, by both the LE and GLOW versions.

Thanks to the sale, I just purchased Jupiter Inlet - FL, Yaquina Head - OR, and Bass Harbor - ME.

I now have both LE & GLOW Bass Harbors.

*** I do agree that it's not fair to dealers that have these already in stock. They should be allowed to sell at same price as LHD, with HL refunding the difference in the dealer cost.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: GLOW Clearance #144742 05/17/09 01:19 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
(Note the percent sign goes AFTER the number, not before it.)
John
I got it correct %%66% of the time. wink
With my squinting eyes I was so happy just to find the Percentage symbol.
All the letters I can type without looking but symbols I have to look for. As usual in a big hurry and didn't properly prewf reed.

DANIEL
Re: GLOW Clearance #144743 05/17/09 01:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Actually, got it wrong 66% (right 33%) Gotcha, still had the training wheels on for the % key! whistling

Re: GLOW Clearance #144744 05/17/09 02:21 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
John
I am studying for an exam. I sat down to study and about a half hour later I realized I quoted the wrong percentage. bash I came back to make the correction and it looks like it is too late. Yes, You caught me on a double. towel

DANIEL
Re: GLOW Clearance #144745 05/17/09 03:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is the most activity this Forum has had in weeks. Happy I could play the part of instigator.

Re: GLOW Clearance #144746 05/18/09 08:43 PM
S
Sooner Schooner Offline
Wacko
Wacko
S
For what it is worth... This makes the product available to folks who could not afford these before. Or, at least, not very often and/or not multiple items in a single purchase. Also, there are a fair amount of people who don't have dealers near enough to their location to purchase directly from. It is a double-edged sword, but it is not all bad.

Re: GLOW Clearance #144747 05/19/09 04:53 PM
ginnyanne Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Maybe it will encourage some new people to become collectors.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,338 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users